Automated way to sort wheaties!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Automated way to sort wheaties!

Postby pennypinch » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 pm

I just got my ryedale and I'm very excited to use it tomorrow...
However, it seems to me that if im sorting in bulk I will lose my wheaties unless I pick them out by hand. This doesn't seem very efficient...

Is there any known way to automatically sort wheaties from cu pennies?
pennypinch

Re: Automated way to sort wheaties!

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm

pennypinch wrote:I just got my ryedale and I'm very excited to use it tomorrow...
However, it seems to me that if im sorting in bulk I will lose my wheaties unless I pick them out by hand. This doesn't seem very efficient...

Is there any known way to automatically sort wheaties from cu pennies?

It isn't as bad as what you think. Sorting the wheat concentrate that is ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 am

Checking the reverse of cents is far more efficient then checking the date of each cent. Watch out for Indians too. Never know when they will pop up.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 am

There is no machine that can sort out the wheat pennies. HCBTT has his own version of an optical sorter. You use your eyes.

There was someone trying to create an optical sorter, but had very little (if any) success.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 am

slickeast wrote:HCBTT has his own version of an optical sorter.

I have TWO of those.
uthminsta

Postby pennypinch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 pm

How does your optical sorter work?
I was thinking... Maybe there is a way to develop a machine that will sort based on how the picture on the penny is raised as opposed to being flat...
pennypinch

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Haha, I meant my eyes. My left eye is a better optical sorter than my right... but they both work pretty good. Not as quick as a Ryedale though.
uthminsta

Postby pennypinch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Thats funny! I pictured a machine that is hooked up to a computer where the pennies roll in and you click yes or no depending on the picture on the penny... Aha! You do like a thousand and then the computer can automate the decision making process based on the answers given in the past... Hmm... I wonder how much it would cost to develop?

How do the bigger sorters who sort by the ton do it? I'm sure they don't hand sort millions of pennies to separate the wheaties...
pennypinch

Postby andrewjackson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 pm

8-) . Hi, I have found that by using a zinc in the ryedale instead of a copper it works better at seperating the two. Only problem is the steel canadians end up in copper pile also. Use a magnet to seperate canadians. Keep the canadians seperate 98% copper as opposed to 95%.After processing with ryedale I check both copper and zinc manualy. Takes a lot of time but earlier this week I found a 1909 vdb , and today I found my first 1921 crowned king george hiding in the zinc :D
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby geewhzz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 am

the best way i know of is to get a flat piece of either glass or clear plexyglass. dump pennies onto it, make sure they're all flat by shaking it back and forth, visually scan the top, then somehow devise a way to get under it and look under it.
geewhzz

Postby GTOJohn » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 am

i run a batch thru my ryedale, with a copper in it. then, i eye-ball the coppers before i run them thru the ryedale a second time (like someone said - dumping them on a flat surface).
on the reject pile, i look at them quickly - any wheats really stand out compared to the new ones! A few days ago i found my first indian head in the reject pile.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing