Shipping Pennies the Proper Way

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Shipping Pennies the Proper Way

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Someday you may sell some of your pennies. If you do you will want to ship them safely. I have heard some horror stories about penny shipments busting open during shipment. I would hate for that to happen to any of our forum members. I thought I would share some shipping tips here. Hopefully others can share some ideas as well.

If the shipment gets damaged in transit it is bad for both the buyer and seller. I have been shipping large quantities of pennies for several years. I shipped about 2 tons last year. I once shipped an entire mint sewn bag in what is now a $4.60 Flat Rate envelope.. it was $3.20 back then. The mistake most people make is not properly reinforcing the box. Assume the post office is going to bounce this box a few times. They sometimes abuse heavy flat rate boxes. First, you need lots of the good 3M tape. Costco is usually the best place to get that. You run 5 stips long ways across the bottom.. then 5 strips crossways to that.. going to about the middle of the outside of the box on each end.
Then you need to tape the entire middle of the box. The place most people have their flat rate boxes fail is on the corner seams of the box. You run 3 strips all the way around the box. This cucoons the box in tape and also adds moisture resistance and structural integrity. Now for the interior of the box you want to add additional reinforcement. You take a second box (they are free) and tear into 4 sections at the seams. You will have 2 narrow sections and 2 wide sections. You place the narrow sections on the bottom with one flap up on each end to reinforce the bottom. Next you will take the wide sections and cut off about half of one end tab on each. Then you place them in the box on the bottom with one flap running the length on each side. When you finish it will look like you assembled a little interior box inside the main box. Next you tape the 4 inside corners. This gives your inside reinforcement more structural integrity. Now you add the pennies. Standard shipping quantity is 7500 coins in 3 packages of 2500 each. If shipping 2500 or 5000 pennies use 1 or 2 stuffed $25 penny boxes as spacers. You can ship them loose by using the free tyvek priority bags and taping them after sealing to create tyvek penny bricks or you can roll all the coins up and place them in 3 penny boxes. The penny boxes fit perfectly in the Flat rate box but if using those you might want to eliminate the 2 reinforcing side flaps so the sides don't pooch out. Also, tape the penny boxes closed just in case they get bounced hard. Next you want to put packing material on top to eliminate movement of the contents. Many boxes fail because the weight shifts and tears the box during handling so you want to make sure there is no place for the pennies to move. Best and cheapest way to do this is with used penny wrappers. You don't want them loose in there so they fly everywhere when the box is opened so you make a packing pillow by stuffing them into one of the free tyvek envelopes and sealing it. This is a good way to get rid of your used penny wrappers. Now you close the lid. Tape it just like you did the bottom.. 5 strips each way. You can print a priority shipping label through PayPal and you get Free delivery confirmation if you do it that way. Then you just tape the label onto the box. I also print a seperate address sticker and put it on the box under where I attach the shipping label just in case the PO manages to destroy your shipping label. I also put a seperate return address label in the upper left hand corner of the box. Also not a bad idea to include a packing slip inside the box as well as attaching an extra shipping label to each interior package. You have to take the package down to the post office since anything over 1 pound is considered a potential bomb.

Hope everyone's penny packages arrive safely.
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: Shipping Pennies the Proper Way

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Hello sir.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Reposted from the original realcent,with help from TPTB,thank you :)

Thanks to HCBTT and other great members here I am now a veteran shipper.So when a member asked about how to ship pennies I instantly pointed them to this post.I figured I would add my two cents and provide some pictures.This is the routine I follow,not saying its the only way,just one way to go.My main focus here is the inner box and how I construct it with pictures to make it clearer for the novice shipper.So after taping the bottom of your outer box with overlaping tape in each direction and extra pieces over the corners and edges its time to make the inner box.Find the glued seam that holds it together and carefully open it.Now you have a flat box.
Next rip it down the center so you have 2 halfs
Now its necessary to remove the side flaps and a small amount from the edges so it will fit easy,a sharp razor knife and a flat cutting surface are your friends here.
Tape the pieces at the bottoms so you have a easier time inserting them into your outer box.
Push them in and tape them in so they won't shift around when putting in your bags.
Then open a tyvek mailer at the seams for a lining for a extra layer of protection.
Tape the mailer in to save some frustration when packing in the bags.

You can then use another mailer to lay on top,tucking in the excess around the bags.
It may be necessary to remove a inch or two from the inner box flap edge before taping it,so the outer box will close without a gap.
After making a few of these you will get them to close perfectly and you can be confident that the pennies you ship will get to their destination intact even if they are mishandled,dropped,or used as a stress releiver for the overworked postal staff which I have to say do a very good job and should be respected for the job they do.Be sure to mark them heavy,we don't want anyone injured.Good luck and don't forget to use lots of tape[:D]
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Joogaler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:03 pm

When making the inner box, I usually just take a medium flat rate box and tape the bottom of it really well, and stick it into the outer box. Is the cutting of a medium box method stronger?

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:09 am

The cutting makes it fit better. Also makes it easier to close the outer box. You have to experiment a little to see how much reinforcement you can actually add and still bring the package in at just under 70 pounds. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 pm

any else notice the "When using Priority Mail, cash and cash equivalents and all hazardous materials are prohibited" on the flat rate boxes? does that mean we can't technically shipping pennies like this?
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 pm

You're not shipping money. You're shipping copper discs....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:48 am

NotABigDeal wrote:You're not shipping money. You're shipping copper discs....

".. for jewelry making" :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PennyPauper » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:19 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
NotABigDeal wrote:You're not shipping money. You're shipping copper discs....

".. for jewelry making" :mrgreen:

"ya... thats the ticket!"
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Someone recently sent me about 30# of 00 buckshot inside one of those Tyvek mailer envelopes the US Post Office has on it's shelves, and put inside a fixed rate box. Just dug one out, it's roughly 11.5"x15". The seller said he always used them as a liner for things like buckshot. The outer box, unreinforced and untaped, was torn/broken, but the buckshot was all there. If/when I ship, I'm going to try to remember to double wall the box as above, and use the Tyvek liner.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Side note for Small Flat Rate Boxes because I have seen it several times. Make sure to tape the heck out of them. Especially the perforated seam. If you ship any decent weight in one or an object that is loose, you risk the seam opening and your contents leaving. I have gotten boxes of silver where I can see all the rolls coming out. I have also received these with silver missing! Make sure you tape the heck out of the seam and flap!
TXBullion

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat May 28, 2011 12:36 pm

also, with the small boxes, they seem stronger so people don't do as much. besides taping it into a cocoon, you need to fully stuff the insides to cushion the coins and prevent rattles. uncushioned coins create greater force to break open the box and invite theft.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Any objection to making this a sticky?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Any objection to making this a sticky?

No - it should be a sticky.

I will note as a postscript, as one who has rec'd pennies from RCers shipped several different ways, that having the pennies in separate internal containers (be they bags, boxes, etc) is critical. One person here ships in two sealed cloth coin bags. Awesome method. They ain't breaking, and if the box cracks open a bit - the bags are too large to escape. I've rec'd rolled boxed coins which also worked ok. I've rec'd them in the HD coinlock bags - excellent. And the tyvek bags are very tough and excellent for use, BUT... if the tyvek bags are loaded "loose", the coins will constantly shift, and the bags will rub each others, and (as they are fiber filled and rather abrasive) they will literally wear holes in each other (and/or themselves). Either put the tyvek bags within plastic bags themselves, or do what hoard suggested and tape the bagged coins into a brick.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby galenrog » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:09 pm

I've been looking at several way of packing the medium flat rate box. I have found that I can fit six small flat rate boxes in the medium. It is a good snug fit. Each small flat rate box holds 1500 cents, which I pack into ziplock bags of 500 each. 9000 cents into the medium box. I've bounced this around a bit by dropping it to concrete from every angle I could thing of. The medium box gets quite a bit of damage, but I could not get any pennies to spill. I like this method, although others like the way they do it. Anything I put up for sale here will be packed this way.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:55 pm

galenrog wrote:I've been looking at several way of packing the medium flat rate box. I have found that I can fit six small flat rate boxes in the medium. It is a good snug fit. Each small flat rate box holds 1500 cents, which I pack into ziplock bags of 500 each. 9000 cents into the medium box. I've bounced this around a bit by dropping it to concrete from every angle I could thing of. The medium box gets quite a bit of damage, but I could not get any pennies to spill. I like this method, although others like the way they do it. Anything I put up for sale here will be packed this way.

After purchasing pennies from Galenrog, I can say that this is a great way to pack. His package arrived as if my neighbor had left it on my porch.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:47 pm

galenrog wrote:I've been looking at several way of packing the medium flat rate box. I have found that I can fit six small flat rate boxes in the medium. It is a good snug fit. Each small flat rate box holds 1500 cents, which I pack into ziplock bags of 500 each. 9000 cents into the medium box. I've bounced this around a bit by dropping it to concrete from every angle I could thing of. The medium box gets quite a bit of damage, but I could not get any pennies to spill. I like this method, although others like the way they do it. Anything I put up for sale here will be packed this way.

I have done this method before. I think I was selling 60lbs of copper. Trying to sell $100 face might push this method over the 70lb mark.

Now I just double box and use canvas bags and a lot of tape.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks to Spikeanator for helping me relocate this thread...

A) This needs to be made a sticky! (Who can make that happen?)

B) I was just told yesterday by my postmaster (not a clerk) that reinforcement of the faces of a flat rate box is not allowed. Seams/edges can be taped, but not the faces, to do so violates the terms of the flat rate rule, and he will start charging me postage due based on non flat rate weight on anything improperly done, going forward. He said he had no problem with the heavy boxes themselves - the weight wasn't the issue - he is aware (yikes! I have a reputation!) that I've rec'd a number of others that were not so taped and they arrived fine. Note that this doesn't prevent internal reinforcement (though it wouldn't be as effective) or reinforcement of the internal box on its external surface (this would work fine).

Comments?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Despite the above, when I read the USPS rules and FAQ I get a different message. The greatest guidance is given in their FAQ, which says this below. I think if there is any question it would be whether or not the self-adhesive is being used as the primary closure for the box. If they think you are strapping a box closed with tape that would not otherwise close iwthout the tape, they could argue that you've altered the box.

Using Tape on Envelopes/Boxes

· Can tape be used to close, reinforce or enlarge Flat Rate envelopes / boxes?

When mailing using the Priority Mail® service, Express Mail® service or Priority Mail International® flat rate, the contents of the flat rate envelope must be confined within the envelope with the adhesive provided on the flap as the primary means of closure. Contents must also be confined within the box secured with tape.

The flap must have the ability to close and adhere to the envelope.
Tape may be applied to reinforce the flap of the envelope and to secure the box.
The design /shape of the envelope or the box may not enlarged by any means.
Note: The design of the container may not be enlarged by opening the sides, and the container may not be reconstructed in any way.

· Mail was returned to me because there was tape on the stamp. Why?

When stamps are covered, the canceling machines cannot imprint directly on the stamp; therefore, they are not acceptable for mailing. The machines must also be able to read the ultra-violet ink on stamps to detect them on the envelope. If your stamp had only been partially covered, perhaps at the top and bottom, the stamp may have been acceptable for processing.

· Tape on shipping label barcodes – is it okay?

No. Barcodes with tape over them cannot be scanned by our equipment.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Further, with direct reference:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/123.htm

1.5 Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes
Any amount of material (up to 70 pounds) may be mailed in a USPS-produced Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box. When sealing a Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container, provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Took a RC'ers box to the Postmaster today after our recent talk when he asked to speak with me about incoming boxes, and asked him what specifically was his beef with the most recent set that caught his eye. This is one Postmaster's view, keep in mind. However, from my perspective, it's the one that matters the most to me since he's the one that passes judgment on my incoming as well as outgoing.

His beef was that the box was fully encased in tape, both clear (over the bulk) and the fiber reinforced (middle and edges). As to what is tolerated, in a nutshell, in his view most of the box can be taped. He said it is fine to tape the seams and even the edges. And he is fine with a single-width of loop around the middle of the box in two perpendicular directions. He even suggested doing two complete loops around the flaps top to bottom and around, on the squarish flat-rate box. When you're done with that, most of the box would have tape. But if the entire box is taped he said they consider that a box modification.

Right or wrong, it's what I personally have to work with.
68Camaro

Postby mflugher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:29 pm

mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

i just thought i would throw in my 2 cents.......

I used to ship coins quite a bit on eBay.....lately I have been reminded on how to ship, I basically follow the above original 1st post, but I do a few other things for security.

I hate to hear jingleing in the box that sounds like coins, so I usually put them all in a canvas coin bag, and then inside of a plastic grocery bag, and then tape the hell out of it, until there is no jingle, then I put it into two paper grocery bags. The box I tape inside and out, then I take cardboard scraps and re-inforce the corners inside, I also use a second box inside, but I cut it all up, and use the scraps as bumpers against the sides and corners, I always make sure there is no movement or sound coming from the inside. I always assume they are going to break my box or steal the contents, so I also, pre-dent the corners to make it more round, I also use a 2nd address label under the top label, and I tape over the upper half of the delivery conf. , and insurance. In addition I do a few other things too.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 am

frugi wrote:i just thought i would throw in my 2 cents.......

I used to ship coins quite a bit on eBay.....lately I have been reminded on how to ship, I basically follow the above original 1st post, but I do a few other things for security.

I hate to hear jingleing in the box that sounds like coins, so I usually put them all in a canvas coin bag, and then inside of a plastic grocery bag, and then tape the hell out of it, until there is no jingle, then I put it into two paper grocery bags. The box I tape inside and out, then I take cardboard scraps and re-inforce the corners inside, I also use a second box inside, but I cut it all up, and use the scraps as bumpers against the sides and corners, I always make sure there is no movement or sound coming from the inside. I always assume they are going to break my box or steal the contents, so I also, pre-dent the corners to make it more round, I also use a 2nd address label under the top label, and I tape over the upper half of the delivery conf. , and insurance. In addition I do a few other things too.

I just got a box from Frugi. There was no rattle, and no chance of anything spilling out unless somebody took a crowbar to it. Very well packaged!
natsb88

Postby GGerrands » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:40 pm

From the USPS Website. Breakin' the law, washin' the dog!

"Terms of Agreement
I understand that Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for sending Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International. Misuse may be a violation of federal law."

lol...it's still getting sent.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing