Consider the copper-to-silver ratio

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Consider the copper-to-silver ratio

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:53 am

Here's a ratio you might have overlooked:

http://www.silverdoctors.com/forums/topic/silver-related-coppersilver-ratio-csr-severely-out-of-whack/

Talks about sorting, too. The writer is getting 30%. Wish I averaged those kinds of returns.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Consider the copper-to-silver ratio

Postby John_doe » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Very interesting. 8-) Dude has a lot of time on his hands, but I am glad he does so I do not have to do this. It would be even better if we had live charts like on coinflation with this information.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Nice post, good information. Copper ratios who woulda thought?
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 am

I use British copper pennies to compare silver to copper in coinage back then.

A 9.4 gram 1970 British copper penny being over 3x the weight US pennies made much much earlier. That is probably closer to the historical relative value ratio. Britain also started to remove silver as early as 1947, much eariler than the US or Canada.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:11 am

I got no response on this post made some time ago, but I'll re-link it since there are a few takers for this topic here, in case of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14625
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 am

68Camaro wrote:I got no response on this post made some time ago, but I'll re-link it since there are a few takers for this topic here, in case of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14625

I like it. Certainly one rational way to consider the ratios.

Now would someone please point me to where I can find all the sunken, copper-hulled British ships?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:28 pm

"68Cam wrote:

So, how do gold and silver fall into this?

Well, silver was valued at a 71.1 to 1 ratio over copper, and gold at 1066.67 to 1 over copper.

Take that, and do the math, and the current values of silver and gold, expressed in constant copper prices, should be:

Silver: $236/toz
Gold: $3543/toz

And that's about where we expect these to go, BEFORE hyperinflation... when people stop relying on fiat promised of broken governments."

68 Cam:

Nice job of digging for the original information and extrapolation to here and now! I like it.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing