Metal Detecting:

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Metal Detecting:

Postby bsno2865 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 am

I was curious as to how many members here metal detect. It's really a great hobby of mine and it ties in with penny hoarding. I can collect up to $1.00/pennies easily in a few hours of detecting at parks and schools not to mention some jewelry and quarters. The best day for me for silver was back in February when I found two mercs, a 1939 & a 41. I have been very lucky to find quite a few wheaties too. I spend a dollar on batteries maybe once a month and I can pay for those in one trip detecting. A buddy of mine does well enough at times, he's able to fill his gas tank or buy groceries. Not bad............ :D :D :D
bsno2865
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Metal Detecting:

Postby CU Baker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Ive detected for about 35 yrs now. Have change over to almost all beach hunting and water hunting. The old knee cant take all of the bending and at the beach and in the water I can use my long handle scoops. I also find it a lot more profitable than the land hunting in my area. We have a half mile long beach in town here and usully gives up $250.00 to $700. in change each year along with the goodies, the gold and silver.
Last edited by CU Baker on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I've been a coin shooter since the late 70's. Bought my first discriminator back then and I've been at it every year since. My youngest son and I get together and go shooting every chance we get. At old churchyards and old schools when we get the chance. We do pick up alot of modern clad along the way. This year about $300 so far and $4 in face of 90%. Rings pop up every now and then. We've found 7 so far this year. Two sterling silver and two 14k gold. Between fishing, coin sorting, bank prospecting and coin shooting, I'm surprised we have time to keep our lawns mowed. Unfortunately, I'm like C U Baker in that my old knees aren't so good these days. My son runs circles around me now but I always did take my time and go for quality instead of quantity. It's a great hobby and I really enjoy it!
Last edited by DirtyFingers on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:00 pm

I carry my tesoro with me almost all the time. I'm lazy though I only coin shoot the surface, a bad back is not good for a lot of digging.

It's a great feeling, even to find a lawnmower bet up zinc.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:23 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:I've been a coin shooter since the late 70's. Bought my first discriminator back then and I've been at it every year since. My youngest son and I get together and go shooting every chance we get. At old churchyards and old schools when we get the chance. We do pick up alot of modern clad along the way. This year about $300 so far and $4 in face of 90%. Rings pop up every now and then. We've found 7 so far this year. Two sterling silver and two 14k gold. Between fishing, coin sorting, bank prospecting and coin shooting, I'm surprised we have time to keep our lawns mowed. Unfortunately, I'm like C U Baker in that my old knees aren't so good these days. My son runs circles around me now but I always did take my time and go for quality instead of quantity. It's a great hobby and I really enjoy it!

And the cool dad of the year award goes to.....drum roll please........DFingers

Way to include the boy and bring him up right! good man, good dad.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
DirtyFingers wrote:I've been a coin shooter since the late 70's. Bought my first discriminator back then and I've been at it every year since. My youngest son and I get together and go shooting every chance we get. At old churchyards and old schools when we get the chance. We do pick up alot of modern clad along the way. This year about $300 so far and $4 in face of 90%. Rings pop up every now and then. We've found 7 so far this year. Two sterling silver and two 14k gold. Between fishing, coin sorting, bank prospecting and coin shooting, I'm surprised we have time to keep our lawns mowed. Unfortunately, I'm like C U Baker in that my old knees aren't so good these days. My son runs circles around me now but I always did take my time and go for quality instead of quantity. It's a great hobby and I really enjoy it!

Not only that ,but it comes in handy with us bad back, bad knees dad's.

Sterling is low to the ground and he still actually likes to dig.

I'm not a good dad, I'm a slave-master.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

Thank you, Rodebaugh. My son has been a coin shooter since he was tall enough to swing a discriminator and now the student has become the teacher. He's pretty good at it. His first one was a Bounty Hunter. Now he uses a Mine Lab. I still use my old Ace 250. I know I should step up to something modern with more bells and whistles but I've had pretty good luck with the old Garrett.

Dirty Fingers
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Thogey wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

Thogey, you're including your son so that does make you a good dad in my eyes. My son is 22 and he'll sometimes shut his discriminator off and without request he'll come dig or probe for me. You're right, it is handy especially towards the end of the shoot.

DirtyFingers
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Thogey wrote:

Trust you me...that boy loves to slave when there is a chance to find something cool/tresure hanging out with dad.

I have no kids as of yet, but I can say firsthand what a great time I have fishing, huntiung, senging, auctioning, heck you name it....when it's just me and the old man.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXTim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 pm

MD'r here.
In the right places you can find some nice old coins but for sheer quantity you can't beat coin roll hunting!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 pm

I picked up the Ace 250 last month and it's very addicting. Each time out is like getting a couple of boxes from the bank. But the difference is that you know the boxes eventually will be empty in your hands....with you wanting another one.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby bman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:10 am

I've been MDing for close to 10 years now. I was the president of the local club for a few years and am currently the Vice President. I stgarted out with a Bounty Hunter and I use a Fisher F75 now. I get out 1 or 2 times a week.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby abe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:44 pm

I love using my detector and I found an old school today way out in the country. The school is around 70 years old and is quite small. I have no idea if anyone has already detected it, but I'm gonna try it anyway.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing