Biggest copper hoard.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Biggest copper hoard.

Postby pennypicker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41 pm

I agree with Highroller. Everytime I pull a copper I know that is one more zinc penny the government will have to make. I'm a newbie hand sorter and in three weeks I have pulled 16,000 cu pennies out of circulation from the San Bernardino, California area. Sure it is small but in the big picture we all (collectively) will force the government to call it quits on the penny--I hope. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby gothboi30 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:39 am

pennypicker wrote:I agree with Highroller. Everytime I pull a copper I know that is one more zinc penny the government will have to make. I'm a newbie hand sorter and in three weeks I have pulled 16,000 cu pennies out of circulation from the San Bernardino, California area. Sure it is small but in the big picture we all (collectively) will force the government to call it quits on the penny--I hope. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You sure as heck better hope the gov't DOES NOT stop minting/discontinues the cent. THINK ABOUT IT. Do you honestly think that all merchants are going to round odd-cent amounts down?? NO!! They will round all odd cent amounts UP to the nearest .05. that might not sound like such a big deal, but when you end up paying an extra .01-.04 PER TRANSACTION, it adds up to A LOT of extra $$$. Think about how many times per year you pay a bill or buy something. Hundreds? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Now add an extra .01 to .04 to EVERY SINGLE ONE of those transactions. I think you'll soon discover that adds up to A LOT of money....and that's A LOT of extra money that YOU'LL be paying....
gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

Postby winchester333 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:20 am

I have 63,000 pre-82 cents sorted by hand since 2006. My goal is 100,000 or about 685 pounds or so. Storage is 5000 per canvas bag, three bags per 5 gallon plastic bucket.

By the way, I've only found one Indian Head in all this time.
winchester333

Postby Ethon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

gothboi30 wrote:
pennypicker wrote:I agree with Highroller. Everytime I pull a copper I know that is one more zinc penny the government will have to make. I'm a newbie hand sorter and in three weeks I have pulled 16,000 cu pennies out of circulation from the San Bernardino, California area. Sure it is small but in the big picture we all (collectively) will force the government to call it quits on the penny--I hope. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You sure as heck better hope the gov't DOES NOT stop minting/discontinues the cent. THINK ABOUT IT. Do you honestly think that all merchants are going to round odd-cent amounts down?? NO!! They will round all odd cent amounts UP to the nearest .05. that might not sound like such a big deal, but when you end up paying an extra .01-.04 PER TRANSACTION, it adds up to A LOT of extra $$$. Think about how many times per year you pay a bill or buy something. Hundreds? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Now add an extra .01 to .04 to EVERY SINGLE ONE of those transactions. I think you'll soon discover that adds up to A LOT of money....and that's A LOT of extra money that YOU'LL be paying....

Good point, although i heard even if the penny is discontinued not everything will be rounded up to the nearest .05. Only when you are buying something with cash/change will it be rounded up, when buying things with a check/credit card things wont be rounded up.
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am

gothboi30 wrote:

When the first bill was introduced to eliminate the penny it stated that all transaction ending in 0-4 will be rounded down and all transactions ending in 6-9 will be rounded up. Of course this applies to cash transactions only.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

fasteddy wrote:Thats right slick, and I am not saying I have 500 tons...but I do have my barrel o pennies and it is taking longer than I expected to fill it. Life keeps getting in the way of sorting. And the fact that my CU is charging 8% to dump in their counters...ugh...have not paid to dump yet...just haven't dumped. Double ugh!

Fasteddy.......just ask the Credit Union for free wrappers and roll them up and return them so you have funds to get more coins to sort. It really isn't that difficult to reroll the coins. I do it after every roll of coins that I check so that task doesn't keep staring me in the face. I'm not overly fond of rerolling the coins but I have no other option if I want to continue sorting.

Misteroman.......would 1 3/4 inches in a quart canning jar count for a hoard???

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing