What is this error??

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What is this error??

Postby narragansett » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm

I scanned a pix of an error that I need identifying. I have the shortcut on my desktop and need to know how to attach it to a post on here. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by narragansett on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Re: help posting picture

Postby Zincanator » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Will be easiest if you have the pictures in a common format like jpeg. Then click the POST REPLY button below, then click the upload attachment tab and link to it that way.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Romalae » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm

If the above method doesn't work for you, I recommend the following:

Use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Imageshack in order to transfer your images from your desktop to the Internet. I recommend Imageshack because it's free and doesn't even require signing up. http://imageshack.us/

Once you upload the image to Imageshack, you'll want to copy the "Direct Link." Once you have this URL, you will come to Realcent and paste the copied URL within the image tag [/img], preceded by [img].

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby narragansett » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Scan0001.jpg
Scan0001.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

Thanks .you will have to scan around as the pic is small. I found this penny. Other side is 100% normal of the Lincoln Memorial. This side looks like melted chocolate. The only letters decipherable are NUM from UNUM and it is backwards like someone hammered another penny on top. But it is way too large. The other side shows no signs of being scratched or hammered or anything. I thought it was some type of brockage but I found no other examples.

You will have to move the side & bottom tabs to about midway to view the pic.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Romalae » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Here's the image confined to a smaller size, for convenience:
Attachments
coinhelp.PNG
coinhelp.PNG (66.94 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby narragansett » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks to the guys that helped me with this.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What is this error??

Postby bman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

maybe a brockage?
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 pm

I emailed Mike Diamond past President of Coneca http://conecaonline.org/ and asked him his thoughts. And ---

Nice find. It's a mid-stage brockage. Value should be around $25.

Mike
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm

I would say a good one
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Mike Diamond also writer for Coin World-- From http://www.coinworld.com/articles/printarticle/more-is-better-multiple-brockages-have-divers

'More is better': Multiple brockages have diverse origins
By Mike Diamond-Special to Coin World | 09-17-11
Article first published in September-2011, Expert Advice section of Coin World
For error collectors, the axiom “more is better” is deservedly applied to brockages.
A brockage is an incuse (sunken) mirror-image impression that is generated when a coin (or any piece of die-struck material) is struck into a planchet or another coin. Coins with two or more brockages on the same face are scarce and arise under a number of different circumstances.
A coin can be struck several times, with each strike generating a brockage. This can occur if a coin is struck several times by an early or mid-stage die cap, with movement of the coin between strikes. It can also occur if a previously-struck coin intrudes into the striking chamber on each strike. The same coin or different coins can be involved.
Multiple brockages are more often produced during a single strike. One simple scenario involves two previously-struck coins intruding simultaneously into the striking chamber. The massively broadstruck undated Lincoln cent depicted here shows two brockages of the reverse design lying side-by-side. The smaller brockage shows the Lincoln Memorial, the letters unite and the o from one. The larger brockage shows the memorial and the words one cent. The paired brockages were generated by two cents that landed on top of the planchet represented by the illustrated coin.
As the intrusive coins were struck, their expanding edges met in the middle to form a chain strike.
Every conceivable combination
Multiple brockages can also be generated by every conceivable combination involving a die cap and a free-floating coin that insinuates itself between the die cap and a planchet. The upper right quadrant of the illustrated 2000 Lincoln cent is occupied by a first-strike brockage from a partial (off-center) die cap. It is radially aligned with the die-struck design on the reverse face and is therefore an “aligned partial brockage” (other examples can be seen in the Jan. 17 “Collectors’ Clearinghouse”). The brockage consists of the lower right corner of the memorial, the designer’s initials (fg), and the letters e cent.
Before the strike, a free-floating cent with a 90 percent off-center strike intruded between the die cap and the planchet represented by the illustrated brockaged cent. The unstruck portion of the off-center cent left a featureless surface that occupies the left side of the 2000 cent. The struck tongue of metal left a small, centrally located brockage that partly overlaps and obscures the brockage generated by the die cap. It takes the form of a shallow, semilunar indentation that contains the upper left corner of the memorial and the adjacent word united.
An off-center planchet can also stick to a die cap when struck, transforming the off-center coin into a partial die cap. The two adherent die caps will then produce a double brockage, one of them an aligned partial brockage.
Multi-struck coin origin
An obvious source for a multiple brockage is a multi-struck coin. This scenario is illustrated by a broadstruck 1999 Lincoln cent with a 90 percent flipover partial brockage from a double-struck cent. One brockage consists of Lincoln’s head, the motto in god we trust and part of liberty. The second brockage consists of the front of Lincoln’s bust and the s of trust. Abnormally low striking pressure left impressions that are crisp and only slightly expanded.
From small to large on one coin
Our final example is a copper-alloy cent with three overlapping brockages of the Lincoln Memorial on the obverse face. The brockages follow a size progression, with the smallest being the clearest and most complete. This is a clashed cap strike reflecting two earlier collisions between the die cap and the reverse die.
The largest brockage is the primary brockage, generated by the original reverse design of the cent that adhered to the obverse die. After striking a few planchets, the expanded working face of the die cap struck the reverse die directly, picking up a new impression. This secondary raised design is responsible for the mid-size brockage, which can be referred to as the secondary brockage.
After striking a few more planchets, the working face of the die cap once again struck the reverse die directly. A fresh raised design was picked up by the working face and this is responsible for the smallest brockage, which can be termed the tertiary brockage.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 pm

bman wrote:maybe a brockage?

Great call!
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby narragansett » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you to all.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:41 pm

I've never heard of that before. Interesting find!

How or where did you find it?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby narragansett » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:49 pm

My wife picked up $50 of CWR at my bank. It was among the 807 wheaties and 1813 copper cents in that batch.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing