Best Gift for Bank Tellers?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Best Gift for Bank Tellers?

Postby Zig » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:07 pm

My tellers have been hooking me up lately.
Just this week they...
1. Gave me 3 rolls of wheats they had sorted themselves.
2. Marked a bag with an X they knew had a bunch of wheats.

What is the best gift for tellers who hook me up and have become my friends?

Thanks for the ideas.
Zig
Zig

Re: Best Gift for Bank Tellers?

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:25 pm

chocolate

any kind of chocolate :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Frank t » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:09 pm

sex
twice if they are funny lookin
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Coffee cards. Starbucks from Coinstar https://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCountingDetail/Starbucks
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 am

Definitely a good chocolate. Dark chocolate.
I give Hershey miniatures, m&M's, good for lots of goodwill.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Coffee cards. Starbucks from Coinstar https://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCountingDetail/Starbucks

Careful here, even though I agree with this idea. Unfortunately, I have found that this one doesn't work for me most of the time, as tellers or bank mgmt recently think that giftcards (of any kind) are technically a form of money, which would then possibly be seen as questionable motivation, bribery or whatever you want to call it. Sad indeed, as I don't see the harm at all in giftcards , especially if the staff at a given bank that I patronize really went out of their way for me. So then I substitute with other lovely items, such as:

1. Chocolate (of course!). I only buy the really good stuff and not the cheap crap. I actually hunt around for it.
2. Homemade goods, cookies, candies etc. This always works. :)
3. Something specialized and reserved for only your very best tellers. For this, I try to learn more about them over time and then get something that is unique only to them and with their initials on it, birthdate or whatever. These items usually take some preparation, creativity, time etc. Again, this is only for your very best teller, manager etc.
4. Ice cream on a very hot day. In this case, I will usually buy for the whole staff plus buy good bottled water to go with this, as some get thirsty when eating ice cream. I buy the small/tiny individual ice cream packs ($1-$2 ea) and different flavors so that they can choose. I use this one when I get something really good from the tellers and especially if it fills my coin albums. And yes, I show the better tellers my coin albums; the advantage here is that they actually will eagerly hunt for that type of coin for me (ex: wheat pennies).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dannan14 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm

There is something i've been wondering about folks that give gifts to and have a lot of communication with their tellers; are you in areas that do not have the bullet-proof glass wall between the lobby and the tellers? Despite the fact that the wall is clear it seems to create more "distance" between you and the teller. Most tellers don't even ask me why i want so much change so i rarely have an opportunity to develop a rapport with them.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Zig » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:04 am

dannan14 wrote:There is something i've been wondering about folks that give gifts to and have a lot of communication with their tellers; are you in areas that do not have the bullet-proof glass wall between the lobby and the tellers? Despite the fact that the wall is clear it seems to create more "distance" between you and the teller. Most tellers don't even ask me why i want so much change so i rarely have an opportunity to develop a rapport with them.

For me its a small town bank, been banking there since I was a kid, and a couple of the tellers have been around for 10-15 yrs. So they know me well. They just unlock the first door to the vault now and let me rummage through the bagged coins while they watch. I grab what I want and pay and walk out (or cart out depending).
No on the bullet proof glass, only a glass window a few feet high so you couldn't grab anything with ease.

Zig
Zig

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am

If it is in the morning, I will bring a box of donuts (this is what I normally do). For Valentines, I brought in some chocolates. For Christmas, I will usually bring in a box of cordial cherries. I have also done a tub of licorice before, and a bunch of candy bars. Usually I try to get something that I know they can just put in the breakroom and snack on.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cent1225 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

If you have a Russell Stover nearby, they have 1 million dollar chocolate bars for a buck each. They are the size of a dollar bill. This girls get a kick out the $ figure and like the chocolate also.
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm

In additional to the chocolate (dark) my tellers have also requested Berry tea for the break room.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:34 pm

order a few large pizzas, pay over the phone with your C.C. and have them delivered around 11:00am. I did that once for the folks at my old bank. They used to sell me half dollar bags straight from the Brinks sorter. I once found 40-50 silver 1964 halves in a bag along with a several colonial coins from USA, England and Canada all in the same bag. It was the luckiest bag I ever found. They dont sell them anymore though, so I dont go in there anymore, it was bliss while it lasted.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby dannan14 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Zig wrote:For me its a small town bank, been banking there since I was a kid, and a couple of the tellers have been around for 10-15 yrs. So they know me well. They just unlock the first door to the vault now and let me rummage through the bagged coins while they watch. I grab what I want and pay and walk out (or cart out depending).
No on the bullet proof glass, only a glass window a few feet high so you couldn't grab anything with ease.

Zig

Wow! They let you in the vault! That's pretty cool. Thanks for the reply.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 pm

John_doe wrote:Image

Nice! :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm

You will have to forgive me, as I have been soured on the idea of giving out gifts. I brought one of my dump banks cookies and they cut me off the next day.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby twoten01 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 am

Homemade? Maybe they were that bad, any they didn't want to chance you bringing them in another batch. JK

You should have asked for your cookies back after they cut you off
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MrIncredible » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 am

John_doe wrote:You will have to forgive me, as I have been soured on the idea of giving out gifts. I brought one of my dump banks cookies and they cut me off the next day.

Did the cookies have nuts in them? Maybe someone in the bank was allergic....
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 pm

twoten01 wrote:Homemade? Maybe they were that bad, any they didn't want to chance you bringing them in another batch. JK

You should have asked for your cookies back after they cut you off

I just took my reserves to a competitor. Gotta love capitalism (whats left of it).
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:30 pm

I had one bank that sold me the bag of halves off the sorter.. it took about 6 months to fill up.I got a LOT of silver out of that.. I used to buy them lunch when I got the bag.. last year they got a new sorter that doesnt take halves :cry:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:31 pm

BUT_ I had another bank that sold me the bag, I bought them lunch. and since then the tellers buy the bag when it fills.....now its a dump bank...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:I had one bank that sold me the bag of halves off the sorter.. it took about 6 months to fill up.I got a LOT of silver out of that.. I used to buy them lunch when I got the bag.. last year they got a new sorter that doesnt take halves :cry:

How much silver did you end up getting?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:If it is in the morning, I will bring a box of donuts (this is what I normally do). For Valentines, I brought in some chocolates. For Christmas, I will usually bring in a box of cordial cherries. I have also done a tub of licorice before, and a bunch of candy bars. Usually I try to get something that I know they can just put in the breakroom and snack on.

Hmm. For some reason, I was thinking about Skittles and Starbursts! :)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 am

Chocolate is always appropriate. Of course I love deals too. If you look around you can find some good deals on Valentine chocolate. I found these tubes of M&Ms with a heart on top. They were 90% off. I bought a small hoard (50 of them). I have a lot of tellers to keep happy. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:I had one bank that sold me the bag of halves off the sorter.. it took about 6 months to fill up.I got a LOT of silver out of that.. I used to buy them lunch when I got the bag.. last year they got a new sorter that doesnt take halves :cry:

How much silver did you end up getting?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4930&p=45163&hilit=bank+bag#p45163
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing