Results of the Ebay coin sorter

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Results of the Ebay coin sorter

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 am

I bought this one Ebay and tested it out last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-coin-Copper- ... 1e60689fbe

Having accumulated 6 lbs of wheats (by hand and loupe) I ran those through this machine.

It rejected 18 pennies, some of them 82 zincs, and a few pennies in the 90s that somehow got in my hoard.
(my young daughters were "assisting" me some, although I could have made a few mistakes)

Also 2 damaged coins were rejected.

I didnt go through the approved copper pile because I know they are basically all copper and there were over 700...

So far I am satisfied, for a small timer like me this will do for now.

He shipped fast.

I didnt want to take the time and effort to build a box.
He sells the part for $50 and you can build your own box.

(Im sure everyone already here already knows all this, just fyi for any new people.)

Im aware I got a raw deal by not building my own box, but my garage is a mess right now.

Tuesday I will run a full box through when I get them from the credit union
for a more significant test.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Results of the Ebay coin sorter

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:00 am

People really should just stick with Ryedale's. I have heard from soooo many people that these wodden boxes of junk don't work worth a dang.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:49 am

Well, not everyone can afford a Ryedale at $500.

And Im not sure I could get enough pennies to run through it to justify the cost.

Some might start with this cheapie to be able to afford the Ryedale later.

If you find $250 FV worth of copper pennies and are able to sell them for 100%, I guess that would pay for it.

Minus Ebay and Paypal fees, and any cost associated with dumping your zincs.

Thats quite a lot of pennies to get there.

Lets see, Im finding about 13 coppers per roll.
I would need to go through 77 rolls to find 1k coppers.($10 FV)
So 77 times 25 mean one would have to search 1925 rolls to get their $250 FV copper pennies to sell on Ebay.
Not counting fees, and provided you could get double face on auction, which isnt always a given.

The Ryedales are so highly thought of, I want one.
The price is my barrier right now.

FYI Ryedale link:

http://www.ryedalecoin.com/Products.html
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:01 pm

the problem is you ran copper through the machine. run a mix of coins to see if you get zinc in the copper pile that is what you should be worried about. also if the 500 dollar ryedale is out of reach email andy and ask him about the ace or axcent they are just over $100 and both work great from my experience
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks, good advice.

I will look into the smaller ones if this proves to be a pos.

I just got 14 rolls from the bank at lunch to run through the machine and test it for accuracy. looking at each coin through my loupe.

(I couldnt wait, opened 2 rolls while I ate my lunch, the results were 17 and 19 copper per roll. Better than usual.)

Made friends with the teller too, will probably open a small savings account there so I can feed me penny habit on lunch break.

Ill post the accuracy results of these next 12 rolls ran through the Ebay machine here soon.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Andy also sells a $100 ryedale. You can PM him for more information.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 pm

The coin discriminator in these boxes is a Chinese vending machine part with the model number CH-268T.

You can buy it straight from China for as little as $25 shipped. It only takes a few hours and very minor skills to elevate one in the air so you can put yoghurt tubs underneith it for the separated coins. I'm attaching a picture of the one I built. I bought this discriminator alone for $55 on Ebay and feel it is worth the $25 you can pay to buy it straight from China. The plastic coin sensitivity adjustment key on mine partially broke off from what I thought was pretty careful use....annoying. You can still adjust it by turning the mechanism using a screwdriver...but it's annoying when new stuff breaks on you like that...I think the ones from China come without a power supply so that's something to bear in mind. Perhaps the $55 price for one of these including a power supply is not such a bad deal. I bought mine from ebay seller "germinda" who shipped promptly. Bottom line is I wouldn't pay the extra $45 for a wooden box. It will just get in your way and make it more difficult to get at the discriminator to adjust sensitivity and change the master coin.

I have mine adjusted to sort for pure-nickel nickels and it does this admirably. Nonetheless, I would recommend either building a hopper/feeder mechanism of some kind or buying a Ryedale. I upgraded to a Ryedale and haven't looked back.

My fully assembled & fully functional unit is available for $55 plus shipping to anyone interested.
Attachments
IMG_0572.JPG
Coin Sorter
IMG_0572.JPG (93.65 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Wish I had bought yours man...or built one.

It was a stupid impulse buy..

I feel like a lazy dummy for not building my own.

You setup is amazingly simple.

Oh well, it will get me started....then I can make a birdhouse or something out of it which it looks like anyway. lol

If I learn that I can get enough pennies to keep it busy, ill be buying the Ryedale eventually.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Finder wrote:Well, not everyone can afford a Ryedale at $500.

And Im not sure I could get enough pennies to run through it to justify the cost.

Some might start with this cheapie to be able to afford the Ryedale later.

If you find $250 FV worth of copper pennies and are able to sell them for 100%, I guess that would pay for it.

Minus Ebay and Paypal fees, and any cost associated with dumping your zincs.

Thats quite a lot of pennies to get there.

Yup, what he said.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Here are my results tonight on this machine after running 12 rolls (600 coins) through it.

2 Coppers mistakingly went into the Zinc bin.

Thats a 99.66% accuracy rate.

I double checked each coin with my loupe.

FYI, for the record.

I would rather lose a copper to the zinc bin than get zinc in my copper bin.
But I would be searching my copper for wheats anyway and would likely find a zinc there.

99.66 accuracy works for me, for now.

But if I get to searching mass quantities I will need something like the Ryedale.

Considering my average coppers tonight were about 10 per roll Im not sure Ill go big time.
Seems Im a little late to the game.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Finder. I'm sure the Ryedales are great units, but I feel here like I feel amongst my neighbors--if you can't be seen in the biggest SUV in the 'hood, you aren't really part of the club.

I intend to sell most of my copper at first in order to generate the funds to churn enough pennies to make the return worthwhile. So like you, I worry more about zinc getting into the copper pile. I played today with some sketches using two of the eBay units in series, with a copper coin in the first machine and a zinc in the second.

Your 20% yield is worth over 270% of its face value. If you add that to the 80% that's only worth 100% of its face value, a box of pennies with 20% copper is worth $34. Take your profit, cash in the zinc, and buy $34 worth of pennies, which will be worth $45 by the time you've sorted them. (This presumes you continue your 20% copper ratio. I average 26%. Neener, neener.)

Repeat as necessary:
25 turnzinta 34
34 turnzinta 45
45 turnzinta 61
61 turnzinta 82
82 turnzinta 110

I believe the eBay unit churns out about a box an hour. That's only 9 bucks an hour profit if you have to babysit it. Also 9 bucks an hour for the machine to work all by itself, if you can train it to do so. I sure intend to train mine. Heck, there's 168 hours in a week, and machines don't need to sleep or watch television like humans do.
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Mine is sleeping now, wish I had something to push through it Tinhorn.
Ive got a box ordered for Tuesday. Hope they are all darkish brown.
Never thought Id be so disappointed to see those shiney new pennies, although on occasion
a copper is still in nice shape.

Let me know if you design a way to make the Ebay machine work alone.
I could see how feeding them in would get old if done by the box.

May you find a BU 1931 S.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Won an auction today for a $25 coin sorter, which I intend to use to feed the sorter. I'm sure it won't be too tough to build a hopper to feed the sorter. Just have to wait until these units show up, then it's Rube Goldberg time!

I'll post some pics if it actually works.
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CanadianNickle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 am

I like the Ryedale sorters.
CanadianNickle

Postby coinalyzer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

Hi,

I have sold over 300 of these units and not had any complaints. a ryedale is a lot more expensive than my Box. I stand behind every thing that i sell. It's not fair to call my sorter junk on here say. I have been useing mine for two years and its still going strong. If my box is junk why is ryedale now making the sniper that uses the same electronics as my sorters?

highroller4321 wrote:People really should just stick with Ryedale's. I have heard from soooo many people that these wodden boxes of junk don't work worth a dang.
coinalyzer

Postby Finder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 am

Welcome to the forum coinalyzer.

I will vouch for you and your machine.

You: When I had trouble you quickly and repeatedly emailed me back until we solved the problem.
(the copper sample cent had fallen out, remember?)

The Machine: After 30 or 40 boxes I have ran through this sorter I have well over a 99% accuracy rate. Probably about .99.5%.

Some of the mistakes may have been mine, some were not.

Let the record reflect this.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby harley1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm

buy a ryedale for 500.00. build your stockpile of cu up and sell the rydale in a year or two for 450.00
harley1
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coinalyzer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks, finder. I do remember talking to you. I'm glad to here your satisfied. I have had many positive emails from people and few negatives. I fully support all sorters I have sold on eBay under my screen name confederatetreasures (old name) or coinalyzer or on my web page coinalyzer.com. I have had emails from people who bought from imitators selling a similar sorter to mine that were upset due to a lack of support and unsolder connections. I solder and adjust every thing to sort pennies before I ship.
coinalyzer

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Having researched your ebay feedback a few minutes ago, I can say that you've got good feedback.

Competition is a wonderful thing. I was (still am) considering a sniper for the value of the completed unit, but since both seem to use the same electronics guts, decided to start even smaller and buy your base unit for $39 and change. Just ordered direct off your site. (As stated probably several times elsewhere, I'm only in the penny game for myself, small potatoes, so this may take care of my limited need just fine. And I'm tired of hand-sorting.) At the very least, it'll give me a chance to see how the thing operates, and (I'm supposing) it will always have some intrinstic value either for sale or spare, even if I decide to move up.

I've got some bagged hand-sorted coppers and zincs I'm looking forward to running through as a test.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Finder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 pm

It worked perfect right out of the box. Glad to see you here to defend your machine.

Different people have different budgets.
On a slim budget yours gets the job done.
99.5% accuracy cant be beat but by a dozen pennies per box IF the other machine is 100% accurate.

I would not defend your machine if It had not proven itself to me.

Now, you did rip me off on the housing (imo) but its the choice I made at the time
and I only have myself to blame for being too lazy to build one.

Twopenniesearned up the thread had the right idea there.
Fantastic simplicity!

Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coinalyzer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 pm

68Camaro I got yours shipped out today. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Finder. the case I sell now takes me 3 hours to build, cut wood, adjust, test and pack up for shipping. The first time it took me a whole weekend to get it right. It looks easier to build than it is. I offer the assembled one for people that do not have the tools or time to make their own case. I have lower prices on coinalyzer.com now than in the past due to not having the eBay fees. my price is now $119 + s/h. I'm also working on a new design that may be cheaper. I will make sure the new one does not look like a bird house. LOL
coinalyzer

Postby goodcents » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 pm

I think competition is a beautiful thing. Ryedale makes a heck of a nice machine which has stood the test of time. I've owned a few of them and regret selling them in the past when my penny sorting slowed down. I do see tons of the comparitor kits on ebay and the other sorter from coinalyzer. I'm honestly amazed there is not more competition out there. I'm still waiting for someone to adapt a commercial high speed sorter to be programmed or modified with a comparitor. It can't be that far off. I suppose at that point it would be the quality of the comparitor to handle the high speed.

I appreciate both Ryedale and Coinalyzer for the products and choices they provide for us.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coinalyzer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 pm

coinalyzer wrote:68Camaro I got yours shipped out today. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Finder. the case I sell now takes me 3 hours to build, cut wood, adjust, test and pack up for shipping. The first time it took me a whole weekend to get it right. It looks easier to build than it is. I offer the assembled one for people that do not have the tools or time to make their own case. I have lower prices on coinalyzer.com now than in the past due to not having the eBay fees. my price is now $119 + s/h. I'm also working on a new design that may be cheaper. I will make sure the new one does not look like a bird house. LOL

This is my NEW Coinalyzer Copper Penny Sorter design. What do you guys think?
coinalyzer

Postby Finder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I like it. If I could see the other half that would be beter...

What did it lower the price to?
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm

That's what he's shipping me as a replacement, but as of tonight (see other thread) I just rec'd the comparitor part with the brackets attached. I'm assuming another box is coming separately. Last I looked he had the set priced at $75.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing