Actual selling price

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Actual selling price

Postby Larkin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:11 am

Curious as to what the going selling price is now for copper cents. Has there been an uptick in the selling price since copper went from 3.75 to 4.35? I have seen as high as 1.75. Also, how long do you think it will be before we see copper cents at 2 cents each?

I'm a new guy on this board and have been hoarding for about 4 months with approx $ 500.00 in copper. Enjoy everyones posts and hope to contribute to the board.
Larkin

Re: Actual selling price

Postby Joogaler » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:52 am

I've seen a few lots recently go for $170 shipped here on the forum! I've been selling at $160 shipped, and have been wondering why I've had so many orders! :mrgreen:

I really think we will 2x face very soon, because their is alot more demand for copper pennies. More people are waking up to the idea with $4+ copper.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby GTOJohn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:19 am

is the 'profit' of .6 or .7 going for the price of copper, or for the work in sorting?
i dont know if the selling price of coppers is really tied to the spot price of copper yet.
of course, when copper hits 5 or 6 bucks - that should also pull the selling price for coppers higher.
but, now i think the price is too low - only accounting for the work and not for the increase in the spot price of copper.
just a thought
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 am

I think the copper price is loosely tied to the price of copper. For example in about 18 month the price of copper doubled yet the yet the price of copper pennies has gone up maybe about 20%. I think it also tied to economics of middle class white folks. In 06 when middle class white folks were doing good and copper was $4 per pound I understand people were getting 2X face (I was not doing it at the time so I am going by what people have told me) however, in 2010-2011 again it's $4 per pound the difference is middle class white folks are doing much worse than in 06 even though the economy is growing. Thus i think those two factors (copper price and how middle class white folks are doing) are the two biggest factor that determine the real price copper bullion sells for.

PS I doubt race has much to do with it, but when I say middle class white folk I mean just the average joe who makes 40 to 60K that what a hedge bet of currency vs. physical goods.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:05 pm

Well this auction went over double face today, others came close.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-1959-82-5000-CEN ... 1c18358fee

Another one 10 days ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000-copper-bullion ... 27b7577750

Pretty soon, If copper holds or goes up any more I think double face will be common.

I also see a 100FV went for 195.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby chirules54 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm

The problem with ebay is that there's a range of what they sell for. One day you can get over 2x face, the next day 1.4x. I used to sell on ebay a lot but now I have several repeat customers that I just email when I get a new batch and most of the time I sell directly to them. People get caught up in "bidding wars" and there's definitely a psychological aspect to it which explains why some auctions go for way more.
chirules54

Postby tbram88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 am

I have a few auctions on Ebay I listed $10.00 fv for $19.95 if I get it cool if not, so what. I have used the funds from the sales to keep sorting otherwise I would have to quit for lack of cash.
I think 2x fv will be common as soon as sellers hold out for it. When people can't get them for less they will still buy them.
Just my $0.02 Ha Ha.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 am

Welcome to the forum tbram88.

And here I thought the problem with eBay was the high fees.. lol. I was one of the first sellers of copper cents on eBay and used to get really good prices until folks started seeing those numbers and Andy sold off a bunch of Ryedales. First the competition drove the prices down.. then copper tanked.. then eBay jacked up their fees.

There has certainly been some variance of price on eBay copper auctions.. just like all their other auctions. I have actually bought lots of copper cents on there for under face from other members here that ran auctions at the wrong time.

Looks like prices are starting to pick up. I might have to consider reentering the market. :mrgreen:

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby tbram88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:31 am

I don't know about other sellers, but for me I have too much time involved in it to sell for less than 2x. Those who have machines have a lot less time in sorting so they compete with each other. I don't care for Ebays fees either but it does offer me a market to sell stuff to a nationwide audience.
My last sale went like this
Sold 19.95 for $10.00FV
Ebay fee $1.80 From now on +.50 listing fee
Paypal fee $1.05
+ .95 marked up on shipping
$18.05 - $10.00 =$8.05 net
At approx 700 to 800 copper per box I had to sort 1.3 boxes probably 2hrs. to make $8.05. Would'nt be worth it bu I have more time than money and $8.05= 805 coppers for my stash.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:08 pm

tbram88 wrote:I don't know about other sellers, but for me I have too much time involved in it to sell for less than 2x. Those who have machines have a lot less time in sorting so they compete with each other. I don't care for Ebays fees either but it does offer me a market to sell stuff to a nationwide audience.
My last sale went like this
Sold 19.95 for $10.00FV
Ebay fee $1.80 From now on +.50 listing fee
Paypal fee $1.05
+ .95 marked up on shipping
$18.05 - $10.00 =$8.05 net
At approx 700 to 800 copper per box I had to sort 1.3 boxes probably 2hrs. to make $8.05. Would'nt be worth it bu I have more time than money and $8.05= 805 coppers for my stash.

If you accurately account for the time.. even those of us with lots of machines have too much time involved.. but it is a labor of love. For hand sorters, it is much tougher to make the numbers work. You are much better off saying "Would you like fries with that sir?" than sorting for fun and profit. But it is really tough to beat the working conditions, flexibility of hours, and short commute of a copper penny sorting operation.

You say you don't want to sell for less than 2x, but when you extract all those fees, you are actually netting 1.8x. CTU's ($100 face copper boxes) are selling on this forum for $170.. which is pretty close to your eBay net.. without any of the eBay hassle. If you happen to hook up with a buyer in your area and can avoid the shipping.. it is even better. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Bostonbean02 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 am

2x on ebay
Bostonbean02

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing