No more rolling!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

No more rolling!

Postby corky569 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:37 pm

Just bought a sweet coin counter off of Craigslist, went to my bank and picked up a coin bag. They said no problem. The best part was when I bought the counter I asked the guy if he had any pennies. He laughed and brought in a water jug half full. I offered him 1.50 a pound he said sure. 55 lbs. On his bathroom scale. 82.50 well spent. Sent all of them through the counter, total was 9365! It took about five minutes too. Then I called my mom and she brought me over 39.00 more. I hand sorted all of them today, just barely started the 9000 other ones. Can't wait for my ryedale!
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Re: No more rolling!

Postby Corsair » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:59 pm

Sweet! I've always wanted a coin counter...but I have no reason for one. My banks take the zincs loose.

Mind if I ask how much you paid?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:41 am

Corsair wrote:Sweet! I've always wanted a coin counter...but I have no reason for one. My banks take the zincs loose.

Mind if I ask how much you paid?

Other than weighing your cents, and getting a rough estimate , you dont know if your bank is shorting you (I ran into a situation were this happened). One of the reasons I just picked one up.

Nice score on the penny buy!
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:39 pm

The weighing of pennies (and buying at 1.50-1.70 per pound) was mentioned once on RC but I can't seem to find the info, despite searching. Can someone re-state what the deal was again? I think someone said that various people on Craigslist criticized the person who ran the ad, as they thought the poster was trying to take advantage of them or screw them out of their money etc for the people that can't add and do the math correctly.

Can you refresh me (and others) on it again, please? Thanks, guys.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:56 pm

HPMBTT wrote:The weighing of pennies (and buying at 1.50-1.70 per pound) was mentioned once on RC but I can't seem to find the info, despite searching. Can someone re-state what the deal was again? I think someone said that various people on Craigslist criticized the person who ran the ad, as they thought the poster was trying to take advantage of them or screw them out of their money etc for the people that can't add and do the math correctly.

Can you refresh me (and others) on it again, please? Thanks, guys.

If you run a add just put in there that 146 coppers make a lb and 181 zincs make a lb and even post a link to a site that states this becouse you will get ignorant people that will flag your post and $1.60 is a fair price to offer ive ran a couple adds and had pretty good success you just have to be clear and state facts so people dont think you scamming
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby corky569 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:29 pm

My first ad said, 1.50 a lb. It was immediately flagged and deleted. I then changed it to say, will pay face value, ill explain how to calculate when I get a hit. Of course with my counter I can actually pay face, but I like 1.50 a lb better!
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby linkster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Counters are definitely the way to go.......Does yours just count or can it sort/offsort also? I like mine because it has batch stops and the coin tube adaptors so I could wrap/roll them if I had/wanted to so that I could dump at more banks. Has anyone had any luch with trying to buy pennies on craigslist?
linkster

Postby corky569 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 pm

I tried to sort coins the other day, it didn't work too well. The dimes and pennies are too close in thickness. When I tried dimes/nickels the nickels blocked the pennies. I may try it again, I just wanted to see it count 9000+ pennies, which it does great.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing