70S Small Date! , NOT!- see how I got educated

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

70S Small Date! , NOT!- see how I got educated

Postby TXTim » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:38 am

The last day of the year was a lucky one.
Found this in a roll tonight - left one:

Image ;)
Last edited by TXTim on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: 70S Small Date!

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:34 am

I dig it...can you get a close up of the date? I like studying them for my knowledge...looks better than in a book.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:04 am

TX Tim .......I hate to disappoint you, but I'm 99% sure that this is a large date. I had several coins that looked exactly the same as yours. Key thing: You literally CANNOT tell by looking at the seven (7), despite what the articles and websites say. I spent hours going through all of mine that I thought for sure were small dates. I finally took everything I had to a coin dealer and sure enough, this was confirmed by THREE different people and immediately upon looking at them with no hesitation on their part (the coin dealer/store has been in business for 40 years). And they all said the same thing. Then they showed me the real thing for comparison. And it wasn't even close. I couldn't believe it myself. Anyway, take your coin to a reputable coin dealer who has them in hand in white slabs. I also believe that the small date has slightly faded/altered ER letters in liberty, which is another way to confirm. Also, I believe that most of the 70S small date coins were only available in the 1970 mint set (or a variation therof), which is why they are extremely difficult to find in the wild; the breaking up of the 1970 set is hugely beneficial, because there were THREE unique coin situations in the set (not just the unique 1970S small date).

When I looked at your images, I didn't even hesitate. Plus the 1 is not flat with the top of the 9...and the 9 needs to be more skinny. Finally, the zero is different on the small date.

Oh, by the way, this is also why the slot for the 1970S small date in my Dansco album is empty, as I refuse to pay $65.00 for it. :(

Someday, I will probably break down and purchase it for some silver halves that I found in a bank roll...this way, it's not so financially painful to me. Ex: 6 silver halves=$66.00 but I only paid .50*6=$3.00)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXTim » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 am

HPMBTT-
I think you are right. I can confirm that the 7 is about level with the 9 (see comparison to the one on the right), and that is how I concluded it was a small date.
I looked up the comment on LIBERTY and it showed that all examples of small dates will have weak E and TY.
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/1970 ... ompare.htm
Oh well, thanks for the education. This is the only date I ever look for on red coppers during my Ryedale sorts. It will go into the pile with the rest of the copper.
At least it's worth 2.6¢.

Last edited by TXTim on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:25 am

TXTim wrote:HPMBTT-
I think you are right. I can confirm that the 7 is about level with the 9 (see comparison to the one on the right), and that is how I concluded it was a small date.
I looked up the comment on LIBERTY and it showed that all examples of small dates will have weak E and TY.
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/1970 ... ompare.htm
Oh well, thanks for the education. This is the only date I ever look for on red coppers during my Ryedale sorts. It will go into the pile with the rest of the copper.
At least it's worth 2.6¢.

2.91 Currently :D
TXBullion

Re: 70S Small Date! , NOT!- see how I got educated

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Since your coin is very close to being the keeper, I'd still set it aside for now. The picture kinda looks like the weak 'Y' and the '9' will point towards the middle of the '7' where the the large date the '9' points to the bottom of the '7'. Need another pic to be sure. I'd check some other resources first before it goes into the copper pile.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Great article...thanks for the link, as I didn't have it previously. Yeah, my heart sank too when I realized I didn't have the small date either....grrr. :( But hey, I'm glad you got educated now, instead of later. That's what Realcent is all about (helping each other).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:46 pm

I stll say you need a clearer pic. One that shows the numbers better. Can you try with less light. One of the other markers is that of the legs of the '9' and the '7'. Are they pointy or blunt. I still say you got a weak "Y".
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Looking again at other examples...both ends of the "9" need to be pointy. The large date has blunt ends. And, the "7"'s leg needs to be blunt. And, the right arm of the "Y" looks weak just like other examples. It looks like the inner loop of your "9" does point to the center of the "7". I've ben checking and re-checking all of mine and I just may be obsessed!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby misteroman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 pm

what would that be worth if that particular one was a small date?
misteroman

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:07 pm

The going rate is about $65.00 . That's why it's the only empty hole/slot in my Dansco folder, as I'm just too cheap to spend the money.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 am

TxTim...I'll gladly take it off of your hands. PM me for my address. I'll trade you a wheat for it.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing