Do Coin Dealers purchase pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do Coin Dealers purchase pennies?

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Anyone have experience selling copper pennies to a coin dealer and if so, what type of mark up are you getting at present?
johnm

Re: Do Coin Dealers purchase pennies?

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 pm

I haev some sold copper to a few different dealers. I think really the only way to trade copper is to trade in volume and most dealers won't be able to handle that.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Thank you highroller. Who do you sell your copper to mostly then? Members on this board? Ever sold to a scrap metal dealer?
johnm

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 pm

johnm wrote:Thank you highroller. Who do you sell your copper to mostly then? Members on this board? Ever sold to a scrap metal dealer?

I have clients all of the U.S and even a few internation (can't ship internation of course) Most people I sell to are looking at copper as an investment. Some people I sell to look at it is a commodity than can be traded if things go bad. I have sold some to memebers on here but there always seems to be a member who will sell cheaper than I will ;)

Prior to the melt ban going on I got it arrange to sell to a scrap dealer but before I could do the volume I wanted the ban went on.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks again highroller, If you don't mind my asking...how did you get your clients? How did they find out about you? I appreciate your insight.
johnm

Postby rickygee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 pm

johnm, dude, click on highroller's portland mint link and all things will be made clear :lol:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby chirules54 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm

My local coin dealers say they may in the future, but that there's just not enough money to be made in it right now. They think sorting is pretty cool though :)
chirules54

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm

highroller markets his copper and he is set up to produce it by the multiple tonnes. The cool thing about copper pennies is you can participate at any level you want.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing