The Market?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The Market?

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm

I am new at this and am curious where and how you sell your copper. Is it to other members? Is ebay beneficial? If so, how long does it take to get buyer and what is going rate/mark up? Thank you.
johnm

Re: The Market?

Postby slvrbck » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

welcome
sort n' read, sort n' read, repeat
there truly is an amazing amount of knowledge on this site.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Welcome to Realcent. So you want to sell your pennies...

Well. The market is in its infancy, but she's growing, that's for sure. If you want to take a shot at eBay, go for it. The fees will eat you up, but you should still come out ahead. If you want to sell them here, you won't get as much for them. Probably 1.6x or 1.7x. But then you have to account for sorting, packaging, shipping, cashing in the zincs, all that jazz.

My New Year's resolution is to not sell a single copper cent for less than 2x face. If you are a major sorter and want to make a quick buck, I think selling now is a good idea. But if you just sort in your spare time, and think it's going to be a hobby that pays off. Well. It will pay off in the future. As for right now...
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Thank you slvrback and Corsair. I have been teaching two of my young sons about money...gold, silver, and now we are on to copper. I am just in the process now of absorbing as much knowledge as I can in copper to get them going in this hobby. This is a great forum with a ton of knowledge so greatly appreciated.
johnm

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:08 pm

John-

Go forth on the forum and make five more posts. Then we can discuss a little more in Private Messages. The forum won't allow you to send one unless you have ten posts.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

understood. Thank you.
johnm

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:08 pm

I completely agree with member corsair. I'm a hand sorter and with all the time, gas and related expenses it doesn't make sense for me to sell until the market brings at least 2x face. Even then, quite frankly, it still isn't worth the effort from a dollar perspective. I do it because I enjoy it, it's relaxing, and it's always nice to find a pre-40 wheat. :) :)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you Pennypicker. Appreciate your insight.
johnm

Postby misteroman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Never sold one but 2c each I think would get me to sell!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:22 am

I'll sell for a nickel each after the great inflation.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby BadKarma » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:31 am

I'm with pennypicker, it's a hobby that is relaxing with the added bonus of the thrill of the hunt!!

I pack my coppers away in ammo cans for when the great melt comes.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
If you bowhunt Cape Buffalo, you just might wet your pants.
BadKarma

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing