How to remove damaged coins

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How to remove damaged coins

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:41 am

What's the best way to separate the bent and nicked coins? I find they cause a lot of grief when they go through the Ryedale. Should I pre-filter with a cheapo unit of some kind? With my good counter? If the counter, how to best prevent the bendies from damaging it?

And does anyone have a strategy for those pesky English pennies? They jam everything I have...
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Re: How to remove damaged coins

Postby slickeast » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:22 am

get a good high speed counter. It will allow you to get the junk out. I use 2 to clean mine up since I get bags. You will be surprised how much you will use it.

I ran over $900.00 and had only a few jams in the Ryedale. I did have close to 40 problem coins that the coin counter caught.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 am

yep what slick said...get a "high speed" counter..the type that you can adjust the thickness...I run mine fairly tight to single out ALL those pesky coins...i bought my Brandt 749 from feebay for less than 2 bills....it will sort a box of cents in less than 2 minutes. Happy New Year.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby chirules54 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:48 pm

When my ryedale jams occasionally, tweezers work great to pull them out when they jam right above the discriminator. When they double up under the wheel, that's a bit tougher to stop. Often times it happens to me it's because two pennies are stuck together, so it never gets out of the hopper.
chirules54

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 am

Toss em in a Mach 7. That will sort out all those "darn dimes" which cause jams too.

Actually, I just run them through one of my Glory CN-12's.. that gets rid of the bent coins, darn dimes.. and english pennies. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:54 am

Anyone know where to take damaged coins? Fed branch maybe? I have a ziplock bag with about $10 FV of coins too damaged for me to (ethically) put them back into rolls.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:10 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:Anyone know where to take damaged coins? Fed branch maybe? I have a ziplock bag with about $10 FV of coins too damaged for me to (ethically) put them back into rolls.

I sent some back to the mint to see what would happen.
From the US treasury website--

FAQs: Coins
Buying, Selling & Redeeming
Question I have some coins that were damaged and the bank will not redeem them. What can I do with them?

Answer The Treasury Department has prescribed regulations regarding uncurrent and mutilated coins. Let us explain the difference. Uncurrent coins are whole, but are worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion. They are easily recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and they are such that coin sorting and counting machines will accept them. Merchants and commercial banks will generally accept or refuse these coins at their discretion. However, Federal Reserve Banks and branches handle the redemption of uncurrent coins.

Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together. The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to the Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106.

To weeks later I got a post card asking for my ssn # so the could send me a check. When I called they said it would take eight weeks for a check. It is week nine and no check yet
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 am

henrysmedford wrote:
AGgressive Metal wrote:Anyone know where to take damaged coins? Fed branch maybe? I have a ziplock bag with about $10 FV of coins too damaged for me to (ethically) put them back into rolls.

I sent some back to the mint to see what would happen.
From the US treasury website--

FAQs: Coins
Buying, Selling & Redeeming
Question I have some coins that were damaged and the bank will not redeem them. What can I do with them?

Answer The Treasury Department has prescribed regulations regarding uncurrent and mutilated coins. Let us explain the difference. Uncurrent coins are whole, but are worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion. They are easily recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and they are such that coin sorting and counting machines will accept them. Merchants and commercial banks will generally accept or refuse these coins at their discretion. However, Federal Reserve Banks and branches handle the redemption of uncurrent coins.

Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together. The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to the Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106.

To weeks later I got a post card asking for my ssn # so the could send me a check. When I called they said it would take eight weeks for a check. It is week nine and no check yet

Wow.....the heck with all of that. Just pass them on to the next owner.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing