I was wondering the path our coins take?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I was wondering the path our coins take?

Postby corky569 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

From the time we dump our zincs, until they make it back into rolls. What path do they take, how does it work? Just curious if anyone knew exactly what happens.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Re: I was wondering the path our coins take?

Postby Larkin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Sometimes I think my zincs just wait and work it out so that they are in my next box. I honestly believe I have handled certain coins 3 or 4 times. I'm serious about 1 coin that was so beat up and purple I would recognize it blindfolded.
Larkin

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Larkin wrote:Sometimes I think my zincs just wait and work it out so that they are in my next box. I honestly believe I have handled certain coins 3 or 4 times. I'm serious about 1 coin that was so beat up and purple I would recognize it blindfolded.

I have that coin now, as well as all of his brothers, sisters, and cousins :D
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Joogaler » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Anyone been finding pennies that have been painted on the back with what looks like nail polish? I've found quite a few recently out of brinks boxes with the whole back painted purple then a black X.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:59 pm

I dumped pennies on a Friday at a Forum Credit Union coin counting machine in Indianapolis that were marked and got several of them back on the following Wednesday in a Brinks delivery at NorthPark Community Credit Union in Indianapolis. I marked about 300 zinc pennies with a Big Green T using a permanent marker on the obverse (front) and got about 15 back in a few boxes. This was when Brinks was delivering the plastic rolled coin. I haven't tried this in several years. All the coin I get now is String and Sons paper rolls.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby chirules54 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm

From what I know as a teller at BofA: You take the zincs to the bank. They get deposited to your account as cash, we take the bag and put it in our vault. Twice a week, the armored truck guy comes with cash, usually we need to order more large bills and boxes of coin for merchants. He takes our bags and puts them in the truck. After they go back with him, they get dumped into a coin counter to verify the amount. They are sorted by denomination and then rerolled. Then, they sit as inventory in the warehouse until a new order is placed for boxes, which is when they go back on the truck and back to the bank again. Now the question is, how many warehouses are there in your area and what are the chances you get back your old zincs. I live the in the Portland, OR area and I know Brinks has at least 3 warehouses, and they service Wells Fargo and Chase in our area as well. I have been sorting and dumping for over 6 months and needless to say, my copper % hasn't gone down a bit. If I were you, I would ask what day/time the armored guy comes to your bank (if they use armored services) and then you can ask him/her. From my experience they are usually pretty cool about telling you how it works. The first couple of times I ordered $500 worth of boxed pennies my guy was a little upset, but now I buy him coffee every few weeks and he's cool :)
chirules54

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing