best find yet

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

best find yet

Postby toomuchcopper » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 pm

here is a story:
I picked up $800 in boxes this afternoon, which I never do, I generally just do bags but I am behind on orders so I ordered some boxes. I got the boxes home and started busting rolls as the machines were running bags that I got yesterday. I had forgotten how much it sucked to bust open all those rolls, I pittty you guys who do that all the time. after 3 boxes or so my 7 year old daughter came down into the "dungeon" to help me out. Her mother had given her the " you can do the dishes or go help your father" talk....and she chose help your father. She has helped me several times before and is a great help. I razor knife the rolls from end to end and then she busts them open and pulls the wheats and canadians as i fill the machines and pre run the loose coins and pack the done copper for shipment. As she busted the rolls she found about 100 wheats, many canadians, a 10 cent foreign silver coin, one dime, 3 2009 coins...she was on her 6th box (yes thats 300 rolls, and she is only 7) and she pulls a coin out and says: "dad, is this some sort of wheat?" I looked at it and it was a 1882 Indian with full liberty, it had some green gunk on it but had very little wear and was in decent shape. I tried to explain to her how rare that was and how I had only found a few indians in ALL the coins I had searched, and that to find it an a nf string box was even more rare....she just looked at me and said " i am a pretty good finder arn't I dad?......Yes you are KId....

the best find yet, may not be the most valuable as far as its monetary worth.....but it may still be the most valuable.
TMC
for more information on copper pennies and copper penny sorting go to
WWW.CRAZYCOINGUY.COM
toomuchcopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: best find yet

Postby AlexTG » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Great story! Familly bonding at it's finest.

On a side note, IHs in PF string boxesare rare? I had no idea. Found 2 in the $1500 or so I have done. Guess I am lucky, maybe it the cheeroki in me.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm

yep thats one indian that will be kept for sure

a few more years until my little guy can start helping me...

cant wait !
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby pennyaholic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 pm

That Indian head should be put in a 2 x 2 and treasured for years to come. Believe me they grow up fast and enjoy every moment you can get when they are young as they will soon become teenagers, then it is off to college. I miss my daughter sitting with me on my lazy boy sorting pennies.
pennyaholic

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 am

Great story!

I haven't found an Indian Head all year.

Yes, I am one of those guys that has to crack open all the rolls.. and me with no help.

And alas, Santa again did not bring the RollCracker 1000.. even though I been good. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby aristobolus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:06 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Great story!

I haven't found an Indian Head all year.

You have only been sorting for six days! :lol:
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby smallchange » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 am

toomuchcopper: the best find yet, may not be the most valuable as far as its monetary worth.....but it may still be the most valuable.

I agree on that 100%
smallchange
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 am

Great story.

I cant wait till my 2 boys can start helping me out. Now I let them play with the zinc and run it through their piggy bank. They are young but have caught on that when dad is sorting coins they can nab the rejects and fill up their piggy banks. The only thing with them getting old enough to help means they are growing up. I really want to cherish this time now. So no, I dont want them to grow up! :)
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 am

Great story. The thrill of the hunt is what makes this hobby so enjoyable! :D :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Finder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Awesome story. My girls like to help me too.
She gets to keep all the canadians and some wheats.

All Ive found this week is a dozen or 2 wheats in the 40s and 50s.

Found a real friendly bank though, right by the house.
I intend to start banking there soon because they are so cool.
Free sorting too. I may only use them to dump zinc.
Last edited by Finder on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXTim » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Great little helper!
You got a silver and IH in the same night?
Pretty rarified air!
Congrats!!!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing