Copper extraction (NONE LEFT)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper extraction (NONE LEFT)

Postby Larkin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Very interesting question I would like to pose to the members here:

At what point (in time) will the copper cents be removed from circulation based upon current hoarding? By point in time I mean 1-2 years, 3 years, 5 etc. By being removed from circulation I mean similar to where we are with wheat heads today. I understand that not all copper will ever be removed but you get my drift. I have in the past seen the mint numbers for copper cents and had a total. I will continue to work on this question and report back. The biggest issue is at what rate copper cents are being removed. Any input would be appreciated. Just on the surface, I would say within the next 2-3 years.
Larkin

Re: Copper extraction (NONE LEFT)

Postby Finder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Interesting question. Hope we find out a good estimate.

If most people are finding about 20% avg, then how many are still in circulation and how many are searching, how much are they searching?

Not sure there is a way to know that.

I would guess it greatly depends on the rate of rise in the value of copper too.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Mike at Market Harmony provides some data via his website:

http://marketharmony.net/uploads/pennies_in_circulation.pdf

Check it out.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby MikeP2020 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Based on historical data all the way back to 1982, we loose an average of 2.6 percentage points drop per year due to zinc injections, lost coins, collected coins and so on. At this rate as long as the status quo remains the same, copper will be circulating for another 9-10 years until they become as rare as wheats are today.
MikeP2020
Penny Collector Member

Postby Finder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:46 pm

So do y'all think the average return will drop over those next 10 years?

2% per year from the 20% now?

Is everyone else averaging about 20% copper?
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Economist » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 pm

It would be really nice to know the national average of copper. I'm a little more optimistic than Finder, placing my estimate at 25%. This is based on being on this forum for a long time and sorting pennies in 3 different US regions.

I myself am very fortunate to be getting in the upper 20s% in eastern Indiana.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:02 pm

I think 20% is a reasonable current nominal but I think mine is actually 18%, not counting unknowing people dumping saved copper over the holidays.

I think it is inevitable that yields will drop, and I think the approaches that this group has taken to harvesting Cu will drop them even faster over the next couple of years than the historic trends would indicate. I suspect that by 2012 10% will be a common take, and at some point it will become increasingly difficult to make money at it, unless the price of copper skyrockets.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

After 30 boxes searched so far, I'm still finding 28% to 30% steady here in N.Y.C.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:51 pm

I've been tracking some of the COPPER posts in the Handsorting thread that I maintain. So far this month, 10 posters are averaging 26.3% COPPER. Tracking the COPPER stats for September to December 2010, showed a national average about 20%. Since I had only 21 posters that really is not enough to give an exacting nationwide perspective. Some trends can be seen: those posters in the SouthWest and Southern states are extracting COPPER in the 15%-20% range, those in the mid-Atlantic around 20%-25%, while others are still averaging 30%. My guess would be that regional areas that have a bias towards PM extraction (more sorters) will get the lowest percentages. I don't see anyone averaging less than 15% at this time, but a 32% average (quite good) is the highest.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm in Central FL, so that's consistent with your 15-20% estimate for South/Southwest.

(Thought I had set the location in my profile, but it hasn't shown - I'll look at that again.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 pm

You also have to figure, people have hidden hoards of coins that they don't know about until months or YEARS later. Once found, they go straight to the bank or spent. And didn't one US mint statistic claim that the average US Citizen has maybe a few hundred coins "lost" in their house in some shape or form?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing