Who rolled those rolls?... and does it matter?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Who rolled those rolls?... and does it matter?

Postby Pennybug » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Noob here... :oops:

Just found this blog and I'm new to it... but I think this may be of interest to some of us who know the value of what we are doing!... then again... it may have already been posted or may simply be common knowledge. As I said... I'm a noob here!

Anyhow... I've been looking at the difference between banks that only take loose change and then roll their own coins vs. banks that "buy/exchange" customers rolls and I've found some interesting finds and helpful hints (although I plan on looking into this in more detail soon):

1) There seems to be a slightly better percentage of Cu in customer rolled rolls as opposed to bank rolled rolls. I've found a few percentage points higer. I'm going to do some stats on this later this year... so this is more of a hunch right now than anything (since I can't verify if I am statistically correct in saying this... and yes... I am an Engineer so statistics are IMPORTANT to me when making claims). Anyhow... I believe this is likely due to the fact that these rolls have likely sat around in jars for many years and then traded into the bank for cash. This means that these rolls contained the Cu ratio of earlier years as opposed to real time ratios. Think about it... each year more Cu is taken out (by smart folks like us) and more zinc put in by the Feds into circulation. This means that the percentage of Cu is decreased annually. Therefore a bank customers penny roll should contain higher percentages than an average bank rolled roll since it contians the Cu percentage of previous years in it. The morale of this... the older the roll you can get... the more Cu it should contain! More on this in the future...

2) After buying some customer rolled rolls at at Forrest Street... I made a great strike! I found over $50 in penny rolls that ended up being 98% Cu coin rolls! But.. there were VERY SMALL amounts of modern coins mixed in (I even found ONE 2009 penny). This tells me that they had been rolled recently. Any one else come accross this? I think that it may have to do with the fact that I live in a VERY RURAL area and that these may have simply been a local who had been saving their pennies for a while and decided to cash them in and simply needed the newer change to complete some short rolls. I'm guessing the person stopped collecting in 1982 since this was the bulk cut off year (in other words there were LOTS of 82's and VERY FEW 83's and on). I dunno. Could of been someone simply turned in their hubbies old copper hoard.

3) The customer rolls were done using shotgun rolls. Therefore... after sorting them... I was able to put the Zincs BACK INTO the shottys and saved me from having to use my own papers or from having to go get them rolled at a bank. Another bonus.

Hope this helps someone! :P
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: Who rolled those rolls?... and does it matter?

Postby Finder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm

I have not checked enough CWR's yet to have an opinion. Not because I don't want them though.
Just no one seems ot have them. I did go through 6 rolls once, but it was about the same on that lot.

BTW, welcome Pennybug, good hoarding!
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby appjoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm

I've gone through maybe about $50 in CWR's and yes I found a higher percentage of cu and Canadian but only 1 wheat if I remember right.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:30 pm

First, welcome.

I deal in mostly bags, but "back in the day" when I was hand sorting, the CWR's were always the best. You never know what you are getting. You win some and you lose some, but you win more than you lose. Higher percentages were usually found in them opposed to Loomis or Brinks boxes. But, if you can get them, bags are the best by far....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Verbane » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:06 pm

I typically sort at least $25+ in CWR cents per week plus my bank boxes. My sorts for 2010 yielded almost 6% more copper in CWR than bank boxes, but my results could be misleading due to solid copper/solid wheat rolls found in CWR.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 pm

I agree with your hypothesis that the CWR's contain a higher percentage of copper because they have been sitting around longer and are not as diluted as more recent cents in circulation.

I stopped by one of my banks for a drive-by on the way home from work tonight to pick up some walking around money to buy halves with tomorrow and asked if they had any pennies for me. The teller, who knows me said they only had some customer wrapped rolls. I told her I would take them all. Turned out they had $50 worth. I got kind of excited when one of the rolls broke open, spilling out about 10 coins.. and I saw a wheat cent. Looking forward to going through these.

They told me they have a lot of coins in the vault, but the vault had already been counted out for the day. So I guess I will have to try to talk them out of several boxes on Monday during lunch. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 999Ni » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Verbane, love your sig! LOL

Pennybug, welcome to the forum. It seems I'm never lucky enough to get CWR's around here....
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 pm

I get plenty of CWR's.. but I am never lucky enough to get bags. If I could get loose bags I could really get serious about sorting. I just take the cents in whatever form I can get them. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby andrewjackson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 am

8-) . I had gotten skunked once with customer rolls. The bank called and said they had a large deposit of pennies dropped off and asked if I wanted them. When I searched them they were all zinc :( with the exception of some Canadian which I attribute to the prior collecters lack of knowledge pertaining to copper content. After that lesson I always crack open a few rolls to assure they are worth sorting.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby camprunamuk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:52 am

I wonder if a penny hoarder was down on his luck and had to sell them back to the back at face value for the money? It sure sounds like someone had sorted it already...I am sure that they would rather you have it than it just get mixed back into the wild and remain unappreciated....
camprunamuk

Postby misteroman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:12 am

^ if they were all zincs he just got someones dump.
misteroman

Postby misteroman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 am

and yeah I do wwaaaaayyyyyy better with CWR's picked up $70 from a bank the other day and decided to take a quick look when I got to the pizzeria. first roll I opened were ALL cu's with a few shiny 1976's. I got very excited to say the least! 2nd roll the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all in all there were about 25 rolls pure copper with bright red 74-76's! only looked through about $40 of the haul so far, all hand sorting because of it but the other rolls were a strong 30%_+ as well so a good grab indeed1
misteroman

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing