Dirty Coppers

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dirty Coppers

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:07 pm

No... it's not one of Edward G. Robinson's lines from some 1930's gangster movie. But, have you noticed lately that the bank wrapped rolls of cents seem to have a disproportionately higher number of dirty, scrungy, caked, corroded, pitted, crushed, verdigris-encased ugly abes? Looks like they've gone thru a sewer or were dug up by someone metal detecting. I'm finding five or six per roll; the inordinate number of them came to my attention because I pick out the mangled pennies as I cut open rolls so they don't jam the Ryedale. Is it just me... or are there a lot more butt-ugly cents out there nowadays?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Dirty Coppers

Postby newton7 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Same here in Texas. I was starting to think I got someones buried stash fresh out of the back yard. Anyone else?
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm

Had a 50 face batch of CRW last week that looked like they had been collected from the bottom of a port o' potty. There was also enough hair to lead me to belive that someone has a dog shaving outfit here in town.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Maybe the economy has gotten so bad that people besides us are now picking up the cruddy pennies off the ground and spending them back into circulation :?
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 pm

See it here in FL also. Rolls with hairs, fuzz, sticky coins, mangled coins...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Ditto, CWRs here are MD finds or wishing well coins.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby silverhedgehog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:08 pm

NOT Dirty Coppers!! Here in NY they are all UGLY ZINC ABES. I was thinking the mall fountains
myself or a metal detector club is dumping at one of my pick up banks. I hit solid CWR's of just
junk coins from one bank near the mall.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm

beauanderos wrote:No... it's not one of Edward G. Robinson's lines from some 1930's gangster movie. But, have you noticed lately that the bank wrapped rolls of cents seem to have a disproportionately higher number of dirty, scrungy, caked, corroded, pitted, crushed, verdigris-encased ugly abes? Looks like they've gone thru a sewer or were dug up by someone metal detecting. I'm finding five or six per roll; the inordinate number of them came to my attention because I pick out the mangled pennies as I cut open rolls so they don't jam the Ryedale. Is it just me... or are there a lot more butt-ugly cents out there nowadays?

Yes, it's my fault. I bought a metal detector last fall. I dug everything that I could until I figured out what I was doing. And, in the process, all of those pretty pennies you speak of went back to the bank's coin machines. I'm still a little troubled by the fact that the pennies made their way to California. Sorry, my bad! I guess i need to spread out the dumps.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:38 pm

silverhedgehog wrote:NOT Dirty Coppers!! Here in NY they are all UGLY ZINC ABES. I was thinking the mall fountains
myself or a metal detector club is dumping at one of my pick up banks. I hit solid CWR's of just
junk coins from one bank near the mall.

You're right... they are mostly bad zincs, not coppers. The zincs seem to fall apart much worse than the coppers do. Thogey... what's an MD coin?
beauanderos

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 am

Ray took me a second as well MD finds= Metal Detecting finds on the pennies, that my guess anyways.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:52 am

I've noticed an increase in corroded, sticky, hairy, moldy cents around the start of last Fall but where I'm at it's mostly the coppers as opposed to zincolns. The Lincolns I dig up while coin shooting are a different kind of ugly from the cents I get from the bank. I think alot of them are coming from underneath floor mats in cars where it might stay damp and hairy alot. It's definitely some place where it's damp and dirty. I throw them into my ugly abe tubs unless the green crub is still damp. In that case the bank gets them back.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 am

beauanderos wrote:No... it's not one of Edward G. Robinson's lines from some 1930's gangster movie. But, have you noticed lately that the bank wrapped rolls of cents seem to have a disproportionately higher number of dirty, scrungy, caked, corroded, pitted, crushed, verdigris-encased ugly abes? Looks like they've gone thru a sewer or were dug up by someone metal detecting. I'm finding five or six per roll; the inordinate number of them came to my attention because I pick out the mangled pennies as I cut open rolls so they don't jam the Ryedale. Is it just me... or are there a lot more butt-ugly cents out there nowadays?

They're called zincolns. That's what's left after we pull out all the purty copper ones. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby GTOJohn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:22 am

i think that in a response to the bad economy - people are cashing in coins from deep, dark storage places. coinstar is advertising, gold and silver commercials on TV, etc. people are cashing in coins that have been stored for a long time. could be a boost to us sorters! just my thoughts.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bostonbean02 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:57 am

How often does your machine get jammed do to dirty coins... my ryedale is being shipped right now !
Bostonbean02

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing