Is 20% worth it? I'm making $3.75 per hour.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Is 20% worth it? I'm making $3.75 per hour.

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 am

That's cool. I need to check my local Publix - shop there anyway and they may do this with their machine.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:35 am

Another slight edge that I'm trying (to see if it's worth it)... US Mint will send you the new presidential dollar coins, postage free, to your front door, and let you charge it on your card (for which I get points). They come in nice shiney new String rolls of $25, in $250 increments. Got my first box last week. They are perfect for buying penny boxes with. :) So basically I get card points for buying my pennys.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 am

I thought these presidential dollars you could get from the mint were circulated, not new.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:57 am

I don't know how new they are and they don't make any assurances except by type. They look very new; if not uncirculated, they have barely been in circulation. You order by president/year, so they are all of like type, and I don't know how the mint would do that if they weren't from their stockpiles of uncirculated coins.
68Camaro

Postby CrazyTom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm keeping all I sort. Basically I'm trading a piece of paper for copper. If you strike a match to the Federal Reserve note it's gone. The pennies may get a little sooty but they will remain. The pennies can't be printed so their true intrinsic value will rise with the dilution of the paper money. I'm saving them for the same reason I save nickels, silver coins, and gold. I also gather all the scrap metal I can get and convert it into precious metal.

I have an account at a bank that has a free coin sorter for customers. The minimum account was 100 Dollars in savings which earns a little interest.

The Wells Fargo where I get customer wrapped rolls and the dump bank are right next to each other on the way home from work.

The time sorting is time spent on a hobby. So is taking apart a dead microwave oven for scrap money. Or picking up lead wheel weights from the road while on a bike ride. Or the car battery some slob left behind in the shopping center parking lot that fetched me 5 bucks with all my other scrap.

I consider my time involved as an investment. Just like learning a valuable skill, you never know when it will come in handy.

The wheats and other odd balls are fun to find. My best was a brown "mercury" dime. In another post I mentioned that a teller sold me a silver dollar for, get this, a dollar!
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby GTOJohn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:55 am

on the US Mint's web site - i saw they want to get the dollar coins into circulation - and would send you boxes for $250. If i wasnt trying to spend halves from sorting, this would be great!
i thought the government made money when coins were minted, rather than paper that is printer for currency.
but, getting boxes of dollar coins from the us mint sounds like a good idea.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Finder » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 am

I remember when the new dollars 1st came out, many profits were made on the no edge lettering and other minor errors.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing