Clean the blue off of pennies??

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Clean the blue off of pennies??

Postby camprunamuk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 am

I have a few copper pennies with a lot of the blue on them and wanted to clean them....any suggestions? I thought I should ask because two of them are wheaties and I don't want to damage them... Hubby wanted to try some strange things, :o was thinking I should ask someone? Thank you in advance...
:D
camprunamuk

Re: Clean the blue off of pennies??

Postby Finder » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 am

Blue?

Not sure I understand what you mean by that, could you elaborate some?
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby camprunamuk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:17 pm

You know, the bluish green corrosion/tarnish like what makes the statue of liberty blue?
camprunamuk

Postby jasmatk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:56 pm

you can use clr,vinagar,copper cleaner,they also sell a special cleaner for copper coins but I cant think of what its called just rember if you clean them any patina will come off so if they are valuable wheats I would say dont clean them and if you use vinagar dont leave them in to long as it can damage the coin 5 minutes is good.I save all my green death coins untill I get alot of them and then clean them in vinager and salt.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shattered » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

jasmatk wrote:you can use clr,vinagar,copper cleaner,they also sell a special cleaner for copper coins but I cant think of what its called just rember if you clean them any patina will come off so if they are valuable wheats I would say dont clean them and if you use vinagar dont leave them in to long as it can damage the coin 5 minutes is good.I save all my green death coins untill I get alot of them and then clean them in vinager and salt.

I think it is called Verdigone.

After a quick Google search I cam across this stuff called Verdicare.

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/verdigone/
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shattered » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:03 pm

This thread may also be of help. You will have to log in to see the links though.

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8831
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby camprunamuk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 pm

COOL! thanks! I didn't know cleaning it could hurt my wheaties, and two fo the coins with the "blue death" I noticed it called, are indeed wheaties. Most are not though. Does anyone know if one gets into your bucket on accident...will it actually spread or just keep ruining that one coin? I am worried about that I may not have been careful enough looking over the bottom half of the bucket and wondering if I will have to go back through it.....ugh! I just filled my very first 5 gallon bucket and I am so excited!
camprunamuk

Postby BadKarma » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey Camp,

I asked a similar question almost the same time as you. Here's the link so we can share information.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2729
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
If you bowhunt Cape Buffalo, you just might wet your pants.
BadKarma

Postby Rosco » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 am

Have you tried to carry that 5 gal bucket :idea: :oops: I think you would like a 2 gal bucket a lot better :mrgreen:

I believe that keeping the coins dry and not spilling Pop in the bucket will minimize the growth of the Verdigris :)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby camprunamuk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:04 am

Rosco;

We put that bucket where it is going to stay until we move or sell...ROFL. We could barely carry it half full. I hadn't thought of 2 gallon buckets...I will have to keep an eye open for some. Having started hand sorting only late Nov or early Dec...I didn't think I'd be this far already so didn't plan that far ahead. Hubby does have a monster sized handtruck though.
camprunamuk

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing