Cool, Cool Find Today!!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Cool, Cool Find Today!!!

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm

I know a few of you are members of the very elite club of finding a silver dime in a roll of pennies.

Well, I'm still not a member of that club BUT I did find a steel penny today in a roll of dimes AND it was a BONUS COIN!!! So my roll wasn't shorted!!! :D :D :D

It was a 1943D. Not in perfect shape but definitely not too much rust and I could see how they could have gotten it mixed up with the dimes. It is the first steel penny I have found in my searches in well over a year, if not more than that. I know I didn't find one in 2010 and maybe not in 2009 either, but if I did I think it was early in the year. I'd have to go back through my notes to try to figure it out.

I had huge hopes before I opened the roll as it was an extremely old looking wrapper. In fact in was from The Coin-tainer Company paper sleeve type all green roll. Today's Coin-tainer wrappers are the shotgun shell style that are sold in many stores in variety coin wrapper packs.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Re: Cool, Cool Find Today!!!

Postby Shattered » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Congrats on the great find! I don't know if there is a "steel penny in a dime roll" club yet. Maybe you are the founder. :D
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Wow!

Congratulations!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:33 pm

too cool! that must have been a tight fit to get it in there.
Don't feel too bad PTP...I'm not in the silver dime in the penny roll club either. :oops:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheba » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Congratulations! Its exciting to find the 'unexpected' in any roll of pennies, nickles, dimes, etc.

Sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:52 pm

bman wrote:too cool! that must have been a tight fit to get it in there.
Don't feel too bad PTP...I'm not in the silver dime in the penny roll club either. :oops:

It was.

I forgot to put in the original post that I had trouble getting the coins out of the wrapper so I figured there was a penny stuck in the wrapper and holding up the other coins from coming out. So, as I finally got the rest of the dimes falling out onto the tray I use I was looking for a copper colored coin. I didn't see one and my mind was having a problem wrapping itself around that fact. Then I saw the wheat ears and was still confused. Picked it up and then it dawned on me that it was a steel penny. I was excited but figured it had replaced one dime. Then I did my coin count and was ecstatic when I counted 51 coins and knew I hadn't been shorted but had gotten the steel penny as a bonus coin!!! Yippee!!! Finally some good fortune in my searches.

PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks, everyone. It was exciting. Just what I needed today after a couple of extra rough days for me! :!:

PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Congrats! I think steel pennies are almost impossible to find since most coin counters have magnets that catch them. Awesome find!
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby GTOJohn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm

glad to hear that this find came at a good time for ya!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXTim » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 pm

That's a fun twist!
Congrats!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 pm

chris6084 wrote:Congrats! I think steel pennies are almost impossible to find since most coin counters have magnets that catch them. Awesome find!

I've only found one steelie so far, compared to maybe 15 King George's and 30 IHC's. Way to go, Marcia!
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks again, everyone. I looked back through the notes I kept on slips of paper for my searches and I had found six steel pennies before the one yesterday. And those came sometime between July, 2008 and July, 2009. I kept my notes that way until the end of December, 2009 and decided it would be a whole lot easier to keep them on a calendar year basis rather than try to remember the exact day in July I began searching, etc. to run it for one "searching" year.

It is strange that some people find lots and lots of IHs in their searches and yet others don't find any. But we may find some Steel pennies and others find none. I don't know if it is truly just the luck of the draw or if it has something to do with the part of the country in which we are located.

So my score finding through searches in just over 2 1/2 years is: zero IHs and seven Steel Pennies.

As I sit here this morning with cold, cold fingers trying to type this I just realized that my title could be a play on words as well. It WAS a "cool" find as I was trying to keep it colder in the house yesterday to save on our electrical bill and it was down to 60 degrees in the house. I figured it would be cheaper to run a heating pad behind my back to keep me warm rather than to warm the entire house. This morning we got down to 29 degrees here in Central Florida in my area. We are in a pocket that usually is about 5 - 10 degrees colder than other parts of the county. I warmed it up a bit for us to sleep but will keep it cooler again today during the day. So maybe I will make some more "cool" finds today!!! ;) :lol:

PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing