Using coinstar gift cards

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Using coinstar gift cards

Postby Tantalar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Is it possible to use Coinstar to sort your coins and then get a gift card to amazon.com and then re sell what you get on amazon on ebay? I was thinking I would buy some silver coins on amazon.com with my gift card but they are so damn expensive and It turns out that after calculating it all out, Id lose more money buying silver with Amazon than taking the hit from that fee. I was thinking sterling silver jewelry but couldn't find any deals for that either that were worth while. I would only be using coinstar for pennies since id be selling the copper pennies on ebay. Yeah I know I wish I could hoard some but I am currently placing my investments into silver because I see it as being such a massive potential in the coming years.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Using coinstar gift cards

Postby bman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:35 pm

why do you have to buy stuff to resell? why not just use the cards to buy stuff you were going to buy anyway like books or ink for your printer etc...
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tantalar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

I dont ever use Amazon to buy anything, or very rarely at that. If only banks were more open to accepting hundreds of dollars of pennies no questions asked by the bag lol
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tbram88 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

You can just sell the cards.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 pm

tbram88 wrote:You can just sell the cards.

To where? If you try eBay, chances are, you won't sell it for face anyway. Then you have to pay something like 11% of eBay fees. So even if you sell the gift card, you'd be losing more money than you would by just paying the CoinStar fee.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Tommybee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Are you sure you can't use gift cards to the other places that are available? Lowe's, Old Navy, etc.? I love Amazon and have had no problems using the certificates to purchase stuff.
Tommybee

Postby tbram88 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 am

Corsair wrote:
tbram88 wrote:You can just sell the cards.

To where? If you try eBay, chances are, you won't sell it for face anyway. Then you have to pay something like 11% of eBay fees. So even if you sell the gift card, you'd be losing more money than you would by just paying the CoinStar fee.

My neighbor was doing some remodeling so I asked him before I went to coinstar and he bought a Lowes card for FV.
Sold two others to co-workers who purchased lumber, but those I had to knock off a couple bucks but still less than the 8.9c p/$
Maybe not the ultimate answer but was pretty easy for me to.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing