Copper penny sorter

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper penny sorter

Postby Tantalar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried this http://cgi.ebay.com/Copper-Penny-Silver ... 230d3d5dfa before. I was thinking of getting it (I am cheap I know) does anyone else have it and can they tell me if it is that much worse than the expensive Ryedel (spelling?) machines?
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Copper penny sorter

Postby Rosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Andy has the Sniper that has plastic feed tray an a complete unit for a little over $100 unless you think that some other forum has answers to setting the Potentiometer and suggestions on angle of feed tray and you love Soldering fine wires :o :?: Its your choice have fun if I ramp up my Volume it will be a Sniper.

disposing of Zincs on the road is difficult at times :o
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Finder » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:32 am

I have this one, it does pretty good but not 100% accurate.

I just researched my rejects and found 14 coppers.

That is acceptable to me for now at the price.
(provided a key date wheat isnt among those 14!)

Thats about a 99.4% accuracy, however usually its a bit higher.

The sniper is better Im sure, which is reflected in the price.
I will upgrade to one eventually.

If you do get this one build your own housing.

note, if you ever turn it upside down and shake it, the sample coin may fall out.
It HAS to have the copper sample inside, just right of the main slot, to work.
I only use it for copper btw.

(the box I just ran had a little over 20% copper, 9 wheats to 1940, and a canuck)

IMHO, its a good enough way to get started cheaply.

Profit from this one could buy you the sniper if you give it a good workout.

For those that money isnt an issue I would skip this one and just get the sniper, but thats on peoples word here because I havent tested the sniper.

So, to answer your question in one word:

"can they tell me if it is that much worse than the expensive Ryedel "

Yes, I can.

No.

In my opinion.
99.4 % accuracy cant be beat but by half a % which is 12.5 coins per box of 2500.
I estimate probably 30? boxes ran through it in a month or so, so it isnt a virgin.
It will take you an hour to run 1 box.
If you indend to do a higher volume and then the sniper might be the best way to go.

When this one fails, I will buy the Sniper.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tantalar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I saw that the only one he was selling on his website was the $500 one and theres no way I can afford that! Living at home with my parents trying to save money so I can move out right now haha. How much is the sniper and where can I get it? Do I have to send Andy an email or something for that one?
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Tantalar wrote:I saw that the only one he was selling on his website was the $500 one and theres no way I can afford that!

I come across references to a $100 Ryedale, but I think it's a myth. $500 is a little rich for me, too.

Spend an extra five bucks and get the one with the wiring plug: http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-coin-Copper- ... 3764564607 I've bought from this guy and he ships pretty quickly.

You can buy five feet of Hot Wheels track at WalMart for $2.27. If you stick it in boiling water for a few minutes, you can mold a curve in it by wrapping it around a large can. Hold it in place with a belt while it cools to keep the track nice and flat on the curved part.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:03 pm

I purchased the same one from another seller and it was wired up with the power converter. I cobbled together a stable support out of wood and Micky Moused up a pair of chutes that drop the coins into boxes. Once you get going it is easy to put a roll per minute through it. I am running it with a 2010 zincoln in the comparitor. If you go too fast you'll get zinc in the copper side. I just rerun the coppers to make sure and usually there is one zinker in there per roll. I give the zinc side a quick look and dump them after a roll or two. My copper rate is 35% so I do not get too picky if a few coppers end up in the zincs. I like the plastic in feed chute that the Ryedale has and need to find out if it is available for purchase. I just bought a Klopp manual coin counter on fleabay this week and hope to modify it to feed my coin comparitor when it comes in. I'll report back on this adventure.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Finder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:24 pm

If you want the Sniper email Ryedale, he is a member here.
I think its $130 ish shipped.

I'm just fine with my cheapie for now, being as I sort only a few boxes per week
and have no intention on doing more at this time.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing