2011 Pennies??

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

2011 Pennies??

Postby Silver_Stampede » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 am

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been collecting silver, gold, and pennies (hand sorter) for the past couple years and have enjoyed reading the topics on this forum, I have learned a lot!

Anyone here know when we will start seeing 2011 pennies in circulation? Anyone know if the mint is even planning on making pennies this year? I am considering stocking up on boxes before the new shiny ones start showing up; I absolutely despise coming home from a penny run and opening my boxes to see that horrible shine of copper plating!! I am hoping the mint completely stops making them altogether, seeing as they are minting them at a loss. The sooner they stop minting the penny the quicker our copper penny investments will be able to see their true value.
"There comes a time in every man's life when he must hoard precious metals..."
Silver_Stampede

Re: 2011 Pennies??

Postby 999Ni » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Welcome!

I was just sorting, seeing the 2010 shields, and was thinking the same question as you! I'm sure someone here knows....
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 2011 Pennies??

Postby Cerulean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:00 pm

In regards to production planning, the Mint does not make plans for the entire year. They operate the minting lines on a week-by-week, month-by-month basis, all depending on the order demands from Fed Reserve banks. They have no idea right now what their production for all of 2011 will look like, though they could at least guess if it will be higher or lower than last year.

To illustrate, I don't think that the Mint knew in January 2009 that they'd turn off the production lines for dimes and nickels in April 2009, nor did they have any idea in April 2009 that they'd resume dime and nickel production in April 2010.

They will make 2011 pennies if the Fed Reserve places an order for pennies that cannot be filled with existing (2010) inventory. I think this is certain to happen.

To ask the Mint in January what plans they have circulation coinage production in 2011 is like me asking you what your food buying schedule is for the whole year. The Mint simply does not think that far in advance.

Of course, for low mintage coins like half dollars, commemoratives, and bullion coins, the game is entirely different. Also, keep in mind that design and composition changes come from Congress alone these days, never from the Mint directly. Everything is political.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing