Hand Sorting vs Automated Sorters

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Hand Sorting vs Automated Sorters

Postby uthminsta » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 am

Mine is set for about the "2:30" angle. Just a shade up to the right. Of course, I bet each one will vary some. But for mine, that seems to be pretty picky without giving "false rejects."
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:37 am

Hello,

We did a post a while back where I asked a similar question. You might find it interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19072&hilit=mining

Plus I got to compile that: 22 were hand sorters and 35 were automatic ones.

Generally speaking as long as you are around 25$-50$ a week people stay manual. There are exceptions, the largest handsorter was at 150$ a week!!!!

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Uthminsta, mine looks like it's set at 1:00/7:00 for the 100% accept so I could turn to 2:30 (2:00-3:00) for zinc accept. I was originally thinking of setting it to 100% accept for both runs (zinc accept and later copper accept) figuring with the 100% zinc accept, some or more early wheats would go into the copper with the other wheats, canadians, dimes etc. Then on the 100% copper accept, it might kick out some of the wheats along with the canadians, dimes etc. Am I wrong to think this way? Would I be better off setting the zinc a little looser or would that loose even more wheats? I realize it may reject more zincs at 100% accept, but the copper sort should kick those zincs out anyway, right?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Kylescoins » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm

I just got A ryedale and am having trouble getting enough penny's any suggestions
Kylescoins

Postby Kylescoins » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Love my ryedale
Kylescoins

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:05 pm

In what part of the country are you located? How many banks do you have accounts with?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:19 am

Kyle there are all sorts of methods you can find here at RC for opening strategic accounts, sweet-talking tellers, designating a "dump bank", finding credit unions with lobby change counters, etc. I've just never found the time to do my research and take all the free advice the good folks here give out.

As such, your problem is the exact reason I haven't bought a Ryedale. At first, it was easy for me to get a $25 box of pennies from my bank, Chase. But the more I asked (politely of course), the more annoyed they got. I never asked for more than one box a week from any location. Still, some branches (there are five or six close to me) got so tired of me they'd just tell me they had no pennies at all, or that the manager with the key to the safe was on vacation, blah blah. Then there was dumping them... they got really sick of that too, even if I hand counted, rolled and presented the rolls in neatly packed $25 boxes.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Kylescoins » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I have a ryedale and am looking for a place to sell the copper
Kylescoins

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Kylescoins wrote:I have a ryedale and am looking for a place to sell the copper

Find a mentor.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby millermaher2016 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:32 pm

tinhorn wrote:Apparently you didn't heed the advice about hearing protection.

I believe tinhorn was commenting on the fact that you switched to all bold in your more recent comments. Now - if you start going with all bold AND all caps, we are going to have to get you hearing protection and a good pair of sunglasses.
millermaher2016

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Yeah, yeah. I resemble that remark! I was using larger text and bold letters for others ease of reading. My eyesight is 20/20. When you post a message the system allows for type size, style, format etc. I like to make the older farts comfortable! You'll notice this isn't larger type or bolder. So, which is easier to read? This or my larger Bolded type? As my daughters would say Lol!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 pm

How do I post a reply in a thread that is specific to a previous post (like tinhorn's previous post replied to/referenced by millermaher2016) .
Any help would be appreciated.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Shazbot57 wrote:How do I post a reply in a thread that is specific to a previous post (like tinhorn's previous post replied to/referenced by millermaher2016) .

Like this? Instead of hitting the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page hit the "Quote" button on the post you want to reference.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am

dannan14 wrote:
Shazbot57 wrote:How do I post a reply in a thread that is specific to a previous post (like tinhorn's previous post replied to/referenced by millermaher2016) .

Like this? Instead of hitting the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page hit the "Quote" button on the post you want to reference.

Thanks Dannan14, now I know how!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Shazbot57 wrote:
dannan14 wrote:

Thanks Dannan14, now I know how!

Also, when you hit the Quote button it shows the actual code to create the quote boxes. Use quote (inside of this kind of brackets [] ) to start it, and /quote (also inside brackets) to end it. You can attribute the quote to anyone/anything as necessary by typing quote="insert name here" (again inside the brackets).

The manual method i just described is useful for quoting parts of articles you are linking, or for quoting multiple people in the same reply.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Abe Lincoln wrote:The manual method i just described is useful for quoting parts of articles you are linking, or for quoting multiple people in the same reply.

Or for misattributing things. Quite fun. ;)
uthminsta

Postby dannan14 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:11 pm

uthminsta wrote:
Abe Lincoln wrote:The manual method i just described is useful for quoting parts of articles you are linking, or for quoting multiple people in the same reply.

That Abe...always ahead of his time!
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:54 pm

dannan14 wrote:That Abe...always ahead of his time!

uthminsta

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 am

uthminsta wrote:

Who is this Abe guy in Japan using my name, and why is he screwing with the money? (Abenomics)
:twisted: :lol:
Attachments
hB529CBE0.jpg
hB529CBE0.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Last edited by Shazbot57 on Fri May 30, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Fast Eddy, Engineer, & Uthminsta: Switched to Zinc accept first dialed the sensitivity as recommended and what a difference. Much less time, very accurate and much easier! Thanks again for all the guidance/help!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:08 am

experiment with the setting to find where you want to be. My zinc machines are set "loose" on the zinc accept so I get a few dozen zincs in the Copper "rejects"...then those go through the Copper machine and it is also set loose on the copper accept...all the zincs, the early wheat's, IH's, *edit (and some copper mostly early 70's) and anything not copper are rejected here. These "rejects" are then scanned and separated and weighed to insure only copper is kept. The Cu is ran through the counter to check percentage of Cu. The results are logged. I know how many boxes and bags I have sorted and what the percentage of each is, also what other coin (dimes, Nics, IH's or whatever). Every so often I write the date down to kinda give me a timeline in my book.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Shazbot57 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:29 am

fasteddy wrote:experiment with the setting to find where you want to be. My zinc machines are set "loose" on the zinc accept so I get a few dozen zincs in the Copper "rejects"...then those go through the Copper machine and it is also set loose on the copper accept...all the zincs, the early wheat's, IH's, *edit (and some copper mostly early 70's) and anything not copper are rejected here. These "rejects" are then scanned and separated and weighed to insure only copper is kept. The Cu is ran through the counter to check percentage of Cu. The results are logged. I know how many boxes and bags I have sorted and what the percentage of each is, also what other coin (dimes, Nics, IH's or whatever). Every so often I write the date down to kinda give me a timeline in my book.

I'm doing it very similarly, except I don't run them thru a counter. My account banks (I use multiple dump banks) and spread it around from week to week on the dumps so I don't alienate a bank) use a Cummings (free) high speed counter and they're pretty accurate so I keep track of my returns to calculate CU yield. Based on the weight of the returns/dumps I can tell their counters are pretty accurate. With the Canadians and foreign I find in the adjacent trash cans, plus an occasional silver "something", it's all good! :thumbup:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing