Storing Copper Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Storing Copper Pennies

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:46 pm

uthminsta wrote:
johnbrickner wrote:Aww come on, no one admits to using the cat litter jugs? Big handle, not to heavy.

I use the BIG Folgers red plastic tubs. Good solid plastic, with a built-in handle. Each of the big un's holds right at $50 and the next size down holds about $33. So it's easy to do the math to approximate how much I have. And they stack well too. We buy them at Sam's Club so they always have the biggest sizes. Oh, and I have the advantage of working at a church where at least 2 pots of this stuff are brewed every day, and something like 5 pots on Sunday. So I can bring these home pretty often.

I like these also. They stopped making the 33 oz with the reach thru handles which were great. Now they have the fingertip grip handles, which are ok on the 33 oz size but a little tougher if you have the big size pictured. Any suggestions for getting rid of the coffee smell? I like that smell with coffee but not when I'm drinking my beer and sorting pennies! :D
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu May 08, 2014 4:58 pm

I use my wife's lilac hand soap to wash out the coffee smell. Yeah I dropped the larger 48 oz thinking it was a 33 oz, Cu cents all over the floor. Thinking of running my cents tonight...might be enough to fill one of those cat litter buckets I scrounged from the dumpster the other day.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu May 08, 2014 5:59 pm

coppernickel wrote:Detergent bottles, etc. I like smaller. Don't have cats but know the bottles, just right.

After a few years I have some in each, ammo cans, too heavy. Peanut bottles, yes they are glass, but I haven't taken them out, yet. Cent boxes, most of mine are back in the box. I dislike buckets, too heavy, but these are the ones I hide in the forest. You know the saying, best place to hide a tree is in plain site in the forest.

[b][best place to hide a tree is in plain site in the forest./b] :thumbup:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:09 pm

coppernickel wrote:Detergent bottles, etc. I like smaller. Don't have cats but know the bottles, just right.

After a few years I have some in each, ammo cans, too heavy. Peanut bottles, yes they are glass, but I haven't taken them out, yet. Cent boxes, most of mine are back in the box. I dislike buckets, too heavy, but these are the ones I hide in the forest. You know the saying, best place to hide a tree is in plain site in the forest.

Just make sure you leave a note in your will where you buried those things so your kids can find it before they sell the farm. You'd be surprised what we metal detectors "dig up" searching old "wooded" areas. :D
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Shazbot57 wrote:Any suggestions for getting rid of the coffee smell?

Open tubs + outside in sunlight + a week = near smelless out tubs.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing