Storing Copper Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Storing Copper Pennies

Postby Shazbot57 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm new to sorting but recently sorted 17 boxes of pennies plus the original 8 boxes and now have $175+ FV (110+ pounds) plus a cereal bowl of wheats and about 8 pounds Ugly Abe/green gunk coppers (stored separately) in a combination of older 1/2 gallon glass mayo jars, brinks boxes, and #2 HDPE Coffee jugs. I also have 3- 32.5 lb (approx 3 gal) #2 HDPE laundry detergent buckets available for use(I really like these because they have flat bottoms). I also have started working on getting one gallon mayo/dressing #2 HDPE jars from a local supermarket.

I've tried to read a lot of the blog posts about storage re: pvc in plastic buckets, canvas bags, 5 gal buckets (#2 HDPE), boxes, etc. I realize it's all personal preference and materials availability. I have a cool dry (dehumidified) basement for storage.

So my question is: Is there any type of container I should or should not use like glass, etc. for storage?
Last edited by Shazbot57 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Re: Storing Copper Pennies

Postby baggerman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I wrap mine and put them back in the original penny boxes or store them in ammo cans when I don't have any boxes handy. This way they are small enough that I don't strain a nut trying to move them and by being wrapped in penny wrappers (I get them free from the bank) I can count how much I have or count them out for sale pretty quickly.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I just store them in plastic bank bags which I get from the bank for "freeeee"... then stick them on a pallet and away they go to storage. It is amazing how many pennies you can stack in bags. Takes up way less space then buckets and is a lot easier to move.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mishra142 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:25 pm

When I first started I used 5 gal buckets (not easy to move) then went to 50 Gal drums (impossible to move) now through all those trials and tribulations I perfer bags (clear kind you get from the coin machine at banks) they are easily stackable on pallets, you can see inside them so you can rest assured no green funk is taking over, and if you store 34 lbs per bag, if and when you go to sell them you can put two in a med flat rate box and off they go.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Reddirt & Mishra,
I have some of the Coin Lok bags from a bank that has a coin sorting machine. They keep them under the sorter on the floor, so I helped myself to a couple but didn't know if they contained pvc, would hold in humidity, or what results folks had with them long term. They have a marked air hole in them. I have used them for taking halves back to my dump banks, but was unsure about long term storage.

So my question is: Is there any type of container I should or should not use like glass, etc. for storage?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Mine are always hit by temps... It's 14 outside and so are a lot of my pennies... well covered in a shed that is. I've never had an issue. All I use is plastic bags and I stick 100fv in each bag. Never stored them in anything that would harm them. My goal is to wait fro the melt ban to come off.
I do however keep XF-BU for my personal collection. Those are just in plastic bank bags in the garage... I don't really care about humidity or temperatures.
Not use, I don't know.. Just don't worry about that and go get bank bags. As long as they are dry you should be ok.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 am

i would change out the ones in glass... it would not be fun if you dropped one..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 am

If you are really concerned with the humidity.. take a sock that has lost its family and put some rice in it.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Reddirtcoins, Baggerman, Yuengling, & Digginforcopper. Thanks for weighing in. It helps when you're new to be able to draw from such a large base of experience and knowledge. I used to re-roll coppers but that got old fast with quantity. I like the idea of the ammo cans but all mine are being used for "other" purposes right now and they cost $10-15 each hereabouts so not super affordable for any large quantity. I plan to transfer out of glass as I pickup one gallon #2 HDPE jugs. The tip on the rice is a great idea and cheaper than the $6 for 20 dessicant packs on Amazon. I checked on the Coin Lok bags and they are #4 LDPE which appear to be ok. You can find info here or on the interweb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_polyethylene

http://www.dynalabcorp.com/technical_in ... hylene.asp
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Aww come on, no one admits to using the cat litter jugs? Big handle, not to heavy.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:13 pm

No cats here, just big dogs! We have the Laundry detergent variety of the cat litter buckets! :P
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby mrlaufer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Rolled, I can fit $48 FV stuffed tightly into a standard coffee can. 48 rolls on the bottom going around the edge first and then 48 rolls on top utilizing the outer edge first again. This works well for me for stacking and storing.
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason-so you can listen twice as much as you speak.
Molon Labe
mrlaufer
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:57 pm

This may be a little OCD, but I package them in 1-qt ziplock bags, then five of those bags to a gallon bag. I get most of the air out and wrap the whole thing in packing tape. Taped up tight, each forms a nice little 8 in x 8 in x 4 in brick of $25.00. Easy to stack, move, and store out of the way.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:30 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:This may be a little OCD, but I package them in 1-qt ziplock bags, then five of those bags to a gallon bag. I get most of the air out and wrap the whole thing in packing tape. Taped up tight, each forms a nice little 8 in x 8 in x 4 in brick of $25.00. Easy to stack, move, and store out of the way.

You're telling this group about OCD? I'd say we all have varying degrees of OCD! But that's what makes me "unique"! :lol:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:15 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Aww come on, no one admits to using the cat litter jugs? Big handle, not to heavy.

I use the BIG Folgers red plastic tubs. Good solid plastic, with a built-in handle. Each of the big un's holds right at $50 and the next size down holds about $33. So it's easy to do the math to approximate how much I have. And they stack well too. We buy them at Sam's Club so they always have the biggest sizes. Oh, and I have the advantage of working at a church where at least 2 pots of this stuff are brewed every day, and something like 5 pots on Sunday. So I can bring these home pretty often.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 pm

The best part of waking up .. is COPPERS in your cup.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Verbane » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:The best part of waking up .. is COPPERS in your cup.

:lol: :clap: :clap:
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 am

My drums, buckets, bags are all full. I had a bunch of range brass in coffee containers so I dumped those out and filled the containers with Cu cents....Using my new favorite counter a 313, the smaller red container holds $35 and the larger 48oz red container holds $50 bucks in Cu Cents. I keep my ugly Abe's in the blue ones, Will count those soon.

Nice one there AG M!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

fasteddy wrote:Using my new favorite counter a 313, the smaller red container holds $35 and the larger 48oz red container holds $50 bucks in Cu Cents.

:thumbup: I know, right? Isn't it nice they made them the "right" size for easy counting?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby spacemanX » Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 am

since i can get bags of pennies, i save them, and when i get 34 lbs of copper pennies, it equals about $50. otherwis i use the plastic containers (cashew, peanut, pickel) for my quick sorting. each holds 25 and 35 respectively if i shake them down. i also use them for dumping the zinc.
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 am

I use 30 cal ammo cans. Easily fits $50, and it's in a robust steel container with a watertight seal and handle.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon May 05, 2014 7:06 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:The best part of waking up .. is COPPERS in your cup.

Why I love this group. Some mornings are just made better when you can read stuff like this. :)
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon May 05, 2014 1:35 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Aww come on, no one admits to using the cat litter jugs? Big handle, not to heavy.

I just scavenged a half dozen out of the plastic recycling dumpster this morning. Looking forward to filling them up.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Mon May 05, 2014 11:55 pm

fasteddy wrote:

I just scavenged a half dozen out of the plastic recycling dumpster this morning. Looking forward to filling them up.

Mee-Yow!
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue May 06, 2014 9:24 am

Detergent bottles, etc. I like smaller. Don't have cats but know the bottles, just right.

After a few years I have some in each, ammo cans, too heavy. Peanut bottles, yes they are glass, but I haven't taken them out, yet. Cent boxes, most of mine are back in the box. I dislike buckets, too heavy, but these are the ones I hide in the forest. You know the saying, best place to hide a tree is in plain site in the forest.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing