ordering boxes

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

ordering boxes

Postby kiwiman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm thinking of really ramping up my sorting and ordering a lot more pennies from banks, However I am concerned about how many of the ordered boxes will be zinc, could anyone tell me what percent of your penny orders are skunks? also is hoping to get about $800 in pennies a week from 3 banks realistic? thanks
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Re: ordering boxes

Postby Rosco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:24 pm

I don't think three banks will let you have $800. $200 to $300 is more realistic, what are your plans for dump bank :?: :?:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Kiwi your gonna need a dolly....dont worry about the zinc skunks you will have plenty to think about dumping that much zinc.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby kiwiman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 pm

I already have a loose dump bank and Ive ordered $450 and $550 from a bank before with no problem, i dont mean $800 from each bank but from all 3, CWRs can account for part of the 800, but from orders how often might i get skunked.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 pm

kiwiman wrote:I already have a loose dump bank and Ive ordered $450 and $550 from a bank before with no problem, i dont mean $800 from each bank but from all 3, CWRs can account for part of the 800, but from orders how often might i get skunked.

Don't worry about getting skunked. Unless you have a major sorter in your area, the only real worry you have is getting uncirculated 2010 boxes. And if that starts happening, just order more coins from another bank. $800 a week from three banks is definitely do-able. Just make sure you have all of the dump banks lined up, or you will get buried in zinc.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm

doesnt happen that much...I have done 60 boxes so far this year no solid zincs boxes yet....last year got a solid '08 box and two solid '10 boxes so three from 180 boxes....not too bad....its the percentage you wonder about more, some boxes are better than others...good luck.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby kiwiman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 pm

ok sounds like the skunks wont be a problem, I just worried because when I ordered those $550 they were all 2010 :( right now I only have one dump bank, they are very nice when I drop of a few hundred loose in pennies and it just takes seconds, I leave them by the vault and they put my account slip in and I leave. How many dump banks should I have?
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:48 pm

This past weekend I asked my Bank of America teller for two $25 penny boxes and she replied, "ok that's 25 boxes of pennies". I immediately corrected her and subsequently walked away with the two boxes. All the rest of that day I wondered if I should of just answered her and said yes that's correct....and having said yes would they indeed have given me the 25 boxes with my having no merchant account? I'm still wondering about it...
"IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO WIN THE GAME I WOULD PICK MICHAEL JORDEN...IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO SAVE MY LIFE I WOULD PICK LARRY BIRD"--Pat Riley, Laker Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:38 pm

ordering 4 boxes is scary at one time until you order 24 boxes. Then 4 boxes is no big deal. Once you expand your horizons, its hard to look back...... Go for it
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Economist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Guys, don't forget that Unc. solid date boxes- e.g. all new 2010- sell for around $35 on feeBay. That's pretty decent for not even sorting them!
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Better yet order bags. I just picked up ten $50.00 bags today that I ordered last week. And I ordered 10 more for next week.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scott » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been sorting by hand for some time. I just ordered a ryedale apprentice so I expect production to really ramp up. The problem I have is that when I tried to order boxes of pennies ($100 worth per week), my local bank said they would have to charge me 5 cents per roll or $10 per $100 of pennies. Do you all have this problem with being charged for ordering the pennies by the box? Are there other ways to buy large amounts without this happening?

I was ready to process a lot of pennies until I got this piece of bad news.
scott

Postby scott » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 am

How do you go about ordering bags? Can banks order either boxes or bags for customers?
scott

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 am

Welcome to the forum Scott. Never pay a fee to pick up your pennies. There are a lot of banks out there just keep shopping around until you find one that will order for you without charging a fee. When you find a bank that will order for you then ask them to ask the armored car service that serves them if they can supply them with bags. I have found that if I order larger amounts like $500.00 or $1000.00 most of the time they will come bags.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby .02FYI » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 am

Yes the banks are wanting to charge a fee for everyday stuff to recoup things that once were included. Your fee pays for coffee etc.. They call it freight. I got one box form my normal bank and the teller stated that she would put it in a bag and not to tell anyone . As if whe were doing me a great favor. Not charging me a fee.

Same bank yet at larger location possible main branch. The teller who didn't know me came off box no problem .So I will try again and get two next time. Possible work my way up.
I also agree don't pay the fee.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby kiwiman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 pm

$1800 coming on Thursday from 3 banks.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shrewd 1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 am

kiwiman wrote:$1800 coming on Thursday from 3 banks.

Thats close to 1150 lbs. in the CU and Zinc mix. :shock:
Shrewd 1

Postby kiwiman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:43 pm

picked up the boxes, only $1200 worth one bank forgot to order and they will be here on Wednesday also my main bank said that they could have ordered all $1800!
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Congrats on getting a few decent size orders kiwiman. I would love to have a bank that would order $1800 for me every week. Boy, if I could get bags like ND Farmer I would really ramp up production.

When you start playing at the higher levels, the trickiest part is zinc disposal. I remember a few years ago getting cut off from one of my dump banks for bringing in a mere $3k in zinc in the space of a week. You should find multiple dump banks and spread the dumps around.

A couple of years ago a lot of us were getting skunk boxes in our pickups.. solid boxes of circulated zinc. It really hurts when an entire $600 order is skunk boxes. They were quick to sort though.. just put them on the scale and them place them in the outgoing stack. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Don't ya just hate when banks "forget" to put in your order? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Joogaler » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm

kiwiman wrote:$1800 coming on Thursday from 3 banks.

That's quite an order, I got $1050 coming in this week. Going to go bank source searching next week... Hope to be picking up $2400 weekly... But we'll see.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Joogaler » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Don't ya just hate when banks "forget" to put in your order? :mrgreen:

Isn't it strange that they forget something as unusual order of a couple hundred dollars worth of pennies?

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Nah, banks forget stuff all the time. I have had one of my banks call me when they forgot to put in their regular weekly order.. wanting to know if I could supply them with 8 boxes of pennies to take care of their merchant customers. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Joogaler » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:49 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Nah, banks forget stuff all the time. I have had one of my banks call me when they forgot to put in their regular weekly order.. wanting to know if I could supply them with 8 boxes of pennies to take care of their merchant customers. :mrgreen:

That's pretty cool. I wish I had the equipment to roll that you have.... :(

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Being able to roll your own does have a few advantages. In addition to having the zinc accepted at more banks, it also makes buying gas fun. I did a double box purchase last week.. and a single box purchase this week. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing