Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby Kent Allard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I just joined the site today although I have been reading it for a few weeks. My son is 5 and over the holidays I started him on sorting pennies. He loves it and keeps asking for more. It's a great way for him to learn several different skills. Throughput is not that high :), but that's not our goal right now. He checks each penny against his list of dates. He's got it down that anything starting with a "2" or "199" goes in the "bad" pile. I hope to teach him about free markets as well. We'll be selling lots every now and then so he can see how a business works. We can reinvest our profits in more pennies or toys...probably toys. My father taught me the same way when I grew up except we were seraching for silver and wheat cents.
Kent Allard

Re: New Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Welcome Kent! It's always so nice to hear about members sorting with their respective offspring - brings a smile to my face. I hope things continue to go well for you and your young one in your copper mining. Make sure that you remind to tell people where the funds will go when you finally decide to list an auction here. I think you'd be surprised of the extra FRNs a little tale of your son brings.

Welcome again, and I hope you enjoy Realcent as much as I do.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 pm

welcome to the nuthouse! :P
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm

bman wrote:welcome to the nuthouse! :P

Oh, no no no. We are not the nut house. As an avid Ohio State fan, there is only one nut house I hold dear:

"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm

bman wrote:welcome to the nuthouse! :P

Nuthouse maybe. Anyways welcome to the boards and there's a vast amount of knowledge you can obtain here. :D :D
"IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO WIN THE GAME I WOULD PICK MICHAEL JORDEN...IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO SAVE MY LIFE I WOULD PICK LARRY BIRD"--Pat Riley, Laker Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Kent Allard wrote:I just joined the site today although I have been reading it for a few weeks. My son is 5 and over the holidays I started him on sorting pennies. He loves it and keeps asking for more. It's a great way for him to learn several different skills. Throughput is not that high :), but that's not our goal right now. He checks each penny against his list of dates. He's got it down that anything starting with a "2" or "199" goes in the "bad" pile. I hope to teach him about free markets as well. We'll be selling lots every now and then so he can see how a business works. We can reinvest our profits in more pennies or toys...probably toys. My father taught me the same way when I grew up except we were seraching for silver and wheat cents.

Do you have a coin folder http://www.whitmanbooks.com/default.aspx?page=80&SubCatOID=16 filling the holes is fun. Are you on the east are west coast. It is hard to find some mint marks from the other coast. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kent Allard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Do you have a coin folder

Absolutely! I broke mine out from when I was a kid. It's funny because we had zero interest in filling any slot after 1958. We were always focused on the wheats because the memorials were so common. So, none of the post 58 slots are filled. I would have be collecting these in the early 1980s. In fact, I remember the change to zinc in 1982 and what a big deal that was made about the change. In our meager findings so far, we have no 1959s and very few 1960s. Most of the find have been 1970s. My dad is sending down a small bag of wheats this week for us to go through. It's been fun. We broke out a small bag of silver and other coins this weekend too. My son loved the buffalo nickels.
Kent Allard

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Welcome to your "NEW" family! We understand everything.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby plus1hdcp » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Welcome from another new member to this forum.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lsujoeylsu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Welcome. My 4 year old loves to help me search as well.
Cash back in ebay purchases with no minimum payout.
http://www2.quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5ADP
lsujoeylsu

Postby tbram88 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 am

Welcome from another new guy, this site has been a wealth of knowledge for me and my son.
BTW I think, (as others have already said) its awesome to hear about how others are sorting with they're kids.
This quality time is priceless, and so many learning moments for the kids.
I'm glad I found this site...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby appjoe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:49 am

Welcome and enjoy this is a great family
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ramy98 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 am

Welcome to the forums; enjoy the time spent with your son sorting :D
ramy98