2x face...+

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

2x face...+

Postby Larkin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Saw an auction on eBay tonight in which copper cents
went for 2.03 times face!!!
This is the highest I've seen ever.

Has anyone seen any higher?
Larkin

Re: 2x face...+

Postby tbram88 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:21 am

I had one went for 2.6 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220719269795&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
I have three that don't sell for every one that does. But the ones that do I get 19.95 starting bid.

A lot of people sell for less than 1.5 but there's plenty of fish out there, just think if everyone from this forum (which is likely most of the total sellers on ebay) held out for 2x starting bid, the rest would soon follow suit and we could raise the basement to 2x+

Just a thought...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby justoneguy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:27 am

although it can't be considered profit,
shipping has to be included in the final tally.
you got $26 + $6 shipping.
in my book that's 3.2X
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 am

justoneguy wrote:you got $26 + $6 shipping.
in my book that's 3.2X

Do you work for the government?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:15 am

NDFarmer wrote:
justoneguy wrote:you got $26 + $6 shipping.
in my book that's 3.2X

Do you work for the government?

I'm starting to feel like that duck from them Aflack commercials. I'm just shaking my head....I'll get it in a minute.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Corsair » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 am

Guys, justoneguy has a point. He said that you can't consider it profit. When someone on the forum wants to sell their coins for "1.7 shipped", do we laugh at them for including shipping in that price? Of course not. justoneguy is just saying that in terms of how we on the forum sell pennies, Bob got "3.2 shipped." Even though when someone says here they want 1.7 shipped, not all of that is profit. The same is true with Bob's case of 3.2 shipped.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:14 am

I know that Corsair I was just making a joke. If you really want to be honest with yourself about it and add in the cost of gas, trips to bank to get coins and trips to the bank to drop off zincers. Plus keep track of all your time going to the bank, and the hours sorting. Plus money spent on strapping tape we are all loosing money by selling for anything under 2X face with out the cost of shipping added in.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Larkin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

Personally, my "trips" to the bank are just when passing by so I really don't have any expenses as far as traveling is concerned. I do hand sort and hand wrap but after all my other work is complete and usually while the tv is on in the evening. I enjoy this hobby and find it as a relaxation method for me as opposed to "work". My personal goal is to have $5,000.00 in copper and someday realize a three-fold return on my hoard. I should meet my goal sometime this year and once I do, I will probably aim for $10,000.00.
Larkin

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 am

justoneguy wrote:although it can't be considered profit,
in my book that's 3.2X

That's right! You have to consider the shipping as part of the cost of the coins to the buyer.

I almost bought a 1 lb. bag of soft brass cents (aka gliding metal) on ebay for 99 cents. I clicked on the buy button before I realized the shiping was $3.95. Holy cow! 0.99 + 3.95 = $4.94! :o At 155 cents per pound that makes: $4.94 / $1.55 = 3.18 x face!! :shock:

No sale. Instead of hitting the "confirm" button, I backed out.
Last edited by Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 am

NDFarmer wrote:I know that Corsair I was just making a joke. If you really want to be honest with yourself about it and add in the cost of gas, trips to bank to get coins and trips to the bank to drop off zincers. Plus keep track of all your time going to the bank, and the hours sorting. Plus money spent on strapping tape we are all loosing money by selling for anything under 2X face with out the cost of shipping added in.

Right on, NDFarmer!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thedrifter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm

justoneguy wrote:although it can't be considered profit,
in my book that's 3.2X

When selling on the Feebay you have to deduct the Feebay fees.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing