Do you call the bank when you need more boxes?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do you call the bank when you need more boxes?

Postby chris819 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi everyone. I was wondering how people go about getting boxes of pennies or oher boxes of coins from the bank. I just go in and ask the teller but every time i do they give me a bad look but they allways give me the 2 boxes of pennies i asked for. So my question is do you just walk in and ask or do you call and ask if you could come in and get a box or 2? If you call do you ask for somone. Thanks Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Do you call the bank when you need more boxes?

Postby newton7 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:36 pm

The best thing I have come up with is to talk to a branch mgt or someone in charge of the drive thru lanes. The drive thru lane deals in lots of change and generally has boxes and boxes stacked up in there. I get them to arrange for me to pick up every week at the same time. So now I hit on Wed morning right after the Tue afternoon drop. I go every Wed and never leave them holding the extra pennies. If I am going out of town, I tell them in advance to stop ordering until I return and start it put again. This way they never have extra boxes taking up space. Also I only hit them for 4 boxes at a time. They seem to think that is an ok number.

I always take what they give even if there all new pennies, I always thank them and sometimes take my son who sorts with me. A kid in the car saying "thank you" goes a long way.

I think the drive thrus are the key as they have the boxes and do not have to go somewhere to recover them. The in bank tellers are usually the grumpy ones who have to get up and leave their station to track down boxes.

This is what works for me. Good luck!
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tbram88 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

I also order ahead I order four boxes each at two different banks. They call me when they get in and I pick them up right away.
My next step will be to pick up 10 boxes at the main(Vault) branch downtown in addition to the 8 I already get.

Hope this helps...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby chris819 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the help Newton7, and tbram88. I will be going to the bank tomorrow and ask 2 get 2 boxes and ask her if i could get 2 boxes a week. Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Finder » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:04 pm

I asked mine to just order me a box per week. One of them likes me to call before coming so they can get them out of the vault when the lines arent busy.
This works for me also because I do not want to wait long to leave with my box.

Also, some banks tend to lock their vault down in prep to leave at 5pm or whatever, so if you plan to get your pennies late in the day a call might be good.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 pm

I order my boxes usually 10 at a time from my credit union, and pick them up promptly. My credit union also calls me when they have pennies and other coins come in.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby chris819 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 am

Thanks for the help Finder, and Tourney64. I am going to ask the teller if she wants me to call her before i came and pick up the coins. Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:41 pm

I call and order. No need to see the dirty looks. "Sir , do you know how many boxes that is?" Yes I am aware :mrgreen:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing