Coinstar, 12 new no fee brands

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coinstar, 12 new no fee brands

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 pm

I got an email today from coinstar.
https://www.coinstar.com/NewPartners

Just thought I would share with those of you who use Coinstar. ;)
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Coinstar, 12 new no fee brands

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm

I noticed the new options when I dumped a bag of zinc in the CoinStar machine at my grocery store recently. The grocery store's gift card was no longer available unfortunately. I ended up getting a gift card for The Home Depot instead.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sullysullinburg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:03 am

Is one of them cash?
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby DaMangRon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 am

I don't understand why anyone would use a coinstar. You can open a free Christmas saver account at a td bank and use their machine for free. I also get bonus foreign coins just about every time I dump.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am

DaMangRon wrote:I don't understand why anyone would use a coinstar. You can open a free Christmas saver account at a td bank and use their machine for free. I also get bonus foreign coins just about every time I dump.

Coinstars are slow and have extra hoops to jump through to avoid fees, but not everybody has the luxury of a coin counter at the bank. There aren't any local banks with self-serve coin counters around me. I find it much easier to buy sorted coppers when I need them than to run around sourcing and dumping pennies.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:58 pm

When TD took over BankNorth (years ago) the branch didn't get a coin counter. Fact, I never found a counter in any TD bank I went to. However, I did however get a good premium on the BankNorth stock. I never use coin star. I'd rather hand roll.

In the Syracuse area of NY it appears only Solvay Bank and Empower Federal Credit Union (EFCU) have coin counters. The Solvay Bank one is slow and clogs/jams often. The newly discovered EFCU one is fast and EFCU has a better (B+) rating from Weiss Ratings compared to Solvay Bank (B). What used to take 1/2 hour to 45 min now takes 5 to 10 min at EFCU. Good bye Solvay, Hello EFCU.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 am

All of the banks around here require coins to be rolled. No coin counting machines available for dumping. Some credit unions have CoinStar machines available and discount the fee for members or even waive the fee if certain membership criteria is met. But the machines are from CoinStar and are just like those in other retail locations so there is no getting around dealing with the slow machines when it comes time to dump. To avoid excessive dumping at your local credit union you have to sometimes turn to using one of the other CoinStar locations and settle for the best no-fee gift card option available.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DaMangRon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 am

Wow..I guess I'm just pretty lucky to live in the tri state area. There are 10 td banks within a 30 min drive from my house. I actually go to a different one every time I need to dump coins just so I can scrap the magnet for free Canadian money...lol
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 am

Check with area credit unions. You can also do small dumps in self serve Walmarts.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby mhh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:51 pm

DaMangRon wrote:I don't understand why anyone would use a coinstar. You can open a free Christmas saver account at a td bank and use their machine for free. I also get bonus foreign coins just about every time I dump.

There's no TD in my area, nor any other banks with coin counters for that matter.
mhh

Postby coppernickel » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:01 pm

It truly is a game. This bank charges to get coin, one charged 10% per roll. I have even told me if they give me any rolled coins they will not be able to make change.

Coin Star here charges 3-7% depending on the day. One bank will count it if I deposit it only. One credit union will only take it in rolls. Another credit union will take all I want, but it is 30 miles out of my way.

Bet we all have tales.

Do the cards coin star gives work ok?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:43 pm

The cards that I have received from CoinStar machines have all worked okay so far. Many are actually printed vouchers that the retailer accepts like a gift card. Some options are actual gift cards dispensed by the machine. The Starbucks option is an actual gift card from the machine as was the Albertsons gift card that is no longer an available option. I sure do miss being able walk into an Albertsons grocery store with a bag of zinc pennies for the CoinStar machine and walk out with a cart full of groceries.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:58 pm

I thought it was 9.8 everywhere. But found this from there site...

For the Coins to Cash™ service in the United States, we charge a 9.8% coin processing fee. Fees may vary by location. Some retailers or financial institutions may subsidize this fee. Free coin counting is available at most locations in the United States if you convert your coins to a nationally-branded gift card or eCertificate via the Coin to Card™ option.

It's 9.8 here in Tucson AZ
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mrlaufer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:16 am

I have three PNC banks within a 5 mile radius that have coin counters for free use to account holders. There is a $4 fee for accounts under $400/month. Non-account holders are charged 5% for dumping coin, but still cheaper than coinstar for the cash aspect.
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason-so you can listen twice as much as you speak.
Molon Labe
mrlaufer
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Not all of us are lucky enough to have even a bank that has a coin counter natch.

RichardPenny43 wrote:I got an email today from coinstar.
https://www.coinstar.com/NewPartners

Just thought I would share with those of you who use Coinstar. ;)

Yep, companies I either rarely go to, or won't go into for whatever reason. Great marketing strategy Coinstar!! *sarcasm*
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:25 am

I love stirring up the coinstar debate!
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:02 pm

I would never use coin star because I just roll my own and take them to the bank, but Staples, Red Robin, and IHOP all sound pretty good. And Bass Pro means you could turn pennies into ammo!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 pm

I use Coinstar for Amazon gift cards - I buy a ton of stuff there. I would be interested in a Bass Pro card.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Zincanator » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 am

I've noticed the companies listed for zero-fee gift vouchers are different depending on where I go... like at my Wal-Mart Coinstar there isn't much selection, but at the grocery store there are several screens to scroll through, including Amazon, iTunes, etc. Wonder wh
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cooyon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:56 am

Zincanator wrote:I've noticed the companies listed for zero-fee gift vouchers are different depending on where I go... like at my Wal-Mart Coinstar there isn't much selection, but at the grocery store there are several screens to scroll through, including Amazon, iTunes, etc. Wonder wh

Maybe Walmart doesn't want to encourage competition with other retailers :?:
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Madwest » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 pm

cooyon wrote:
Zincanator wrote:I've noticed the companies listed for zero-fee gift vouchers are different depending on where I go... like at my Wal-Mart Coinstar there isn't much selection, but at the grocery store there are several screens to scroll through, including Amazon, iTunes, etc. Wonder wh

Maybe Walmart doesn't want to encourage competition with other retailers :?:

Yup. Walmart has a strict no-competitive-presence policy. They even restrict what the Subway and McDonlads restaurants that are in the stores can give away. You won't see any options even remotely competitive to Walmart (no Sears, no Staples, no Amazon, no grocery, no Lowes, no Home Depot, etc).

I use Coinstar to dump occasionally. For me, it is always Fee-Free Amazon or Chili's. I have a lot of dump options with coin machines. I just feel like it is nice to give them a break every now and then.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 am

Wow, interesting, who knew.

I'd be so happy if CoinStar machines would spit out an actual "Gift Card" and not a receipt with redemption code. I'd save a s-load on Christmas and birthday gift cards I'm always buying for the extended family.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing