Obtaining pennies from banks...Tough

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Obtaining pennies from banks...Tough

Postby 8bluecrayon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:12 pm

I belong to a credit Union and it is like pulling teeth to get a $25.00 box of pennies. I have since joined another bank where I started a business account. The branch manager told me that they had to buy their pennies (price difference?) and that they could only do 1 box a month or so. Does anybody else have this problem with getting pennies from a bank. I even offered to prepay for they pennies. Let me know what I can do to get better results. Help.
My 2 cents...
8bluecrayon

Re: Obtaining pennies from banks...Tough

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:41 am

Just my experience.......... I call banks and request an order for two boxes of pennies. Most do not even ask if I have an account there. If they ask what I am getting the pennies for I told them I bought a big gun safe and read on the internet that pennies are heavy and good for weighing it down to prevent theft.

I did this to about fifty banks and returned about a month later. A couple asked about me coming back and I said I needed additional pennies to weigh my safe down. It worked for me..............
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:26 am

just keep looking at banks. (not credit unions). If you have an RCB around go there. I can get 20+ bags a week from mine. BoA is also good. I can get 10-20 boxes a week from them.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Tell banks you will take any CWR off their hands. It actually saves them money. My credit union will provide boxes of any coins any time I want and free of charge. They do have a minimum for each coin type. Minimum is 4 boxes for halves.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby DaMangRon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Bank of America is awesome. I do have several accounts with them...but the woman that orders the coins gets me as many boxes as i can handle. Just have to order them...deliveries come twice a week. I've also gotten boxes from td once in a while without them even asking about having an account....but their boxes really suck compared to boa. Too many people using td as a dump bank I guess.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Credit unions - good for dumping but not good for picking up coins. That has been my experience. Try a number of banks and branch locations to find which ones have boxes of coins available and which ones don't. The bigger well established branches with a lot of business accounts seem to be the ones where it is easiest to get boxes. I agree with some of the other comments that B of A is a great source.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:29 pm

I was picking up $500 -$800 a week loose in bags from a CU. They have coin machines in the lobby and sold me the bags every week. It has been a while but I'm sure that they will still sell me the bags. Keep looking and asking. I have had different branches tell me different things
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:28 am

Catfish4u wrote:If they ask what I am getting the pennies for I told them I bought a big gun safe and read on the internet that pennies are heavy and good for weighing it down to prevent theft.

Or if schools in session, just claim that your son/daughter/hellspawn/nephew/niece/whatever has "penny wars" at school and needs a few bricks to tip the scales into their grades favor.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 am

I would talk with all financial institutions in your area and see who can help. You would be surprised who might be able to help. Credit unions still have to order cash even though they may be smaller than most banks. Banks will order for business customers and ordering coin in large volumes is not unusual. Banks may charge for coin or require a business account and a credit unions may not.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Are you single?
If so, try dating a bank teller.
Or just flirt and joke around with them.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 am

Ask to buy bags from their counter. It saves them money, and you the trouble of unrolling.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 8bluecrayon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 am

RichardPenny43......I'm married, but have already tried the flirty thing.....my wife laughed. Anything to get pennies.
My 2 cents...
8bluecrayon

Postby coppernickel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 pm

More affluent areas use electronic funds.

Look for poor, immigrant, areas. They know coins. Better coins are found there too.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Personally I have had better luck with CU than banks. I have a CU that allows me to buy bags from their coin sorter and my bank which is Chase will order me all the boxes I want . I always do better with the bags that the boxes. One thing that helped me get things set up with the CU is I tyold them I sort pennies for the Grandlids which is true and I also told them I would not return any coins to their branches which costs them to send the coins out.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby millermaher2016 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:28 pm

I've had better luck with small banks (maybe 10-15 branches in the whole corporation) and have gotten much luckier with the branches in fairly rural locations. The rural locations call me when a big coin deposit comes in, and I always seem to get much older coins from them. (I have a theory that some folks are finding Grandpa's Mason jars in their yards while they are pulling weeds. But I live in a place that is highly populated with those who are distrustful of government, so they may just be hoarding and only making deposits when absolutely necessary.)
millermaher2016

Postby knibloe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:44 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:Are you single?
If so, try dating a bank teller.
Or just flirt and joke around with them.

Why would you have to be single?? :lol:
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing