So I walk into a coin shop...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

So I walk into a coin shop...

Postby DTEJD1997 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey all:

Boy am I steamed!

I walk into a local coin shop.

Guy has a small box of Indian Head pennies for sale at $1/piece. I ask what kind of deal I can get if I buy in bulk. He says how about $.95/coin. I laugh and say NO, I'm talking about buying the whole box or most of it...

He says OK wiseguy, $100. I think and look for a second and say OK, you've got a deal. I pull out a $100 bill to pay him. He starts sliding them into a bag and says, "There might be more than 100 here". I say OK.

He suddenly stops and says "there might be 150 in here". I say OK, we've got a deal. You told me $100, I accepted, I put a $100 bill on the counter. Meanwhile other people are filtering in the store.

He says NO DEAL. I promptly start arguing and raise my voice. His wife starts laughing and so do other people in the store. I argue that we have a deal, and then he decides to break it because he feels like or he has "sellers remorse". I loudly ask what kind of business is he running and if this is the way he does business. He says lets count them out and I'll cut you a deal. What kind of deal? $.80 a piece.

NO DEAL.

I pick up my money and walk out laughing.

I'm pretty angry as I've spent thousands in the store. See if he will EVER get any more business from me.

Anybody ever have something like this happen to them?
DTEJD1997
Penny Pincher Member

Re: So I walk into a coin shop...

Postby J_Dodge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 am

Not a coin shop incident, but in the late '80s, wifelet and I bought a new car from
a area dealer.

We ordered the car from the factory - gave the dealer a itemized list of options, etc. He arrived
at a price, we haggled, settled on the price. When the car arrived, we paid cash.

Dealer/salesman seemed pretty decent, so we decided to go back for service work. 3-4 weeks
after we took delivery, there was something wrong, so I took it in for service.

The dealer/salesman spots me in the showroom, and tells me that we owe him more money for
the vehicle, that we had a special "custom" paint job which wasn't covered by what
we paid.

Say what? I says. So we start discussing the issue - I basicly said/knew we had a factory
option for paint, that the option code for the paint was correct (being as the option code
showed on his copy of the invoice made it easy), and that the deal was done, paid in full.

The sales guys voice started to rise more and more the longer he argued, and people were
starting to gather. I just smiled and let him rant. The guy finally thinks to wonder why I
am smiling - no one was behind me, so he turned around - there was 10-12 people looking
on. He shut up and walked away.

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Re: So I walk into a coin shop...

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Well done!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing