Shipping Restrictions???

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Shipping Restrictions???

Postby Metaldog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 am

Hello everyone! I live in Canada and I have people in the U.S. interested in buying Canadian 999 nickels from me. However, I'm unsure if there is any law against shipping out Canadian coins across the border. Could anyone please clarify this with me? I understand this has to do with nickels and shipping, but I posted this here because of the high traffic on this forum. I'm sorry if I should have posted this somewhere else, I'm somewhat new. ;)

Thanks!
Metaldog
Metaldog

Re: Shipping Restrictions???

Postby Finder » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I did find this:

"Canada has stricter laws on its coins and the U.S. abides by them."

If that statement is true, the US doesnt allow export, so Canada wouldnt either.

But, I couldnt find anything more definitive or proven legit.
Thats not really enough to go on.

http://canadian-coins.org/since-the-met ... t-a-profit

Ive bought Canadian pennies on ebay but only from within the US.
I see sellers of Canadian nickels on Ebay, but only from within the US.

Someone else will know for sure. Thats what I found on a search.

If you find no answer here, the nickel board might be worth a try:

viewforum.php?f=8
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Metaldog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks Finder,

I have a feeling I wont be able to ship them out without something coming up. Thanks for the info!
Metaldog

Postby natsb88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but there are no laws against shipping nickels out of Canada. I get them all the time.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:32 pm

natsb88 wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but there are no laws against shipping nickels out of Canada. I get them all the time.

same here

ive got nicks out of canada multiple times - no problems
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Metaldog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Well then... I might just phone customs and see for sure - make sure there isn't a limit or anything as well.
Metaldog

Postby west77 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Please post and let us know what customs says. I have read the Canadian currency act in it's entirety now, and glanced at the criminal code of Canada, and have yet to find anything about taking coin out of country. I had thought that there was something that would prevent it, but just can not find it.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-52/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-52.html
west77

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 pm

I was looking for it a while back to see if this adventure might possibly work. I found nothing about taking Canadian coins out of Canada but there are limits about taking American coins out. As much as our government is trying to copy American laws they have not gotten that far.... yet.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 pm

I think I remember seeing something about a 10K at a time limit at one point. Not a problem for most of us. I know of members that used to go into Canada and bring out van loads of copper pennies on a regular basis with no problem. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Metaldog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Ya, I was talking with a few people and it seems like there is no problem shipping them at all. But I do believe you can't bring over $10,000 cash without questions being asked.

Just to sum it all up, people have been shipping coins over for years with no problems. So I guess my question has been answered! Haha

Thanks everyone for all the input!
Metaldog

Postby didou » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I think I remember seeing something about a 10K at a time limit at one point. Not a problem for most of us. I know of members that used to go into Canada and bring out van loads of copper pennies on a regular basis with no problem. :mrgreen:

There is a CAD$10K limit :
If you are entering or leaving Canada and are carrying $10,000 or more including any combination of coins, domestic or foreign bank notes, and securities, such as travellers cheques, stocks and bonds, you have to complete Form E677, Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - Individual. If the currency or monetary instruments that you are reporting are not your own, you will be required to complete Form E667, Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - General. You must complete the reporting form, sign it, and hand it to a customs officer at the nearest CBSA customs office that is open at the time you are travelling.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securit ... t-eng.html
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 pm

There is a similar US$10K reporting requirement imposed by the Americans on anyone entering or leaving the USA. Since we are near parity every cross border cash/cash equivalent transaction around $10K needs to be reported on both sides. The rule is not a big deal - you are welcome to transport cash - but be sure to report it and be able to explain why you are transporting cash. Buying a car is a good reason, collecting coins is a good reason, going on an expensive vacation is cool, but buying cocaine would be a bad reason.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing