English Large Cents? Worth it for .20 cents each?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

English Large Cents? Worth it for .20 cents each?

Postby winchester333 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I found a coin shop near me and he was selling world coins @ 5 for a dollar. He had a small box and I found these for 20 cents each.
He has several large shoe boxes full of world coins that he said I could sort through next week and I was wondering if these are worth buying at 5 for $1.00?

What's the copper value in an English large cent? Are they pure copper? Thanks for any info.

winchester333

Re: English Large Cents? Worth it for .20 cents each?

Postby jasmatk » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

pretty sure they are bronze I would buy them at that price they sell for more than that on ebay some of the older are worth a little.for a couple bucks id say buy them all look through the years when you get them home and see what you got worst case you could sell them as a lot and get your money back......I would also study a little on foreign silver this weekend so you will know what to look for when your going through those shoeboxes might be something better than copper in there.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 pm

British pennies from 1860-1922 are 9.4 grams and are 95% copper.
From 1926-1967 they are still 9.4 grams but are 95.5% copper.
With copper currently at around $4.30, that comes to about 8.5 cents worth of copper each. There are better dates throughout, but as with any world coin, their numismatic value always depends on whether you can get a buyer. That farthing is certainly worth more than 20 cents. Nice detail.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby winchester333 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:37 pm

The 1881 H Farthing is in great shape. I was happy to get it.
I think I'll keep buying these large cents when I come across them. I'll try and haggle with him for bulk prices.

winchester333

Postby TXBullion » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:38 pm

I was looking through junk and wondering myself today. Last tie they were 10 for a dollar with a whole bunch of the big pennys and I didnt take them. last night I pretty much did the uthminsta calculation and I figured for spot copper these would be great to buy and they moved them to another bn for 25cents. Still maybe not a bad deal but there was only a few
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 pm

The short answer is that it is worth it for some but maybe not all. Just like US coins they vary in price based on year, mintage, condition, etc.

For instance, 1919H in XF is $275.00 and a 1961 in VF is $0.10
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby flbandit » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:19 pm

I buy them from time to time, more because I like them than for copper value. I just got an 1861 Penny, and a 1746 half penny recently.
flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Don't dismiss the Cool Factor for these bigger coppers. How many coins (mostly in better condition) between 100-200 years old can be purchased for 10-20 cents each? I've started a date set I know I'll never be able to finish completely, but it's much cheaper, for example, than assembling a set (also virtually impossible on a pauper's budget) of Seated Liberty Dollars.

I had some spares that I gave out to the neighborhood kids I knew at Halloween. Cheaper than candy and easier on the teeth unless someone tries to bite 'em.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:33 pm

I will admit to having some of the British Large Cents, Australian Large Cents and Canadian Large Cents in the hoard for diversification.. and the coolness factor. I really like that farthing too. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am

I got a big bag of 100 uncirculated 1967 pennies for about £7 ($14) plus shipping which kinda doubled the price.

Nice coins - very good feel in the hand. Shame we moved to teh stinky new penny in 1971 which has zero charm.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby winchester333 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:01 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I will admit to having some of the British Large Cents, Australian Large Cents and Canadian Large Cents in the hoard for diversification.. and the coolness factor. I really like that farthing too. :mrgreen:

I listed that Farthing on ebay for $4 with free shipping to the USA. It's about as nice as they get.
winchester333

Postby Verbane » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 pm

uthminsta wrote:With copper currently at around $4.30, that comes to about 8.5 cents worth of copper each.

With the eroding of purchase "value" of the FRN, and copper on the rise (despite fluctuations), I'm buying large pennies (diversifying). Now i'm thinking long term, 5-10+ years, but at $.20 each from a local shop, thats not a bad price considering what Ebay lots go for plus shipping. You need to consider why your buying them and your time line. I think China will have the final word on copper and the new copper funds are only fueling the fire.

1 AVoz = 28.35g / 8.93g per large penny = 3 .17 large pennies per AVoz
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing