CH-268T coin comparator performance

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: CH-268T coin comparator performance

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:09 pm

I can only conclude from both my experience as well as what I've read from people that have bought these units from several sources that some of the units are just completely defective, and even of those that work some are better than others. My replacement unit isn't completely ideal, but it's functional.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 am

This thread, in hindsight, maybe should have been in the sorting machine section, so if a moderator wants to move it, find with me.

Follow-up...

I've sorted several boxes now. The problem with the "anti-string" feature remains. If there is a way to make that less sensitive, I don't know how. It primarily activates on whichever coin is the accept coin, so changing the accept coin to a zinc just makes mine act worse. As it sits, the anti-string feature rarely engages on the zincs, which are 80% of the coins, and that much is goodness. But on coppers (the accept coin) it engages randomly (it appears to me) about one-third of the time. Since I have one of the "older" units with a 3 second beep, and I get this beep about every 3rd copper, I will hear it about 3-4 times per roll. It is very bothersome after awhile, but is more than just annoying; it now has my dog completely crazy - she can't stand it. She now cowers in the bedroom, shivering, as far away from me as possible, and won't come out. :(
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:26 pm

This may well be a thread that few care about, but a further update.

The unit came (as did the first one it replaced) with the coin diameter setting set to wide open. I didn't think much about it, figuring it wasn't important for this usage, and while I did play with the setting I was having so many other troubles that it didn't seem to matter.

However, for this second unit, which is sorting fairly well, just beeping too much, it plays a big role in the anti-fishing feature, as it affects the path the coin takes into the unit. I reset the diameter to the minimum setting that would allow a penny in the unit (about 20 mm, or just under) and the beeping has gone down by a factor 3-4. I can now get some rolls fully through with no beeping! A huge productivity increase. Just did another box, at probably double the speed.

Still beeps too much, in my opinion, and the dog is still stressed. But it's much better.

What settings are others using? What are you using in your Ryedale Snipers, which have the same model comparitor?

(Oh - found two 43 steels in the last run - nice!)
68Camaro

Postby coinalyzer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm

I just want to let you guys know I'm working on a new model coinalyzer with out the anti string program. I should have some in a month ready to test.
coinalyzer

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Good luck on that, let us know how it goes.

This sounds a bit crazy even to me, I don't know the mechanism behind the anti-fishing feature, but it appears that cold coins (in combo with the proper coin diameter setting) further reduce the beeping. The last several boxes I've run were stored in my cold (relatlvely, low 40sF) garage vs. previous boxes that were stored inside. I quickly noticed very little beeping as I started sorting on a fresh, cold, box yesterday, but as the coins warmed up to room temperature it started increasing. Got the next, cold, box. Again, little beeping at start, increasing as they warmed. Today I just opened up what I could do in 10 minutes, and kept the balance cold until I was ready. Didn't eliminate all beeping, but made it more tolerable.
68Camaro

Postby tinhorn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Interesting observation on coin temperature.

It seems that my coins sort cleaner on their second pass. You may recall that I run them through two comparitors, the first one with a zinc planchet, then through a plastic tube through the comparitor with a copper penny. If I find copper in the first bin, I tighten it about one degree--I've pretty much eliminated copper waste now. Same with the second unit--if I find zinc, then I tighten it about one degree. My final reject bin is an assortment of copper and zinc, but when I run those a second time, they sort better, even though I still end up with a large pile to hand-sort. I wonder what the difference is between the first and second passes?

Feeding speed maybe? I was wondering today if my units--although they don't beep--may have antifishing functions also. It seems that if I start feeding them quickly, I hear a lot of them dropping into the final bin. (I can tell by the sound where a coin drops. Box, tube then box, or tube then tube then plastic wastebasket.)
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:29 pm

I ordered my unit from coinalyzer a couple of weeks ago and finally built a stand for it yesterday morning. While watching basketball yesterday I ran a 2 gallon jar of cents through it that had been sitting at my parents for as long as I can remember (talk about a great percentage.!!) Ended up with about 2,000 coppers and I checked them all for dates except for a couple of hundred I still have left to do (a few holes to fill in the album still).

It's at exactly 100% with No Zincs in the copper tub at all. I pulled a few out of the zinc tub that had that "copper look" but didn't find any coppers mixed with the zincs. I couldn't be happier with my unit. No issues with beeping or anything either. Going to look for an ammo can to start filling and plan to feel out my local bank to start picking up a box a week to start out. My daughter is probably going do deal with dumping for me in exchange for Itunes cards (when I really don't need the $$ back)
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:49 pm

That's amazing. With a machine that smooth, you may want to start looking for coffee cans and plastic jugs, too. And save those boxes!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

For the record Im still using mine and getting well over a 99% accuracy.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coinalyzer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:19 pm

It's strange how some people have problems and others do not. some of you guys with problems may want to try to run the unit on a line filter( not a surge protector). perhaps there is noise or some kind of electrical interference on your homes power system. Just a thought.
coinalyzer

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Dunno, but I continued my temp experiment.

Ran a random set of coppers at room temperature, got about 5 beeps in the 50; one in ten.

Ran a similar sized set of zinc, no beeps.

Re-ran the coppers. Still about 5 beeps.

Froze the coppers down to 0F, ran them. No beeps. It was a bit of overkill as they started to condense moisture on them when they were back out at room temparture. Still, the colder they are, the better they seem to do.

Weird.
68Camaro

Postby Finder » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 am

yeah it irritates me to find coins in the wrong bin too. just yesterday i found a wheat in the zinc pile.
now I look them over always before dumping them into the final zinc dump pile.
because i look for 2009s anyway, any exceptional toned penny, or obvious error.
by now i can spot copper just by looking at the pile usually.
sometimes ill run a few through again that look likely.
more often than not my machine was right, but it does make mistakes.
if there was a 100% accurate machine I would probably buy it.
the idea of a key date wheat making it into my zinc pile is the # 1 one fear.
a few coppers out of hundreds doesnt bother me as much.

sorry the machine failed you, good luck with whatever method you decide on.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 am

I got mine today. I found that it's important that the coin is feed in the machine exactly the same way every time. i built something to feed mine using an old coin counter and hot wheel track. Little bit of hot glue, a old shoe box, and I had mine sorting in little over an hour.

Only adjustment I made was to narrow up the coin hole selector size thing mig bob. Got my hotwheel track narrowed down where it shoots the coin right in the slot.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby tn-dave » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:30 am

VWBEAMER wrote:I got mine today. I found that it's important that the coin is feed in the machine exactly the same way every time. i built something to feed mine using an old coin counter and hot wheel track. Little bit of hot glue, a old shoe box, and I had mine sorting in little over an hour.

Only adjustment I made was to narrow up the coin hole selector size thing mig bob. Got my hotwheel track narrowed down where it shoots the coin right in the slot.

I would love to see some pictures of the hotwheel track feed ramp.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

Ditto. Would love to see some details!

I too believe it is sensitive to the feed (at least some units are, including mine), and my "best" at hand-feeding isn't good enough to keep the anti-fishing feature from causing me an issue.

If I can get some ideas from what you've done to make an easy change/addition to my setup, that would be great. I don't yet have the time/ energy/ motivation to create an elaborate feeding mechanism as others have done. (Though I admire what they've done!)
68Camaro

Postby coinalyzer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

Finder wrote:yeah it irritates me to find coins in the wrong bin too. just yesterday i found a wheat in the zinc pile.
now I look them over always before dumping them into the final zinc dump pile.
because i look for 2009s anyway, any exceptional toned penny, or obvious error.
by now i can spot copper just by looking at the pile usually.
sometimes ill run a few through again that look likely.
more often than not my machine was right, but it does make mistakes.
if there was a 100% accurate machine I would probably buy it.
the idea of a key date wheat making it into my zinc pile is the # 1 one fear.
a few coppers out of hundreds doesnt bother me as much.

sorry the machine failed you, good luck with whatever method you decide on.

Some of the older wheat's have a different metal composition WWII era coins used recycled brass shell castings 1944–1946 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc not exact) 1864–1942 1946–1962 are bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc) then 1962–1982 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) These different compositions may be difficult for the sorter to identify.
coinalyzer

Postby Finder » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Interesting info, thanks.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Here the pictures of my CH-268T setup. Just something I made, later I'm going to feed it with a Flow hopper.

I put the thread in the equipment section so as not to completly hi Jack this thread.

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3625
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing