PM from NPR about pennys

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

PM from NPR about pennys

Postby J_Dodge » Mon May 12, 2014 10:45 am

Got the following PM from NPR - any of you want to volunteer?

I have no idea why I got picked, or why - or possibly she sent one of these
to every one here.....beats me....

JD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NPR request re: penny show
Sent: Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 am
To: J_Dodge

Hi J_Dodge: I'm an economics reporter with a show called Planet Money. This week, we're working on a show about what pennies are worth. I'm looking for anyone who has a bunch of pre-1982 pennies. I thought I might find someone here: and it looks like you are that guy. If you might be open to speaking with me (about pennies only!), please let me know. I'd be grateful to give you a call today.
If not you, perhaps you know someone who would be open to it?
Please respond here: zchace@npr.org.
Thanks so much:
Zoe Chace
npr.org/money
212 880 3452 (office)
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Re: PM from NPR about pennys

Postby Verbane » Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 am

J_Dodge wrote:Got the following PM from NPR - any of you want to volunteer?

JD

Hi J_Dodge: I'm an economics reporter with a show called Planet Money. This week, we're working on a show about what pennies are worth. I'm looking for anyone who has a bunch of pre-1982 pennies. I thought I might find someone here: and it looks like you are that guy. If you might be open to speaking with me (about pennies only!), please let me know. I'd be grateful to give you a call today.
Thanks so much:
Zoe Chace
npr.org/money
212 880 3452 (office)

h91DC1C6D.jpg
h91DC1C6D.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

All kidding aside, perhaps we should invite zchace to introduce herself here: http://realcent.org/viewforum.php?f=49
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 am

I have the same message. Interpret as you will. I offered to talk for my standard daily consulting fee of $1000. Hope I hear crickets.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Verbane » Mon May 12, 2014 11:16 am

schiller_vivian.jpg
schiller_vivian.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

We have only contacted forum members with this many pennies.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby zchace » Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 pm

I just searched through some of the threads and picked people that seemed like good candidates. Are you a good candidate?!
also, thanks for the re-post, I appreciate it. I don't know much about the proper etiquette on these forums, so, thank you for helping me with it.
-Zoe: zchace@npr.org
zchace

Postby NHsorter » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm

Zoe, I have Verbanes name and address, If you want to forward it to Lois Lerner :lol:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Mon May 12, 2014 2:36 pm

zchace wrote:I just searched through some of the threads and picked people that seemed like good candidates. Are you a good candidate?!
also, thanks for the re-post, I appreciate it. I don't know much about the proper etiquette on these forums, so, thank you for helping me with it.
-Zoe: zchace@npr.org

Well that was passive aggressive.

Zoe,
Now that you have come out of the shadows, let me welcome you to Realcent! We are multinational, though the majority of our members are residents of the US and Canada. We are Men and Women, ages 12 to 80+. We are coin collectors and metal investors (not necessarily both) trying to hedge against the diminishing buying power of the dollar and all Fiat Currencies. We are concerned with government spending, though we don't all agree on the solution. We are diverse.

Gresham's Law is the place to start. I would hope you are already familiar with this law as a money reporter, as it handily explains the value of our beloved pennies, and why we pull them from circulation.

As a group we have been approached by the media before, largely the interactions have been positive, though sometimes our endeavors are not reported in the best light. Due to the nature of our hobby, trust is of utmost importance, and a lot of effort has been expended to individually cultivate that between members. The accumulating assets of our efforts require operational security at all times. One recent national television report gave the full name, town and state of a member, then proceeded to tell the entire country where on his property several pails of coins could be found. That is unacceptable.

Since your contact information is posted above, if anyone wants to contact you, I am sure they will. There are members who enjoy working as ambassadors in the effort to educate the self entitled masses.

Thanks,
-Verbane-
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Mon May 12, 2014 2:42 pm

NHsorter wrote:Zoe, I have Verbanes name and address, If you want to forward it to Lois Lerner :lol:

:lol:

Yea ok.... My initial posts have to do with my distrust of government agencies, CIA, FBI, TSA, NSA, NPR. I realize the Schiller caption should have read this way:

schiller_vivian.jpg
schiller_vivian.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

"We only need this much Federal Money this year to continue competing with private radio"
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:15 pm

J_Dodge wrote:Got the following PM from NPR - any of you want to volunteer?

JD

Thanks so much:
Zoe Chace
npr.org/money
212 880 3452 (office)

She is doing her job and polling the group at random. :thumbup:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum....I was the admin who officially let you in the door. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm. However note that there have been quite a few news agencies asking for interviews over the years.

ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/laws-cha ... d=15076522

Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/hoarding-nickel ... soar-67629

Also, if my memory serves me right there was even an inquiry from a news organization from Japan! And more....
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyPauper » Tue May 13, 2014 9:04 pm

A nice title could be Coin-intelpro.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Dear Zoe,

If you are really interested, then you should go to the bank and buy a box of cents. It will only cost $25. Sort through them yourself. Pick out the copper (1958-1981) and the zinc (1983-date) and the 1982's (some are copper, some are zinc), and the pre-1958 wheat cents... tell us your percentages. Extrapolate the numbers to determine the market profit potential for copper cents if melted, and you will understand for yourself, without asking us any questions, why this place (realcent) exists.

You might find this 2010 reference somewhat useful: http://marketharmony.net/uploads/pennie ... lation.pdf

If you are looking to sell commercial time on a radio network, then you'll miss that one rare career opportunity for the accounting of something of true gritty substance. Something, upon fruition, you'll be able to reference to anyone needing credentials and raise eyebrows. You've stumbled upon visionaries.

Join in the discussion and you'll reap a well rounded and informed life. Skim posts and harvest feedback and you'll but only sniff enough to piece together a blurb about copper penny hoarding. But if you lock in to the characters here, involve yourself in the discussion, harvest copper cents from circulation, buy/sell/trade with others on your word alone, then maybe you'll REALLY have something to tell the world. We all call this place "home" in one way or another. Feel free to kick up your feet.

Enjoy your day,

Mike
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby kiwiman » Wed May 14, 2014 11:41 am

She even made a post in the r/crh, r/copperhoarders, and r/coins on reddit. How many interviewees do you need?
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm

It's like fishing. The more poles you put out the better your chance of catching what you want.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 pm

johnbrickner wrote:It's like fishing. The more poles you put out the better your chance of catching what you want.

Then you can keep what fits your agenda, and toss the others back... :roll:
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:53 pm

I received a PM from Zoe on the 12th. I didn't respond. I won't speak with Journalists. I've never had a good experience with the media. I've been misquoted before (I think intentionally to create a more sensational story).

Funny story, I had a continuing education class for a license recently, and they gave the results of a survey of American professions based on honesty/ethics. Journalists ranked 10th out of 21 professions, right ahead of bankers. Out of 100 class attendees that day, all 100 were stunned journalists ranked even that high! The survey in our class had them ranked in the bottom 10% with car salesman, telemarketers, members of congress, and lobbyists! :lol:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby amalekidad » Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 pm

‘IF’ Zoe is really a good writer, I want to see
RealCent the Novel
Chapter Titles:
Country, the Powers that Be, and the Moderators (an ‘Au’ rock group)
Greshem and the Law
Mr Rydaye
HCBTT – Hoard Copper by the Ton
Henry Smedforth & Son
Is Market Harmony possible?
Why do we all Love/Hate Thogey’s Widow?
Bows and Arrows (Beauanderos) and the Philosopher’s Coin
Adam Youngs, Super Hero
Johnny Flyfish, where are you?
It’s all Good with the ScrapMan
Will Jonas Ever Make it to College?
Shinn-o-suke, is that Japanese for Cu?
Does Barry have the Trots?
TX-Bullion is Black Gold, but the East is Slick
Silver is not an AGgressive Metal
I Pity the Fool that Meets John Doe
Don’t You Want to be a Copper Catcher Too?
Shake, Shake, Shake, Sheikh Yer Bu’Tay
Numis Pam & Red Rock Girl, Sister Act

;)
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Fri May 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Oh man, I didn't make the list! Perhaps i could chart some useful nerd-data for the appendix.
uthminsta

Postby johnbrickner » Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 am

We have some extremely creative people here! :)
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sat May 17, 2014 12:27 pm

amalekidad wrote:Bows and Arrows (Beauanderos)

Never got that until now.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Link to the story.
Zoe's part starts about 8 minutes in.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/05/ ... enny-worth
There's even this guy out in Portland....
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat May 17, 2014 3:10 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:Link to the story.
Zoe's part starts about 8 minutes in.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/05/ ... enny-worth
There's even this guy out in Portland....

So when they got to that part my son Franklin yells out is that Adam Young. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Sat May 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Let's check the timeline, shall we?
her Realcent user profile wrote:Viewing profile - zchace
Last visited: Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 am
Total posts: 2

Planet Money webpage wrote:Planet Money Episode 539: What's A Penny Worth? May 16, 2014 9:48 PM ET

Well, that's about the size of it. A gal like her, story investigator / interviewer that she is... I wonder what the chances are, of her actually seeing the value of this copper "mining" endeavor, rather than just putting the time into research, gaining a perfunctory understanding of why some people do it, getting the story done, shrugging and moving on to the next story. I don't mean to disparage her, just know it's very unlikely she will ingest any of the truth or reasoning from what she discovered. Right?

Oh, and for those two big words up there... here you go...
https://www.google.com/search?q=perfunctory
https://www.google.com/search?q=disparage
uthminsta

Postby blackrabbit » Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Too bad they did not mention realcent. Good program though. Yep, I am one of those betting that the penny will be gone within a few years.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Sat May 17, 2014 11:33 pm

If the USA stops minting, do you think they will employ a reclaiming program like Canada has? Additionally, do you think they will "lift the melt ban," so to speak? And if those two scenarios play out, do you think there will then be a wider market for them, at a level closer to their spot price?
uthminsta

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing