Blank planchett???

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Blank planchett???

Postby Legend76 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:11 am

Hello all! Just registered on the forum a few hours ago. I have been on TNET for almost a year. This forum has some good info!

My question is, while handsorting some cents earlier, I found what appears to be a blank planchett. How can I verify this and are they worth anything at all? I would post a pic, but would have a hard time figuring out how. Thanks,
Legend
Legend76

Re: Blank planchett???

Postby PennyPauper » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:40 am

Welcome! Blanks are usually had for a buck or less.Copper ones are better than zinc.Does it have a raised rim? A planchet technically has been cleaned and annealed and a raised rim,ready for striking.A blank is just a disc of metal.Thats according to my cherrypickers guide. How long have you been handsorting? Whats your best find so far? You saving the coppers or just saving wheats and other neat finds? Again welcome to the forum,you have found a very unique site.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:27 am

Legend76 wrote:Hello all! Just registered on the forum a few hours ago. I have been on TNET for almost a year. This forum has some good info!

My question is, while handsorting some cents earlier, I found what appears to be a blank planchett. How can I verify this and are they worth anything at all? I would post a pic, but would have a hard time figuring out how. Thanks,
Legend

The mint gives them to school kids see http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1876&p=16304&hilit=mint+school#p16304 I did not know this until I read it on realcent.org. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 pm

PennyPauper wrote:A planchet technically has been cleaned and annealed and a raised rim,ready for striking.A blank is just a disc of metal.

Good to know the distinction. Thanks. And welcome, LEGEND76!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Legend76 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks for the replies, info and warm welcomes.

What I found does have a raised rim. So I'm guessing it's a blank planchett. It looks just like the pic in the thread that henrysmedford provided the link for.
Pauper: I have been sorting cents for only a few months (I've done 10-12 boxes and $25 CWR). I'm saving the copper, wheats and Canadians. I found an 1887 IH. I'm averaging around 10 wheats/box, but haven't found any key dates. I have found (2) 1920, a 1929, 1930, 1937 (2), 1938 and a 1935-D. Most are 1940's and 50's. AVG around 23-24% Cu. I have also searched a few half boxes (best had 17 keepers, 3 of which were 90%).

Legend
Legend76

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing