how much green is too much?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

how much green is too much?

Postby DaMangRon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:23 am

When you guys are sorting copper how much corrosion must there be on a coin for it to be separated and placed in the ugly Abe pile?

If there is just a dot of green on an otherwise nice clean copper penny does it go with the copper or uglies?

I just want to make sure I am storing correctly, thanks for the input.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Re: how much green is too much?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm sure there are as many standards as people and mine evolved, but they evolved to zero tolerance. The only variation I accept in the good pile is color/stable tarnish. No destructive corrosion, no dirt/grime.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:57 pm

I apply the same standard as 68camaro, when I bother to sort. Most of mine are intended for the melt furnace which could care less, but than I am in Canada where the cent is no more.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 am

To the above I can only add the same. No tolerance for verdigris. Three piles: One for the BU/AU+, one for the rest of the keepers, one for the melt. Any green = melt.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby DaMangRon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks for the replies...I really appreciate it.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby realhumancopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 am

Hi, I like the idea of the melt. Do you add in other sources of copper to the mix? Here in San Diego the coins have gotten so bad: from the last 40 boxes I got 4 boxes of green, bent and clipped, coins so worn they had holes in them, etc. Any advice? thanks........h
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing