Saving boxes of unsorted cents not such a bad idea after all

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Saving boxes of unsorted cents not such a bad idea after all

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:26 am

I first got started searching for copper in boxes of cents back in the summer of 2011. After a few months I got to the point where I was picking up way more coins than I could hand sort. So I just started stacking the unopened boxes and stashing unsearched customer wrapped rolls in the empty boxes left over from the sorting I was doing. Within a year I moved to a new home and hauled at least $1,000 in unsearched cents from point A to point B. That was in addition to the copper hoard that I was starting to build up by that time. The big pile of unsearched boxes at the old place became a big pile of unsearched boxes at the new place with even more junk piling up on top. Every once in a while I would dig out a box from the pile to sort but for the most part I kept up my penny sorting hobby by picking up new batches of coins.

My copper percentages have been declining the last couple of years. The last three boxes I have picked up have come in at 15.96%, followed by 15.32%, and then 15.00%. I'm probably at a point beyond where many here would have given up on searching for copper. With percentages like this it was time to dig into the old pile this weekend in search of a higher yield. I started with a box full of CWRs for 18.88%. Then came a sealed box of BWRs for 18.80%. I rounded it out with another box full of CWRs for 18.04%. Rolling the clock back to late 2011 when I picked up all of those coins helped bump my yield by three percentage points. But it gets better than that...

I haven't found an Indian head penny in over two years. What did I find in a roll near the end of the third box today? A 1896 Indian! :D I've had it in the pile all this time and didn't even know it until I found it today.

Edit to add photo

1896 Indian.jpg
1896 Indian.jpg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Saving boxes of unsorted cents not such a bad idea after

Postby DaMangRon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:56 am

Nice find! I guess I'm pretty lucky here on the east coast, i average close to 30% copper, although I have only found 1 IH. I have found 3 1909 vdb ' s though :) some day I'll find another one....just with the S mint mark.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby spacemanX » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:06 am

congrats. nice to find one. it makes my day!!!
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Purdy
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Will my unsorted boxes of canadian pennies turn to higher copper %? Can't buy Canadian pennis now so they are all I have (except all the copper of course).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:34 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Will my unsorted boxes of canadian pennies turn to higher copper %? Can't buy Canadian pennis now so they are all I have (except all the copper of course).

Hmmm. Maybe we should let our boxes age longer. Ten years from now those boxes may look like a goldmine.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 am

Wheats are worth 3-4 cents, so even the modern coins should be worth something extra someday after I am dead. However, non-silver Canadian dollar pre -loonie are an oddity but don't sell for a premium at all.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby kiwiman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Hey, every $100 in pennies that are 25% copper is $91.09 worth of metal
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

I am a big fan of keeping a small stock of unsorted cents on hand for those days when you can't get to the bank or for when they are no longer available. The sooner you put them in your stock, the higher the copper percentage will be. :mrgreen:

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:44 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I am a big fan of keeping a small stock of unsorted cents on hand for those days when you can't get to the bank or for when they are no longer available. The sooner you put them in your stock, the higher the copper percentage will be. :mrgreen:

WELCOME Back!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:07 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I am a big fan of keeping a small stock of unsorted cents on hand for those days when you can't get to the bank or for when they are no longer available. The sooner you put them in your stock, the higher the copper percentage will be. :mrgreen:

:shock: I'm drooling at the mouth
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 pm

One can never have too many unsorted boxes of cents. :mrgreen:

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby J_Dodge » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:06 am

Holy Mollie! That's a stash.

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Postby FatherRosado » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm

wow,
I was struggling carrying a box of nickels lol.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing