Coins from Fountains

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coins from Fountains

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 pm

I've entered into an arrangement where i'm gonna be getting coins from operators of Fountains. Anyone had any experiences with these sources? Pitfalls, problems, win-win situations?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Coins from Fountains

Postby slickeast » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:50 pm

They should be very nasty. Might not want to run them in the ryedale
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Do you get them for a discount?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Do you get them for a discount?

Doing it in exchange for some "Favors." You scratch my back, I scratch yours....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 pm

INTERESTING!!!!!.... I've often wondered about whats in those fountains. Post some of your findings! Good luck!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm

slickeast wrote:They should be very nasty. Might not want to run them in the ryedale

I know already i'm gonna need cleaning supplies.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm

hoarding wishes?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm

I helped Habitat For Humanity twice. They have 2 fountains and over a weekend they gather the contents every 3-4 months or when full. I literally had buckets full of coins to go through.

I had the list of found oddities somewhere on the old forum. I found all kinds of stuff from bubble gum to a ring (non-PM) to tokens and other kinds of pocket travelers. For the most part, the coins were fine... not corroded or otherwise unsortable. The coins that were stuck to the bubble gum were few.

I did find a few silver coins, no gold, and nothing of numismatic interest. The handful of tokens and foreign were auctioned off on realcent and the proceeds given back to HFH. I sorted for coppers and got about average at the time (~26-28%). I turned all the coins to the free bank counter and gave proceeds + 5% to HFH.

Overall, it was work more than anything else. But it was worth it.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Market Harmony wrote:I helped Habitat For Humanity twice. They have 2 fountains and over a weekend they gather the contents every 3-4 months or when full. I literally had buckets full of coins to go through.

I had the list of found oddities somewhere on the old forum. I found all kinds of stuff from bubble gum to a ring (non-PM) to tokens and other kinds of pocket travelers. For the most part, the coins were fine... not corroded or otherwise unsortable. The coins that were stuck to the bubble gum were few.

I did find a few silver coins, no gold, and nothing of numismatic interest. The handful of tokens and foreign were auctioned off on realcent and the proceeds given back to HFH. I sorted for coppers and got about average at the time (~26-28%). I turned all the coins to the free bank counter and gave proceeds + 5% to HFH.

Overall, it was work more than anything else. But it was worth it.

Cool story and for a good cause. Nice to here that the coins were not damaged from the swim.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Shrewd 1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Pick up a Portable Cement Mixer with poly a drum. Let them mix in there with some cleaner for a little awhile.
Shrewd 1

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Ah.. Pond Pennies!

I like idea MH had of turning them in at the Bank's coin counter instead of using your own. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing