How do you separate the ugly Abe's?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How do you separate the ugly Abe's?

Postby DaMangRon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:12 pm

So I'm sorting with the ryedale and I have been hand sorting the copper to pull out the ugly abes. I just took 2 square pieces of plexiglass and put velcro around 3 edges. Throw a bunch of copper on one piece pull all the green that I can see...then put the 2nd piece on top (held in place by the velcro) and flip. Pull off the top piece and pull any green copper. Then the remaining clean copper can be poured into the bucket.

It's a lot faster than grabbing fistfuls at a time and looking at 1 coin at a time.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Re: How do you separate the ugly Abe's?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 pm

That's basically what I do - but it doesn't have to be see through like plexiglass. Heavy cardboard or masonite can work as well. I have an edge on mine that overlaps. Basically a large thin box with a separate lid. Put them into one half and shake until they nestle one deep. Pull out the dirties. Put the lid on and flip then repeat.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How do you separate the ugly Abe's?

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:03 pm

I run the zinc sort first, then during the final copper sort I pull the Ugglie's out as they drop, and switch out the tub periodically, re-rooting thru the tubs a second and final time before adding them to the final storage containers. Ugglie's go in their own separate container.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing