Who rolls the coins you get?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Who rolls the coins you get?

Postby coppernickel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Recently all the coins available from the bank now read, LOOMIS.

Rarely can I get any in the plastic enabled rolls. The banks around here refuse to take rolls so customer wrapped rolls are VERY rare anymore.

When I restarted a few months ago, the averages I was getting was about 10%. The last run of $50 netted 47¢ total, and the last few have been about that.

I am wondering if I have cleared all copper from the region? Is that even possible?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Who rolls the coins you get?

Postby silverflake » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Loomis loomis loomis. That's all I have been getting here in S.W. Virginia. And somebody at Loomis is a clown. The rolls are almost all brand, spanking new 2014 cents. But when I broke open the last batch I got, each roll had 49 2014's and 1 other non-2014. Come on! Can't even pass them off as full B.U. rolls! Gang, I smell the end of the cent. Copper is hard to come by now. Actually, pennies are hard to come by. Sigh....

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby LooseChange » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:17 pm

coppernickel wrote:Recently all the coins available from the bank now read, LOOMIS.
Rarely can I get any in the plastic enabled rolls. The banks around here refuse to take rolls so customer wrapped rolls are VERY rare anymore.
When I restarted a few months ago, the averages I was getting was about 10%. The last run of $50 netted 47¢ total, and the last few have been about that.
I am wondering if I have cleared all copper from the region? Is that even possible?

Banks around here that don't have a counter will only take rolled coin. I was told "they have to accept it"
As far as clearing out a region, I guess its possible, but I wouldn't think it's likely. It's probably a combination of you, other sorters, and all the new zincs. This coupled with the existing low percentages, 10% really isn't all that far from zero. (10% to 0% is a much bigger drop than 30% to 20%) if you know what I mean.

My Experience:
I took a 2 month break from sorting this spring, when I came back to the bank, all they had were Loomis boxes (Southeast US). I found one branch way out that gave me 2 boxes (1 Loomis and 1 String). Besides that one string box, for the last 2 months or so its been 100% Loomis.

In comparison against the String boxes, I have found the Loomis rolls much harder to break open (Waiting for HCBTT's RC 5000 comment). With string rolls, you smack 2 together and the both break in the center and all is well. With Loomis that method lasted 2 seconds and now I'm ripping off each end with pliers. Also no Peekaboo holes so you can't do a swap on the spot for all zincs unless you open each box right there.
Also with Loomis (Which never happened with any of my string boxes) I have found 3 dimes and 2 silver foreign.

Copper Percentages:
String Boxes 2014 (22.9%)
Loomis Boxes 2014 smaller sample size (22.4%) *Not significantly different, also need more data points

My opinion overall echos what silverflake said. Keep stacking (Even if it's unsorted cents) I'm going to go full steam ahead until all the banks cut me off. I ran into my first sourcing issues about a month ago (about 5 branches and got $40 total) and ever since I have been trying to "stock up". No only get while the gettings good, but get while you still can get at all. Good luck folks.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppernickel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:10 pm

That is interesting.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:39 am

silverflake wrote:! Gang, I smell the end of the cent. Copper is hard to come by now. Actually, pennies are hard to come by. Sigh....

Keep stacking.

Try in Canada where you simply can't buy them.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:55 am

In comparison against the String boxes, I have found the Loomis rolls much harder to break open (Waiting for HCBTT's RC 5000 comment). With string rolls, you smack 2 together and the both break in the center and all is well. With Loomis that method lasted 2 seconds and now I'm ripping off each end with pliers. Also no Peekaboo holes so you can't do a swap on the spot for all zincs unless you open each box right there.

It is a Rollcracker 1000.. not a 5000! Every year I ask for one.. and every year Santa doesn't bring it. I don't know if it is cause I ain't been good enough, or the elfs refuse to build one of these contraptions.

My opinion overall echos what silverflake said. Keep stacking (Even if it's unsorted cents) I'm going to go full steam ahead until all the banks cut me off. I ran into my first sourcing issues about a month ago (about 5 branches and got $40 total) and ever since I have been trying to "stock up". No only get while the gettings good, but get while you still can get at all. Good luck folks.[/quote]
I like the stacking advise. A guy can never have too many cents stacked up. Fortunately I still get a lot of CWR at my banks. Picked up about 500 rolls in the last week. I have noticed that the sealed boxes I get are predominantly Loomis now, from several different bank sources. Maybe they aggressively priced their coin service to achieve market penetration. The rolls seem pretty tightly rolled.. much like rolls out of the HCBTT Penny Processing center. Opening is not really a problem though.,,. since the main workbench in the processing center is quarter inch plate steel.. so I just crack them like eggs on the edge. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

coppernickel wrote:Recently all the coins available from the bank now read, LOOMIS.

Where are you located?

The reason for the change is because NF Strings lost all of their major contracts with the armored companies. Loomis now mostly does their own wrapping. Ty my knowledge NF strings still wraps the dollar coins for the mint, but that is about it.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 am

String is alive and well in Connecticut. TD is still carrying them.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby baggerman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 pm

I quit buying boxes a long time ago because they were all switched to Loomis and very little copper. I get CWR at my bank and buy bags off the coin sorters from my credit union,
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 pm

coppernickel wrote:I am wondering if I have cleared all copper from the region? Is that even possible?

Maybe not, but anytime people "remove" coins from an area, the banks need to "compensate" for this, and when they go to order coin, the Fed pulls coin from the vaults, and then that goes to the armoured car guys, who then deliver it to the banks, and then banks pass that to the end user.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Umm....that would be LOOMIS!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing