do banks have or can they get presidential dollars?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

do banks have or can they get presidential dollars?

Postby 97guns » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm

just wondering, i got one in the mail today and wiki'd them to find out theyre 88% cu .
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: do banks have or can they get presidential dollars?

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm

some banks have them available as they come out

not ideal to hoard for metal value because of the high face value

best way to get large quantities is surprisingly through the mint

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ifier=8100
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:26 pm

Picked up a 1k unopened box or aves a few weeks back
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Joogaler » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am

aloneibreak wrote:some banks have them available as they come out

Best thing about ordering from the mint is that you get them for FV shipped!
Alot of people order them so they can get the rewards with their credit cards.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 am

Joogaler wrote:
aloneibreak wrote:some banks have them available as they come out

Best thing about ordering from the mint is that you get them for FV shipped!
Alot of people order them so they can get the rewards with their credit cards.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/%24 ... directShip

The intended purpose of the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is to make $1 coins readily available to the public, at no additional cost, so they can be easily introduced into circulation—particularly by using them for retail transactions, vending, and mass transit. Increased circulation of $1 coins saves the Nation money. The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/buying- ... d-rewards/

If You Were Thinking of Trying This…
While reading this post, I bet some of you were thinking it sounds like a good idea! (Off the record, I might have thought the same thing today when I found out about this too, ha!) However as it turns out, this “deal” no longer works. The mint has now changed its billing so these coin purchases are counted as cash advances instead of purchases. A credit card cash advance doesn’t earn rewards and the interest usually starts accumulating immediately from the time of purchase. So if you were thinking about doing this, think again ;)
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Joogaler » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 am

Oh ok, didn't know that. How dare people take advantage of the US government like that...

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby 97guns » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:59 am

so im guessing you guys have some of these, are they worth getting?

i have a sizable amount of fiat dollars that i should convert into something, just wondering if i should get some of these or just keep stacking nickels silver and gold.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Crescendo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 am

The presidential dollar coins ($1000 per box ordered) can easily be ordered through a bank branch. Done correctly, easy to get without any fees if you don't mind circulated.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 am

Presidentail dollars are still considered "commerative" coin so yes the banks should be able to order them for you from their armored. Most likely you will only be able to get the latest ones though.

97guns: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! Do NOT convert all your FRN into these worthless coins. There are TONS of all of the dollars coins. 88% of the presidentail dollars minted are sitting in FED inventories across the country. Only some 12% stay circulating. Also there melt value is way below $1. Buy silver, gold, copper, heck almost anything else before you buy these :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 97guns » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 am

10-4

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Crescendo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 am

Also, this may be a bit silly, but if you're just trying to pick up some every now and then without going out of your way at all, when you go to your grocery store (higher volume ones), ask the customer service people if they could save them/give them to you when you come by to buy your food. They hate having them, and apparently it is a really big pain for them to ship them out via their courier service.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Roger... Do not buy them for Bullion.... If you just want a collection of them (I do it) ... buy the proof mint set from the mint for like 9 bucks.

Coinflation...$0.0748859 is the melt value for the 2007-2011 Presidential golden dollar on January 28, 2011.

So that would be getting 7 cents worth of metal for $1.00
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:00 pm

If You Were Thinking of Trying This…
While reading this post, I bet some of you were thinking it sounds like a good idea! (Off the record, I might have thought the same thing today when I found out about this too, ha!) However as it turns out, this “deal” no longer works. The mint has now changed its billing so these coin purchases are counted as cash advances instead of purchases. A credit card cash advance doesn’t earn rewards and the interest usually starts accumulating immediately from the time of purchase. So if you were thinking about doing this, think again ;)

Wrong on this one - the "Deal" works.

Charges as a regular charge, earns points. At least on my card. And no fee...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:42 pm

68Camaro wrote:Wrong on this one - the "Deal" works.

Charges as a regular charge, earns points. At least on my card. And no fee...

IIRC, the US mint has told many of the CC companies about this, so enjoy it while you can.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Maybe, but according to the US Mint site, to deal with the issue they have instead simply limited the number of orders one can place in a month. They would not be able to charge it as a cash advance without some advance warning, which they do not do.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby bankmining » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Almost all the banks I go to while half searching have lots of the presidential dollars, in fact over half the time they try to convince me to buy some to get them off their hands and I always decline.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Funny story.... I lived in american samoa for 2 years... got back to the mainland a few monts ago... any way.... my name is John Adams... I had 500 dollars sent over from the mint direct ship progam and started spending them. Well it is a small island and tight community. I was always asked how do I get dollars with my name on them.... any way. I spent them all... and they will be there forever. Money rarely leaves the island....
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:Funny story.... I lived in american samoa for 2 years... got back to the mainland a few monts ago... any way.... my name is John Adams... I had 500 dollars sent over from the mint direct ship progam and started spending them. Well it is a small island and tight community. I was always asked how do I get dollars with my name on them.... any way. I spent them all... and they will be there forever. Money rarely leaves the island....

if that were the case for me, I would only use these as my payment, nothing else :D
TXBullion

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I did not think about it until I was getting ready to leave.... otherwise there would have been a lot more left on the island
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 pm

I think I still have a roll of two of Washington if you want to buy them at face plus postage.
Copper Catcher

Postby dp2007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 pm

I bought $250 of George Washington dollars from the US mint just the other day. Used my credit card and it was processed as a regular charge.
dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

I went to a Forest Street bank in Wally world the other day and asked the teller if they had any "other unusual" coins around. She handed me a large cup that was FULL of those things. I don't collect them... but just FYI... if you are interested in collecting them... just ask a teller! I've learned you NEVER KNOW what tellers have laying around! Most of the time they are more than willing to part with "uncommon" coins.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing