Generational Planning: An eye toward the future.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Generational Planning: An eye toward the future.

Postby aristobolus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 am

Greetings fellow hoarders. I have not posted for several years, but am back. My three sons are now grown up a bit which affords me a little time to maybe start sorting/searching again.

One thought I have had for some time is that hoarding precious metals in order to profit for one's self is only part of the story. While sorting pennies several years ago, I told my kids that years from now the United States will not exist as it does today, if at all. Little or none of it's language, culture and the like will endure as it was in its glory. However, similar to the Great Empires of the past (Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, etc.) its coinage will retain worth commensurate with the value of the metal in it.

In light of this, one way of approaching building a hoard of copper, silver and gold is to not only look toward handing it down to the next generation, but also to teach them to add to it by sorting and training their children as well. After a few hundred years the heirs may be able to live off of the accumulated wisdom.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Re: Generational Planning: An eye toward the future.

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:26 am

welcome back, we've missed you :wave:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am

Ditto to the welcome back...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Shazbot57 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Welcome back and ditto your logic!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Long term strategic planning. The ability to look out several generations.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:53 pm

exactly!!! Just put yourself into a great grand parents shoes back in 1900. (+/-) and just think about a bag of pennies or nickels or dimes, etc... I have just this going right now. Down from my mom to me to my daughter and then one of her kids. Something today that means little to us will be of value to great grand kids...

The trick is giving them the knowledge to use that stash as leverage and not to spend it.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:44 am

Nice post! TPTB seem intent on ensuring that those who buy PMs do not benefit from their investment; at least not in the immediate future. So if we do not live to enjoy the fruits of our efforts, we can at least take some solace in the idea that our wealth and (hopefully) our knowledge will be passed down to future generations.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing