Copper hunting in OKC

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper hunting in OKC

Postby Josh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Hello all. Brand new copper hunter here. Anybody else out their hunting in the OKC area. I've done about 6 bricks so far and really enjoying it. I got the ryedale sniper coming next week so that's going to be awesome. Tomorrow I'm picking up several 50$ bags to get ready for the sniper.
Josh

Re: Copper hunting in OKC

Postby Country » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 pm

WELCOME!! :)

I think you'll find RealCent very interesting and a wealth of information too.

Hope you find lots of COPPERs. :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes OK is more of a "newer economy area" and if the theory holds true, you may be getting slightly lower copper % so you just have to sort more
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Welcome OKC...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Josh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks. One good thing is we have some banks that have free coin counters. That will save a lot of time on my dumping.
Josh

Postby CU Baker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi and welcome. When you get your snipper and you plug it in the first time you hear a beep,start your sort. Just make sure your coin is in the comparitor and your set. If you hear a three second beep its because a cu has fallen into the zinc bin and you need to look and get it out and then look for the second one. Most likely if there is one the second one followed it. No use letting two go back in the zinc dump. Just have the soap ready at the sink when your done. Its a fun little machine and you will enjoy it, good luck.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello and welcome to the hobby. There's a ton of valuable information on this site and it was a great asset to me as a "newbie". By the way my parents both grew up in Shawnee and I still have uncles, aunts and cousins there--a beautiful small town. :D
"IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO WIN THE GAME I WOULD PICK MICHAEL JORDEN...IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO SAVE MY LIFE I WOULD PICK LARRY BIRD"--Pat Riley, Laker Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Finder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Welcome,

Im getting about 22% south of you in Fort Worth.

Coinstar loves me.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Josh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm getting about 20% also. Your taking the dumps to coinstar? No free machines in Fort Worth?
In OKC we have a bank call Midfirst and they have free counters. Don't even have to be a member of the bank.
Josh

Postby hirbonzig » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:47 pm

I am from Wisconsin, but I was working in OKC for the month of September last year. I did not have alot of time to sort while I was there, so I brought home some rolls of cents to sort later. I still have not yet opened the rolls--so I'll open them tonight and report my copper percentage. I did find 4 silver quarters at a McDonalds in Warr Acres, so try some rolls of quarters too. You might get lucky in OKC!
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Josh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 pm

How did you find the ones at McDonalds, in change or took a peak in the register? ;)
Also does anybody know if the coinstar machines reject silver. I think this question might be hard to answer. At a local bank they have a free coinstar machine and the bank will let me buy the bags. Would it be worth getting a quarter bag and silver hunt?? I just bought two penny bags yesterday from them.

Thanks
Josh

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:32 pm

Josh wrote:How did you find the ones at McDonalds, in change or took a peak in the register? ;)
Also does anybody know if the coinstar machines reject silver. I think this question might be hard to answer. At a local bank they have a free coinstar machine and the bank will let me buy the bags. Would it be worth getting a quarter bag and silver hunt?? I just bought two penny bags yesterday from them.

Thanks

I got one silver quarter in my change and then went back to the same register and asked for the quarters in the drawer. After getting an odd stare from the cashier she gave me about $7 in quarters. I ended up finding 3 more silver quarters. My guess is that someone that day paid for their lunch with a handfull of silver quarters and that I was in the right place at the right time to find 'em. I never had luck finding silver quarters by searching boxes-I only find them in change every 3-5 years or so. But I still will pick up a box of quarters about once or twice a year--just to give it a shot.
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

10 rolls of cents from Oklahoma City
127 CU---25.4%
1 wheat--1956-D
----------------------------------------------------
10 rolls of cents from Topeka, Kansas
108 CU---21.6%
no wheats
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby newton7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Welcome aboard Josh.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby WileE » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:30 am

I hand sort in the Moore area. I can expect 20% Cu plus 2-3% 1982's from Brinks boxes. I hope you were stocked up for this blizzard!
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:28 am

WileE wrote:I hand sort in the Moore area. I can expect 20% Cu plus 2-3% 1982's from Brinks boxes. I hope you were stocked up for this blizzard!

Oh no! It finally happened. This is NOT good. :shock:

My arch-nemesis is here. I don't think we can resolve our differences peacefully. :evil:

Nah, just jokin' man, welcome aboard! :mrgreen:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby WileE » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:23 pm

I have a new plan! Where is my ACME catalogue?
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:37 am

Finder wrote:Welcome,

Im getting about 22% south of you in Fort Worth.

Coinstar loves me.

Just curious, when you go to coinstar, do you take the gift card or pay the fee? I'm new to sorting and have yet to dump, save for the first and last time I did at work. I'm thinking of using coinstar and getting a gift card.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing