Moving day at the credit union

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Moving day at the credit union

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:32 pm

A nearby branch of my credit union is moving to a new location across the street from their current location. Today is the last day at the current place and after moving over the long holiday weekend they will open up at the new place Tuesday morning. I stopped in to pick up pennies and offered to buy up all that they had so they would not have to haul them to the new place. The teller was thrilled. She went and gathered all of the rolls of pennies from the vault and from each of the other tellers' drawers. I was expecting to get of ton of customer wrapped coins. Another branch had told me that they like to avoid the expense of a coin service company and usually wind up keeping all the rolled coins that customers bring in and only get rid of them when other customers ask for them.

Was I going to hit the mother lode of customer wrapped pennies today? Nope. What the teller rounded up for me was $4 in CWRs and $23 in Loomis rolls of shiny new 2014's. I also asked for halves but somone else had stopped in earlier and bought up all they had.

I did manage to exchange $10 of these new pennies for $10 of Brinks wrapped regular blend at a bank down the street. Another bank let me exchange the remaining $13 in new pennies for $13 in CWRs. They were so happy to replace those darn CWRs with shiny new pennies that their business customers will eventually ask for.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Moving day at the credit union

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm

While it may have not panned out as you hoped, it was a good approach for you to offer...and may pay dividends at a later date.

8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 pm

You should have asked if there was any old bank equipment that they didn't want or need anymore.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 pm

highroller4321 wrote:You should have asked if there was any old bank equipment that they didn't want or need anymore.

I didn't think about asking about equipment or supplies. They did offer to let me take their penny roll container if I promised to return it. It was one of those red plastic things that hold $25 in rolls. I had brought my own canvas bad so I didn't borrow that from them.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing