just getting started...good find, i think?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

just getting started...good find, i think?

Postby geewhzz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:50 am

Hi everyone,

newbie to the site, and am having a blast reading around the archived forums. I've been following the metals market for a while now and coin collecting has peaked my interest ever since I went through a small coin collection my grandfather left me. He has some good jems in there such as some Indian Head rolls, Wheats, and plenty of coins containing silver, such as uncirculated proof sets, etc.

I think I'm starting to become an addict to this stuff. Still working on finding a decent dump-bank. Drove around to many today and couldn't find any with a coin machine in the lobby. One CU had a Coinstar but they charged 8% for non-members and 4% for members. I've been around to many banks buying pennies and the ones I seem to have the most luck at are BoA's which just easily give me the $25 boxes and don't look at me funny. The others I tried don't seem to have boxes, or if they do they aren't used to someone buying them off the streets maybe? My one idea for getting rid of zincs are to just take $1 in rolls into work 5 days a week and exchanging them with the rolls the business gets from the bank. Obviously I'll still build up plenty more zincs, but I figure this will be a good way to not annoy the banks too much. Any advice on this front will be very useful for me.

Anyways, at another BoA I bought $25 and they didn't give me a box but rather 5 rubber banded wraps of $5 each. I was sorting through them with pretty good success (i'm tracking my finds/percentages in an excel as I'm a hand-sorter), the last $5 rubber band I got to, I noticed on the penny rolls they were labeled 96D, 95D, 95D, 84D, 82D, 80D, 77D, 77D, and 65P.

So out of the $5 bag I got 250 / 500 = 50% copper. Not bad...

Also so far I got a decent Wheatie that looks like a good value a 1911 which seems to have the best numismatic value of all the Wheats I've gotten so far.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself!
-geewhzz
geewhzz

Re: just getting started...good find, i think?

Postby Roadrunner » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Welcome! Nice % on that 10 buck lot. Did you make sure the 82's were copper?
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:22 pm

welcome as well. If you or your parents can use them, just get the gift cards out of the coinstar machine and you pay no fees.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby geewhzz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:58 pm

I haven't checked if the 82s were copper yet, but I setup the Popsicle stick test to check for that.
geewhzz

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:47 am

Welcome to the madness.

Glad to hear there is another hand sorter joining our midst. Especially one that likes to keep stats. :ugeek: I enjoy looking back on those some days as much as I enjoy sorting.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:00 am

Welcome to the game. Not bad results at all for you. Keep up the searches.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing